Certificates available to same sex couples

Discussion in 'News Items' started by needanswers, Jan 27, 2012.

  1. needanswers

    needanswers Well-known Member

    Article can be found here.

    AUSTRALIANS who want to take part in a same-sex marriage overseas will soon be able to apply for a certificate of no impediment.
    Heterosexual couples already have the legal right to the certificate which confirms there is no legal impediment to a person taking part in a marriage ceremony.

    "This important change will allow same-sex couples to take part in overseas marriage ceremonies," Federal Attorney-General Nicola Roxon said in a statement today.

    They will considered married according to the laws of that country.

    In some countries, foreign nationals are required to produce a certificate of no impediment of marriage from the country in which they hold citizenship.

    Applications for the certificate can be made from February 1.

    Read more: Certificates available to same-sex couples | News.com.au

Share This Page