Claire gel?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Que, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Que

Que New Member

I have a horse that a trainer has suggested supplementing with "Claire gel" not sure of spelling? does anyone know anything about it & is it something I get from a vet or stockfeeder?

2. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

You have to get it from the vet's has a swab time for racing so not sure about a pleasure/show horse.

I have used it before under vet guidence for a horse a couple of years ago who suffered alot of wind/throat problems in turn he would was suseptiable to becoming ill alot. It would help clear his air way. Horse is proberly not a good example to use he was a very expensive horsey with lots of issues that stemed from his throat problem. He even had a $500 bottle of immune stimulant at one stage.

I do know some people get Claire gel for horses that have suffered a flu or are suffering to help try clear moucis.

some info from just googling.

Vetsearch | News | Press Releases

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The usual name is Oralject its for upper respiratory infections as its a bronchodilator. So if a horse has a cold or wind issues it is very good.

Can be used with antibiotics too I think.

If the horse has breathing issues that affect its training either during or after work I'd suggest getting it scoped. A horse cannot and will not perform its best if it has breathing difficulties.

Breathing problems affect the lungs which affects the heart which affects the horse.

Lots of horses with "breathing" problems won't try either.

4. kp

kp Well-known Member

Claire Gel is clenbuterol. There are a few different names it goes under. It can be administered orally or mixed in feed. It can be available with an antibiotic or without. It is very good for coughing horses. However it can't be given for long periods of time continously. If a horse needs to be on it for a long period of time most vets recomend two weeks on treatment followed by one week without treatment. It must be supplied by a vet and is a substance that will produce a positive swab.

5. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

we had it prescribed by a vet for a pony that had a bad cold, a few years ago.

from memory i think i was told to make sure i stuck to the prescribed dose for his weight/size as overdosing would make them hypo, like someone with way too much caffeine in their system, which in turn put strain on the heart and other organs.

6. Que

Que New Member

Thanks for all the replies:)* I will give it a go & see if it makes a difference;)

7. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

This stuff is beautiful. And it smells amazing, you can understand why it helps there airways and lungs. OH administers it with a syringe, find it easiest. I have heard body builders do anything to get their hands on it aswell haha

8. Que

Que New Member

I haven't started using it yet but I'll go have a sniff hehe :D so why would body builders want it if its for airways? :confused:

9. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

Que;

body builders use it because of the effect that Clenbuterol has on their body.

Clenbuterol speeds up your heart rate, which in turn, mimicks your body doing minor exercise, so your body burns more fat when you are actually doing nothing.

For body builders (keep in mind, they are already extremely toned), this is brilliant close to competition time, as it strips the body of excess fat, which then expose the muscles even more.

The amount taken varies with the individual. Some people can handle more than others (like horses).
    But the amount required is easy to work out.

Everyone, please remember this is not recommended for human use- especially if you have pre existing heart problems.

10. Que

Que New Member

Far out ! :eek: thats pretty scarey no way I wouldnt risk taking an animal drug especially 1 that increases heart rate *#)

11. tenille1

tenille1 New Member

claire gel

My horse is suffering from a really bad cold and I am after claire gel for her. Does any body have any they would sell, or know where to get it. :)

12. kp

kp Well-known Member

You have to get it from your vet.

13. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

Claire gel can be wonderful for some horses and have a scary effect on others. My hack was prescribed it when he was a 2 y/o and in work (racing) and he had a reaction to it that scared me heaps. He stood in his yard and shook and shook and that was only 5ml of it. So anyone out there trying to get it please go through your vet as if there are side effects the vet knows how to treat them should they be called back...
    As any drug, I strongly recommend that only vet prescribed drugs be administered to your horses! They can be very dangerous things given either the wrong way or the wrong dose!!!

I've known of horses who have dropped dead from incorrect drug use....

14. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Seriously advise any human you know who uses this product to stop the way it makes your body use protien means that you can not consume enough. Protien will then be stripped from your liver,kidneys,heart to make up the short fall for humans that live for eighty or so years this is very very bad. it is fine for the short term use in animals who only live for ~30 years.

15. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

worked really well for my horse joe ... he was so dopey wouldnt have hurt if it woke him up a bit lol// he had like hay fever and would cough and cough when i rode him
    thats him in my avatar pic

16. Claire_lovesClen

Claire_lovesClen New Member

What are the symptoms? When you say cold, do you mean it has equine flu? Or do you mean your horse needs a vasodilator? It's a strong drug so best get the vet to administer it. Make sure you don't touch the stuff, it will make you shake.

You could try calling your local equine vet to visit your horse in the field. Failing that, you could always go and ask a GP.

17. Firedance

Firedance Well-known Member

Have seen trainers use Vicks vaporub on horses for years and years. Just a little up both nostrils will make the horse sneeze out a lot of rubbish they can't get rid of and of course clears the head. No it doesn't sting in the slightest - actually tried it myself when I had a head cold - worked a treat.

This product copped a caning when dopey parents rubbed in on the chests and heads of newborn babies, naturally causing an overwhelming effect of fumes.

Like everything, what works for one won't work for everyone - but have seen this product used this way on horses for years and years with no ill effect whatsoever.

and here comes the tidal wave..........................