Chasing info on Western Saddles

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Kodas Karen, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

Hi all,

I am wanting to change from English to western and was wondering if anyone here could recommend some brands/saddles/things to look out for taking into consideration the saddle needs to fit the horse as well as me.

Thank you in advance!
    Karen.

2. Jordy D

Jordy D Active Member

Buy the best you can afford! And make sure you know what size you need in the tree as well as you can't change them. I have a full QH bar on my 15.2HH horse who I would consider wide but has a slight wither he is certainly not mutton withered. Circle Y's tend to be a little tight where the large concho screws in and fit narrower horses and are usually priced under $1500. I ride in a Dale Chavez saddle and love it can be pricey but depends on what you are wanting. My work one is a rough out with training D's no silver and was $1500 plus shipping. My show saddle is dark oil with carving plus all the fruit (silver horn, extended silver plate on cantle, silver around both skirts, silver diamonds in the corners, silver on the pommel and also under the pommel) I paid $5500 for that plus shipping. Both saddles were custom made for myself and my horse with standard length and drop on skirt, pre-turned fenders and a narrow twist in the tree for close contact and it is better for the shorter leg rider.

3. Kodas Karen

Kodas Karen New Member

Thank you for all your information, I appreciate it!

4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road Well-known Member

I don't ride western, but I have a few friends who ride different styles of western and they all have different saddles. So it also depends on what you want to do.

You can get barrel racing and roping saddles for your rodeo events, cutting saddles for cutting and then you can also get show type saddles for western pleasure, reining saddles for reining, the list goes on!

I would suggest that before you go out and spend thousands on a new saddle you need to ride in some and get a feeling for what you like. You also need to know what type of Western Riding you would like to do as well.