Chocolate palomino?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by CDA, Dec 6, 2010.

1. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

How on earth do you breed this colour?!

I am in love!

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I am presuming it is either a silver or a Palomino with smut';' Do you have a link??

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Like this one??? Love it!! Not to mention all that fur lol

[​IMG]

4. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Wowzerz! look at that one!! Is that a silver / taffy?

5. sil

sil Gold Member

That would be a silver

Chocolate palomino is palomino with heavy smut

6. Take a strong palomino and feed it loads of copra and sunflower seeds LMAO

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

You want mine?? ;)
    [​IMG]
    He's "smutty" and he's not even on anything darkening...

8. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Often called a chocolate palomino, this coloring is actually a Silver Dapple--a true black horse with a modifying gene (Z). The Silver Dapple gene turns the black hairs of the mane and tail to a silvery white, and the body color to a chocolate. A true chocolate palomino is a liver chestnut with a Cream gene. (ee, Cr).

[​IMG]
    This morgan is a silver dapple, often confused with a chocolate palomino.

CPEA The Palomino Color

Another silver Dapple Gypsy MVP- Jazz | Chocolate Palomino Gypsy Vanner

Choc Pal QH ---------------------------
    [​IMG]

9. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

the one that sharaway posted!!!!!

how do you breed it?

10. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

The right genetics and a lot of luck, far easier to buy one lol

11. Em

Em Well-known Member

Need a horse that carries the silver gene - it is carried alot like the dilute gene, must have one parent to pass it on - but a chestnut can carry the gene and not show it as it only affects the black points on horses. You get in a number of breeds, lots of minis and pony breeds with it and a lot of your western breeds as well. :) I love the colour!

12. Em

Em Well-known Member

hehehe - ditto to that :)

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

That is a Black Silver.

These were my Black Silver's.

Laddie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silver:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

You need the Smut gene...and then feed lots of "black feed" ...a non smutting Pally will not go that dark with any feed**)

15. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

We are hoping our new girl is a chocolate Pali. So far all signs are promising (legs and rump are now dark like eyes and muzzle) but we will not know for sure until she fully drops her foal fluff.

[​IMG]

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

This boy of mine, has the smut gene i believe, his dam is chestnut but in summer coat has a big smutty patch on her n/s hindquarter...
    I reckon with the right feeds, he might come up a fantastic dark colour, not as dark as your girl Dayna. But i LOVE smutty Pali's, LOL.

[​IMG]

17. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

Remaani - you can see it in his lower legs starting to come through already.
    I rekon he will go pretty dark.

Even though it is not 'liked' in the pali ring, I have all fingers crossed that our new girl goes very smutty, so much easier to keep in show condition than a clear coated palomino.
    We can clip without looking spastic
    Any little bit of bark off will not stand out like dogs balls due to the dark skin on Palominos.

18. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Which would be why you like that dark fellow of mine then :)

19. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Absolutely!
    Just watching him in his yard, standing tall with his chest puffed out & all proud - certainly appealed to Jenny & me!
    He's a very nice boy, didn't get to see how he did in his classes but i could watch him all day. :))

20. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

Chocolate palomino....Well this isn't the colour i was aiming for but he is striking... Jasper will b reg ASH and should b at least 16hh + he's a really lovely boy.... he has been sold already but expecting another pally foal 2011 that will b full sibling

[​IMG][/IMG]

silver is a very rare colour in QHs n stock horses