Chronic Windsucker...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Arnie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

As some people know my broodie is a chronic windsucker, I never knew she was so bad until I camped out the last three night with that all she was doing.
    When she is collared (miricle colar) she doesn't windsuck at all but it was stolen from me by someone who accused me of trying to choke her and was told I was cruel!!!
    Anyway I've ordered another miricle colar but thought I'd try her in the other sort to see if that works aswell rather then wearing the big thing.
    But my question is, I had been meaning to check her teeth, when I twitched her today he teeth are worn down almost over half way! And one has a big chip in it, she certainly won't be able to pasture feed much longer the way she's going.
    But if I put a colar on her 24/7 seeing she's not ridden and won't be for a very long time can this ruin her breathing when its taken off?
    Are there any other remedies?
    Thankyou in advance.

P.S I noticed last night after a long period of windsucking (actually didn't someone correct me once and say it was crib biting?) when she'd put her head down to the ground it would all come straight back out her nose with a horrible sound.

2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

The collar is the best option and will stop her from doing it. :))
    You can't replace her teeth, so she has to stop. I know a horse who has it on all the time without a problem, but it's hidden under a combo. ;)

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

For a short time, i had a gorgeous black with chrome Welsh stallion, whom i got in poor condition & a cronic crib-biter with worn down top teeth.
    I had to take his collar of the night he arrived as his gullet area was red raw :(.
    I found his cribber was minimised by having 24/7 access to hay, which he also needed as he was thin, but by standing at the hay & eating he forgot about cribbing.
    But he never would get over it & when his neck healed, the collar had to go back on, his teeth were in bad shape & i couldnt have him latching on to anything, including his knee. :(
    He's now in a new home & i've seen pics of him on the studs website, collar-less, i doubt he's stopped cribbing but i should ask the owners how he's going.

Annoying habit isnt it?

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Sure is an annoying habit!
    Good idea about they hay. I was going to start buying round bales of hay to replace whats lost in the paddock and I guess if I put it in the most centred part of the paddock this would help.
    Which colar has worked best for you guys? I have only used the miricle colar on her and she won't do it at all but always love the cheaper option :D.

5. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

LOL, Arnie I never had a windsucker, but I would say, go with what has worked for her. :D

6. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I always left mine on 24/7 and never had a problem. I had to because he nearly had no front teeth left lol.

7. beau

beau Well-known Member

One of my broodies is a cronic windsucker as well, and we use the miracle collar, but no matter how tight she has it she still manages to get it twisted, at the moment she is in which 5 of my other broodies and no collar and I have noticed she does not do it when she is in company and has lots to munch on. I do have her teeth checked regularly. I have also used the cheaper ones but left her neck really sore. With one make sure that you clean the leather regularly as its the sweat build up that makes them sore.

I am taking her so stud this weekend so I know that she will have to wear it as I know she will suck.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  8. pso

pso Gold Member

Electricity works! electrify all fences/posts, so theres nothing for her to grab onto!

Theres a feed supplement called 'settlelex' which is meant to help windsuckers... Avail at virtual tack shop...

I've never had any probs with leaving a miracle collar on 24/7...But some horses are better in a fat strap (just a 2-3 inch wide leather strap, fastened around neck firmly) that they cant twist around...

:))

9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Cronic cribbers can & do crib on feed bins, bath tubs, a stick on the ground, even their body parts which i've dealt with (used his knee)...... even electrifying everything doesnt always help. :(

10. pso

pso Gold Member

Yep, I know!:)*
    But it can help, for the ones that use fences!
    I used to have one that would just arch his neck to windsuck....no grabbing accessory required!:)

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thats what i describe it as, so does someone very "old school", a cribber grasps an object, windsucker doesnt.

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

As Remaani said... most horses that are called "windsuckers" are actually cribbiters as they latch on to something :)

My old boy is a windsucker and I actually found the cheap nutcracker collar was better on him as the got sores from the miracle one no matter how ofter I cleaned it :(

13. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

That is right :)

14. mav

mav Well-known Member

what about 'attempting' to cover everything in that stop crib paste? i realise it wont stop really chronic ones but its revolting stuff and stopped mav having a nibble of his stable rails...

if not like everyone has said if it aint broke dont fix it!! use the method you know works for you - easier and cheaper in the long run!!

15. samm

samm Gold Member

If you want to get really really technical its called aerophagia.

16. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Haha almost sounds rude.

17. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

There is no cure for this chronic habit. :( You can only manage it by ad lib hay, paddock time with others, work/exercise etc. There are some supps available marketed for suckers like Settelex, herbal mixes etc but they will not cure it.:confused:

Once a sucker/cribber, always one!!:mad:

18. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

iv got 3 windsucker at my place and found the miracle collar dose not work as they get it off over ther ears or it rubs really bad

so iv just got a bit of leather with buckle on end and that working for mine think it was of one of my breastplate which join to the saddle and the other horse had a old stirrup leather which works too

19. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

the supplements dont stop them wsucking but it helps their gut...they can really stuff up their digestion if their chronic ...zac used to be really skinny when we got him and dint seem to matter what or how much we fed him but i got a herbal mix off one of my teachers (naturopathy) and sorted his gut probs out ..hes not too bad but we had to have a horse put down recently as he was so chronic he kept getting colic and couldnt digest anything and when we put a collar on him he kept trying and rubbed big holes in his neck..the miracle collar works really well on zac but we dont put it on him all the time as hes not as bad now as long as hes out with company and food he loves his food!!!

20. Zola

Zola New Member

My darling old t/b was a chronic "windsucker" and had a collar on always, except when we were out riding:( . I used the nut-cracker type collar and just a leather strap over the years I had him. Both seemed to work equally well. When we got him, his teeth were fairly worn and he ended up chipping a tooth at some time. Even though he couldnt windsuck, he would still grab onto things and pull back! Silly old buggar!
    The stop crib paste didnt work at all, in fact i think he developed a taste for it:) .

Whats the miracle collar look like?

I do remember a vet telling me that there was an operation that cut muscles or tendons in their throat to prevent them biting! But I dont think I would even go there!!!
    Good luck with your windsucking horse

Z