chestnut

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by rachelm, Mar 24, 2012.

1. rachelm

rachelm New Member

This foal is from 2 normal coloured chestnuts. Has anyone had a foal a similar colour and what adult colour did it look?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

A foal from 2 chestnuts can only be a chestnut. It can't possibly be another colour.

3. rachelm

rachelm New Member

Yes, I get that :) Sorry I should've asked 'What adult shade of chestnut did it go' (as in what colour did it look like, not what it genetically is). This foal for example doesn't look chestnut.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

It's hard to say what colour it is with a wet photo. Have a look at it's eyelashes.....that will be a good indicator :)

5. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

DNA test maybe? ';'

6. rachelm

rachelm New Member

We've had a lot of rain the last few weeks, such a pain! His mum in the foreground is just as wet, though. His eyes are dark, even the whites are chocolately. I'm almost tempted to have a dna test to see if they used the right stallion lol. I'm just surprised as to how he's this colour and if he may end up a normal chestnut as an adult?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

mmm he looks like hes got black points... I'd be getting DNA testing done for sure.. oh and discretely get some mane or tail hairs from the Sire {??} aswell ;)

looking forward to the results

Cheers
    Lee

8. rachelm

rachelm New Member

I know, right? His legs have turned really black. If it's dry tomorrow I'll take a pic of his legs. If he's not a chestnut, then his sire must be wrong. The mare has had an earlier foal who was a normal chestnut, and never went this colour.

9. samm

samm Gold Member

Chestnut to Chestnut can only produce chestnut however the shade of chestnut can vary greatly.This foal may indeed be whats known as a black liver chestnut which is the darkest shade of chestnut possible.Google a horse called Cherokee Mecca,he was a black liver chestnut.Liver chestnuts are thought to carry a sty(sooty) gene which gives them the depth of coat.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  10. rachelm

rachelm New Member

But can you get a black live chestnut from 2 regular colour chestnuts? Wouldn't that be unlikely? If anyone had a weanling similar colour that did grow up to be chestnut that would be reassuring . Anyone know one?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  11. samm

samm Gold Member

Yes you can as even though phenotypically the horse isn't dark itself ,genetically it's carrying the gene to produce it.

Cherokee Mecca
    [​IMG]

Cherox Iqtamma
    [​IMG]

Both Black liver chestnuts.

12. We have bred this mare: in western world they are also known as "tostados", you'd swear you are looking at a bay horse then realise there are no black points. The mane and tail are nearly black.

[​IMG]

The sire of this mare is also a tostado, all the rest of his red based progeny was normal chestnuts.

her filly foal was a "normal" chestnut but with heaps of presence!:p
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure that there is no difference between a liver and a red chestnut horse genotypes, I remeber reading about it in one of the books on color genetics.:)))

13. samm

samm Gold Member

The base gene is red,the difference is in the modifier.Just as a chestnut can carry the modifier for flaxen ,the liver can carry the modifier sty gene.
    Base though is the red gene.Theres only two colour genes red and black,everything else is a modifier.:)*

14. rachelm

rachelm New Member

That's interesting re a chestnut may have a predisposition without showing it in it's own colour. That may be whats happened. Thank you for the pics too, those horses are unusual but lovely.