Chronic Windsucker...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

I thought the miracle collar didn't work at first, then my O/H told me i was being to soft on him and tightened it and he stopped it straight away.

2. There's a miracle collar on my mate's stallion and it doesn't stop him!!! It certainly lessens it though.

3. naughtydog63

naughtydog63 Well-known Member

My boy eats the wooden fences, in his paddock, this is crib bitting isn't it? The only way to stop that would be to electrify it or smother it with stuff that don't taste so good. It's only the wood though? I guess it'd be much the same as a horse ring barking the tree, is that considering crib bitting?

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Zola, I know someone who bought a horse who had the operation to stop him windsucking.

Horse still did it (chronically, he wore his front teeth down :( ) and because of the operation he had scar tissue on his throat and so the collars didn't work properly either!

My boy isn't too bad (mainly at meal times or when he knows we are looking :p )... and he is a thoroughbred who keeps needing to go on a diet. So don't believe people when they say you need to feed a windsucker lots... it doesn't affect the weight on some horses :D

5. Seahorse

Seahorse Well-known Member

Wasn't their some suggestion that cribbing/windsucking might be a response to pain from gastric ulcers, especially in a younger horse?

If it were my horse, I might consider that as an option to investigate. Scoping by a vet could pick it up, or I think some recommend feeding ulcerguard for a while, and seeing if it helps.

6. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Yikes! The noise they make drives me to insanity lol, my gelding used to be stabled across from one and I was terrified that he would pick it up, he tends to lick and bite things, so he wouldn't be hard to teach. I moved stables pretty quickly! :D

I put Likits in my stables, as mine were stabled 24/7 (WIWO, not boxed!) That helped alot with boredom issues. They also had ad lib hay of course. I doubt that would stop her cribbing though, they tend to be poor doers as they will suck rather than eat :( .

If the collar works I would keep her collared 24/7, give her tons of hay, and hope she doesn't teach her foal this habit! That is the real worry with the cribbers and suckers.

7. Zola

Zola New Member

Hey Jumping Bean, I used to worry that my gelding would teach any horse that was with him. But he came from a huge herd of horses and was the only windsucker amongst them. None of the horses I had while I had him ever looked like windsucking.
    Mind you they were never stabled or yarded, so maybe that was the key, no confinement so no boredom and copying.
    The worst habit one of mine has at the moment is pawing! At everything. Even while he eats (from a feedbin), he spends half his time pawing the ground. It would be quite funny if it werent so annoying!

Ah, yes I have seen the miracle collar! Looks very easy to remove to me!
    By the horse that is:p

RG

8. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

i had ten race horses in work at my old place and one windsucker none of the others picked it up ,,,,if they going to do it they do it simple as that

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had my VERY mouthy playful gelding paddocked with a thoroughbred I used to own who did it and he was also paddock with Gracie and never picked up on it.
    I've ended up going with the miricle colar as I can understand how the cheaper one can slip so I'll update you all and let you know how its going when it arrives!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  10. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Well then you are very lucky!! I have seen foals pick it up from their dams unfortunately, and also several horses in one stable that decided it was a great idea :( . I know that many horses don't pick it up, but if one does, that is one too many! I don't take the risk.

11. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I well and truly ditto that JB. :) **)

12. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I would never buy a windsucker or cribber. I know they are mostly lovely horses otherwise, but I have too many horses here to take the chance!:confused: #(

I have my reasons why I guess.:D

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Just letting you all know her miracle colour arrived today and she's not wind sucking anymore :D.

14. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Good news!

15. Good to hear it has helped.

I have 2 windsuckers on the place at the moment and apart from annoying me with the habit, it is causing no other harm. Neither are chronic, both have decent teeth and both forget about the habit with grazing/company. None of the other horses here have picked it up and both look in fantastic condition (and one is 19!)

The yarded boy is collared but I see no point in collaring the other one at the moment.