Class of horse or pony in minis

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by WP Miniatures, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

:)*

Still with the info packs, each society is only going to provide the rules for their own society, I cant see them explaining what to do in relation to another societies rules that conflict with theirs.

2. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

sassy, we are not asking them too ..we are just saying that the info pack is sent out to all new members along with a greeting and their membership card, rules etc all relevant info such as all the forms that you need ie foal recording, upgrades, work forms, etc.. and an explanation about them and stallion/mare returns and anything else in general about their society. NMR are pretty good, though in their definitions they could give more detailed with pics in regards to pony characteristics and horses, (you may be comfortable with this but obviously others are not) but the only access to this information with the MHAA is by the net which not everyone has access too, so the only way to learn about the process for MHAA is when you get it wrong you get slugged a $11 fine, and keep getting slugged until you get it right, great PR work for new members dont you reckon.. If the info is put to the members first and then they get it wrong, fair enough and anyway, why are you so opposed to a society greeting their members and telling them a little about the society and what is required along with your states info such as state delegate and what your state offers, this little pack is pre packed so is not difficult and is sent along with your membership card, rule book etc

3. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Who said I was opposed? who would be?

Im just saying perhaps you all expect too much, or just simply havent looked at what you actually were given.
    I keep everything and just checked - I have 3 MHAA books: Show Rules, General Rues & Regulations and the Constitution.
    Now I have just had a quick flick through - Show Rules has Eligibility information, presentation, heights, judges, stewards, drugs, ring procedures, harness, protests...
    Rules & Regulations has info on membership, measurement procedures, rights, penalties, records - including stallion breeding reports info on dates due and service certificates etc etc, importing, leasing, breeding, AI, code of ethics, SOE.
    And then the constitution as well which is full of more stuff.

Again I ask - what more do you want?????

4. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

Yes I also recieved those 3 booklets.. now I ask you sassy, how did you get and know about all the relevant forms..ie upgrades, works order sheet, transfers, returns, State info without going on their website
    Dont assume everyone has computer access

5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I grew up on a stud, I just knew :p - plus if you read my post, ALL of that info is in the rules and regulations book.

NMR send forms out every year, the membership, returns, upgrades, transfer forms etc one of each, I photocopied them all so I would have a supply.

MHAA dont that I can remember, but if you read the rule book it says on page 9 that forms are required annually, page 12 explains the registration procedure. surely you dont have to be a genius to realise you need to get forms from somewhere - if you dont have the net to print them from the site, then make a phone call & get them sent out.

I get it that you think the societies should provide more info, but in all honesty, I cant work out what information you dont already have that you are wanting :confused:

6. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

sassy to be perfectly honest, we are going around in circles, right from the start we said we were talking about people that didnt grow up on studs etc, if you had read my posts then you wuld have read a few times that NMR do supply forms etc, so that we can photocopy..

to be honest if you cant work it out, what we have suggested then I honestly dont think you ever will, and this is just going on for arguments sake, we have stated in black and white what we would like in the info pack, cant do any more than that :(

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

who's arguing Di? you?

Yeah, going around in circles, not because I cant work it out, because you havent given me anything different!

Yup, read my posts again. all the info is in the 3 books that every MHAA member gets, for those new, to thos who already know, and for anyone else who bothers to read them!

8. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I was a member of the apsb back in non computer days and didn't get sent a million forms. I got my forms sent out or collected them while at shows. Stud returns etc.. are sent out automatically though. I do agree with Sassy, surely if you want to know what you need to send in, just ring up and ask.

But I do agree some societies might need some clearer definition between horse and pony.
    Cheers

Danni

9. rpmm

rpmm New Member

With definitions of horse and pony each Association does have a Standard of Excellence which is supposed to define a "horse" and "pony". I know in MHAA some people do show pony types and in NMR vice versa. The AMHA in America does not have horse/pony types they are just called miniature horses. A lot of American blood has been introduced to miniatures in Australia and some of the imported stock in the early days was pony type. It is only as time has gone on that horses have got finer and finer. In the early days in WA most people bred with small Shetlands and some of these were dual registered APSB and AMPS. When MHAA did have classification if a horse was a registered Shetland it was refused. A lot of people also transferred their AMPS registered stock to MHAA if it passed classification. You also could use a MHAA stallion/mare and a AMPS stallion/mare and register the resultant foal. Then they stopped it and you had to have two MHAA parents. That is probably why there are some finer boned ponies around.

10. WP Miniatures

WP Miniatures Active Member

This takes us back in the circle we weave to my original question...

There is a definition of what is a horse or pony but no policing of it as people show what they want in what class they want. IMO

CM:)))

11. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

WP, are you suggesting that anything that doesnt meat the SOE should be not allowed in the ring?

The problem isnt with horse being in the ring that dont match the SOE, its with the judges placing them *#)

12. WP Miniatures

Agreed. That a first for us Sassy on here and for that a pressy. LOL

[​IMG]

13. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Ooh YAY I got a present!!!

Thanks WP :) (got anymore of us? hehe)

14. WP Miniatures

Not sure I will go through then and check if I do I will PM them to you, It is hard to take photos and show at the same time, so I am unsure what i have LOL
    :)*

15. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

:)* No probs WP, no rush! Is fantastic there were so many camera's snapping throughout the day :)

16. rpmm

rpmm New Member

Yes WP that is exactly right. There is no policing of it. The question is "who would police it?". Again the onus is on the owner to determine what their animal is and then on the judge to judge the animal according to the "Standard of Excellence". I have known the occasional judge to comment "this should be in pony" or vice versa but it is very rare. I wish we could change it but I think it will be a long hard battle. The first thing we need to do is correct the height so both MHAA and NMR show under the same height rules. Whether this will get the right vote remains to be seen.

17. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

Yes rpmm, I agree with you exactly **) it would be very hard to police, prehaps more training/promotional days with people such as yourself and a few other "experienced" breeders could be of benefit as well as a good get together :))
    I remember going to a few field days with arabians years ago, they were awesome!!

18. rpmm

rpmm New Member

Yes Delrae that is what I suggested in a few previous posts but had no takers. Field Days are the best way for people to learn whether experienced or inexperienced really. Plus people get to know one another. I think MHAA have been thinking of doing a field day just need to get it organised and find out how many people would be interested.

19. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

oops sorry rpmm, I missed it, but yep I'll be in that for sure, let me know if you need any help **)

20. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

:)* rpmm I think an educational day would be good for members and especially new members. If someone is willing to organise one anyway :p

I can bring my ponies for examples - Tam is clearly horse, Spice is clearly pony (altho MHAA reg) lol