Classical Dressage Bit Question

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Northern Peregrine, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

Well I'm willing to give anything a go...not involving heights or eating veal...and I am going to a Classical Dressage Clinic at Brookleigh on Saturday. I do not know much, if anything, about Classical Dresssage as opposed to Normal Dressage ( if I may call it that) which is the form that I normally have a crack at. I'm suspecting it's PK based as we have been asked to do some reading on that good gentleman before Saturday...I haven't yet. I am worried though because we also have to ride with a thickish single jointed snaffle and no hanoverian noseband. I usually ride with a noseband and Sprenger KK loose or D ring bit. Those on here who know ( or have ridden) The Perry, also know that he is a huge strong so-and- so. I have emailed the lady running the clinic..she sounds lovely, btw.. outlining my concerns about the bit, in particular. She says the classical method doesn't rely on the low hands and the tongue pressure that the KK involves. I believe her ( I think I do) and am willing to have a go at this. Have bought a really lightweight single jointed snaffle today and ( with tears in my eyes) have removed my hanoverian nose band from my bridle. I haven't tested this theory at home yet ( God no!) and I'm just worried that, on Saturday I'll end up on the Great Northern Highway on a unstoppable Warmblood ( an exaggeration, I know) I don't really want to start a PK debate but will what I am about to be shown on Saturday, convert me to single jointedness? And more importantly, will I live through the experience!? :eek:

2. pso

pso Gold Member

I'm just up the road- I'll catch him if I see him running past!*#)

The single joint is more severe- so in theory you should have MORE control, not less ;)

3. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

yep that's what I thought PSO.

Single joint especially no good for horses with low palates - at the end of the day how many horses have high palates LOL

I have my mare in a NS bit - similair to KK. I put her in a single joint loose ring once and she was flicking her head like hell, back in the jointed bit and she was fine... :) I get what they are saying with the noseband, but the bit makes no sense to me.

I was looking at going to the clinic too but I found it strange that they dont/wont advertise who the actual instructor/trainer is?? If I'm paying for a lesson I want to know who its with LOL *#)

4. Northern Peregrine

Oh right..I thought because the clinic is based on a less is more principle ( I assume that's the principle) that the severity of the bit would naturally be less. I did try it on him and it seems to be slipping about already without the noseband. It is the same size as the KK..I'm just worried that he might take advantage of the relative freedom. He tends to exploit any weaknesses on my part ..I give an inch and he takes a mile
    By the way the "normal" dressage and the KK aren't working that well for me anyway. Just 54 % in the last Prelim test. Above the bit and bolshy as hell in the canter. I'm a desperate woman. :)

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

NP I'm going to the same clinic and I emailed the instructor with concerns about the bits too.
    My horse isn't strong and doesn't wear a noseband for anything other the decoration but I'm not happy about having to put my horse into a single jointed bit.
    I don't like them, don't own one and am certainly not about to rush out and buy one for the sake of one clinic.
    Not only are double jointed bits not allowed at the clinic, nor are what she deems 'thin bits' ? Define thin *#)
    My horse has no room in her mouth for a thick bit and I was also advised by the dentist to avoid putting anything in her mouth that has a nut cracker action.
    Maybe I'm thick, but I wish the original flyer had specified what bits were acceptable before I booked my spot. Might had thought twice about it.

Don't stress too much. The clinic is being held indoors and is starting with ground work and then some riddern work but mainly walk and trot.
    Tell you what, I'll man the gates and make sure they're all shut while your lesson's on if it makes you feel safer :D

B&T we contacted the instuctor before booking to find out who she was, then googled her because we also found it odd that no name was mentioned on the flyer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  6. Northern Peregrine

No it didn't state who would be instructing...I just assumed it wasn't Phillipe Karl. It's run by a lady named Rebecca. The line of the advert that sold me on the clinic was " Learn to develop such a fantastic bond with your horse that he YEARNS for you to ride him" I want Perry to YEARN for me :)

7. Northern Peregrine

Yes I'm probably a bit silly (no pun intended) by going out and buying one. :eek: What time are you booked for ZaZa..I'm on at 10.50

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

NP the instructor is bringing some spare bits with her for those that need to borrow one.
    I think I'm on after you NP. About 11.30 or 11.45 ?? (Can't remember how long the lessons run for)
    My friend will be riding her little black and white fresian W/B and I'll be on the feral chestnut T/B that knows abolutely nothing
    about being a dressage horse :p

9. Northern Peregrine

I'm on a big bay warmblood...I'll watch out for you :) Yes she said she'd bring spares..I just didn't know if she'd have one big enough for Perry's massive honk. I have now decided to try riding with the single jointed bit tomorrow and see how he goes in it at home. If it makes matters even worse, I'll pass the bit on to my daughter ( her horse which doesn't care what bit he has )and rock up with the KK anyway..at the risk of being expelled :)

10. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

wow - im amazed that a clinic would control what gear you were/werent allowed to wear (within reason- obviously harsh gear is generally a no-no anywhere) ... pretty sure they would be more concerned about teaching the principles and 'advising' gear choices than enforcing it... pretty sure last time i checked classical dressage was more deeply rooted than gear choices?! last time i had a chat to 'my' classical instructor about bits he said that the horse should be comfortable - the bit should be thin without being harsh for that horses level of education but not fat so as to hinder the mouth and softness of the jaw. as for nosebands he also indicated that drops were a brilliant training tool for young horses to help them hold the bit (not jam their gobs shut) and should be worn (not tight) by any horse who does not have the level of training and muscle to carry the bit correctly. when the horse is of a decent level simply use a cavesson to dress the face... para-phrasing the convo. and were not exactly talking your garden variety trainer here. I love classical dressage but would hate to see it go down the parelli path (blind religious devotion).

i too was interested in the clinic but was put off by them not advertising the trainer - made me wonder what they had to hide?

11. Northern Peregrine

Well I was wondering about why it should matter so much..that's why I emailed her. I mean he has been going fairly happily in the KK for several years ( in spite of what I said before, we do have some good days..sometimes really good days) so to HAVE to use something else did seem a little strange. I have done other dressage clinics ( not classical though) and there was never any gear stipulations with those. It seems like this is something you go the whole hog for or not at all. Anyway will see how we get on with it tomorrow and Saturday. I guess I'm just hoping it might turn out to be a good thing.

12. pso

pso Gold Member

aha- diablo is running this? Rebecca Desmond? or a different Rebecca?

13. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I was just having a convo with someone and we talked about this exact same thing.
    Appears that the single jointed snaffle is the equivalent of the carrot stick ;)

PSO - Rebecca McDonnell

14. pso

pso Gold Member

Thanks Zaza

Same girl- new name ;)

Thought the ad sounded familiar

15. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

mmmm:rolleyes: I will be watching with interest how it goes. I wish Robyn Surrey would come over to perth... one of the many things I miss about Victoria! :) NP have a great time hey :D**)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  16. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

sorry but if I went to a clinic and was told to change my bit from one which was bought specifically to fit my horse, and she goes well in it anyway, and change to a bit that I know doesn't work...well I would be loading my horse on the float and leaving.

I am now rather glad that I didn't book a space.

And yep, some person different name...;)

17. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'm not impressed about it but it's booked and paid for and there's zero chance of getting my money back. Had I been aware of the the do's and don'ts beforehand, would I have booked a place ...... hell no.
    All I can do now is go there with an open mind, see what it's all about and try to take home some little part of it that just might work for me :)

18. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

ZaZa, I'm tagging along with you and M on Saturday just to see what its about. The ad kind of suggested that it was open to all levels (even zilch) of dressage training and i was half thinking of going with Easy. I chickened out but am sort of glad I did. I ride in a double jointed loosering, have done for years. I can't remember the last time I used a noseband. So it would have been a bit strange for him to have the different gear on but I'm pretty sure he would have coped OK :eek:

I am going to listen and learn with a very open mind. I am prepared to be edumacated ;) I don't know enough about any form of dressage to be making comment at this stage. :))

19. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

NP....you will have to ride him with alot of seat!

I found riding him that is what he needs, plus also alot of bending and stretching, he has alot of power but you must be able to control it and starting with the seat is the best way....

I know that will be hard, but you must sit heavy and half halt all the time with him!

20. lex

lex Well-known Member

Think about it this way - if something does go wrong atleast your in the best possible place for it to go wrong, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.