changing his feed for summer

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by wildsteel, Nov 19, 2007.

1. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

at the moment my boy is in a large paddock with lots of feed, which is dying quickly, and on one hard feed a day or clayton, chaff, gumnuts and bran. however i put a round bale of hay out there because the feed on the paddock is going so quick.

he hasnt had a problem with his wieght for almost 4 months now so im thinking of weaning out the claytons, and adding something new in.

the hay is for bulk feed becuase i no it is only 50% digestable so he wont get too much Energy out of that, so thats what the chaff is for, and the gumnuts add some protein etc but i want to add something to boost his protein more, i feel like he wont be getting enough nutrients....

any suggestions?

2. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Is he an old horsey??

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Why do you want to wean him off one product to try something else???

If he is doing OK on his current feeding, leave it as is. The hay will nicely replace the drying off pasture and the hay will have more goodness.

Use a quality mineral supp also like Equilibrium, Nutrequin, Equi-Min, Feramo-H, Kelato VIT Performance, Cell Vital etc.

4. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

claytons are to keep his weight on and he has been overweight for the past few months.

he went from 2 hard feeds per day with hay in a smaller paddock to a bigger paddock with one hard feed per day with regular riding and is just gaining weight clearly he doesnt need the claytons.

i just want to try a new supplement because the feed in his paddock wont b as good over summer

5. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Or his weight gain may be due to the Gumnuts, bran or paddock feed??? Just reduce his hardfeed and give hay. He doesnt need any extra goodies.

6. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

how about giving him some lucene chaff?? that has protein will still put on weight but not as much as claytons.

Use basics......thats how i feed anyways!!!

Dont have much only a handful or scoop depending on hwo big ur scoop is!!!

7. Lasix

Lasix New Member

How about soya meal?

I feed it to my gelding because it apparently provides a large proportion of the amino acids that they need. Soya meal has 44.5% protein (of which 28% is lysine).

You only feed 1 cup per day, so it doesn't contribute much to their energy intake (also great as one 30kg bag lasts forever!). I use the full fat version but you should use the standard form since it is higher in % protein and lower in energy.

Check out the table at the very bottom of this web page (a transcript of an article written by Dr John Khonke (horse vet) - where soya meal is described as "the best source of balanced protein and amino acids available for growing and performance horses"):

1999 World Trotting Conf Papers - John Kohnke

You may need to shop around as I have found that several stockfeeds don't sell soya meal.