Chestnut query :)

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by wattle6180, Sep 27, 2011.

1. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Am hoping a colour person might be able to assist?? I have a little chestnut with 2 hind stockings and a big blaze. No white on the fronts, but front hooves are white?? Also, his dock skin colour and anus are pink?? Tail is chestnut with a flaxen look, but mane is all red. I've never seen a pink dock and anus on a solid b4??

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Any chance of some photos?

Might be sabino :)

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Chestnuts are born with pink skin, he'll darken up in a few days. :)
    Unless they are going to go grey, the skin would then be black, well from what i've noticed.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Of course I have a billion pics :D unfortunately my laptop is broken and the memory card with the pics on it is being used for a TAFE assignment at a friend's atm. I'll go try and add a pic or two on the ancient PC :(. The blaze does extend to the bottom lip

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Wattle (regarding the front legs) my girl was born with three obviously white legs, and one leg had a white hoof but I couldn't actually see any white.

It took many months (more near weaning) for it to become obvious!

I'll find a picture...maybe this is the case?

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Ohhhhhh, I didn't know that !! :D But his other skin areas aren't pink like his ass :p ';'

Pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Pink skin around his eyes? (if so, that'll darken).

I have pics of mine, likes of Flame, Fanta etc but hard to see in the pics - the changes.

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Here you go Wattle, nearside hind:

[​IMG]

And two days ago (ignore the injury :p):

[​IMG]

It took about 6 months for it to start to define.

9. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Don't think he will go grey :p. 5 generations of bays and chestnuts only....with one dun in there :)

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Ok, Fanta... check the feet out. ;)

Off fore, white hoof (solid coloured leg).

[​IMG]

Off fore, black. ;)

[​IMG]

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

LOL knew that :) but if he had a Grey parent & was going to go Grey, the skin is usually already dark (black).

12. mineees

mineees Gold Member

all of our chestnuts and red duns have had pink skin untill they get a bit older...:)

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

To be honest, I'd prefer the fronts to stay red :). Our Charlie-colt did the same thing now that u mention it Arnie :(

Remaani, eyelid skin colour looks brownish pink? Much darker than the skin under his tail

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh no, injury or the sad attempt of white? lol

15. mineees

mineees Gold Member

forgot to say thunder had 4 white hooves and now has 4 black...

16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I don't understand? Sorry, very, very tired :eek:

17. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Sorry...now I get it :eek:. He had one hoof born white, then much later developed a coronet band of white hair :)

18. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I go away for 10 mins to have a shower, and NOW I only find out its a newborn......lol. *#)

In that case, all those pink bits will darken up :)

I will also agree that when born, chestnuts often seem to have all white hooves (white markings or not), and its not until later that the non-white-marking legs develop a dark hoof. Gosh, did that make sense? Haha

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  19. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Sorry :eek: and here was I thinking he was a freak :p