Celery Seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Faxie, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Anyone feed them? Can you feed as is, or do they need to be soaked (don't think so?). I have been recommend 1 tablespoon/day.

Anyone had much success with feeding them for arthritis or other joint problems..?

cheers **)

2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I feed them to my boy who gets swelling in his hind fetlocks when he is in work. When he is on celery seeds which can be fed dry and put straight into their feed he has no signs of puffiness at all. If I run out up go his fetlocks.

Amazing stuff, I was hesitant to use it as I'm not a herb girl but they really do work.

3. dun

dun Active Member

Agreed

I use a tablespoon a day on older QH's and woonderful stuff

4. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Yep. My border collie was X rayed and found her Crushiate (sp?) ligaments were close to snapping. Valdez suggested I put her on celery seed and limit her movement. She came good in abot 4 months which was fantastic because surgery was $3K and completely out of my budget! Thanks Valdez....Again!

I'm currently feeding ACV and Celery seed to my 16yo QH and i've seen an improvement in 3 weeks. I may even eat the stuff myself! A tablespoon per day works well.

5. Talullah

Talullah Well-known Member

I feed it to my boy as a preventative, which I know some people don't believe it can be. But I believe that it is working. My boy is 29 years old and has been fed celery seed for 10 years and is showing absolutely no signs of arthritis or stiffness in any way. I have also started feeding it to my friends 27 year old QH.

6. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

It's an anti-inflammatory, so no, it's not a preventative.
    But for a treatment, it seems to be effective and it's a lot cheaper than injections...
    If your horse is starting to show signs of arthritis, get him assessed by a vet. There's no reason why you can't feed the celery seeds in conjunction with injections/feed supplements etc.

7. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

I feed 20g a day made into a tea with a few other herbs. It is best soaked for a couple of hours prior, but i make mine up in the morning and it gets fed at night:)

Just edited to add that my horse is a 5yo, im feeding as a preventative :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  8. Talullah

I feed it as a preventative, and it seems to do the trick. He has had plenty of wear and tear on his joints being an ex pacer and eventer so if he was going to show signs he would have stated by now.

9. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Nope, not necessarily. Not every old horse, no matter how hard they worked when they were younger, will get arthritis.
    Just like people, it's very common for old people to have arthritis, but not everyone gets it, some 70 years olds still jog, swim, play sport etc with no problems.
    Management (exercise regime, weight etc), conformation and genetics can all determine if a horse ends up with joint degeneration or not.
    Celery seed is an anti-inflammatory, you can't prevent arthritis in people by giving them Nurofen and you can't prevent arthritis in horses by giving them celery seed.
    But, you can help make them more comfortable if they already have the disease.

10. Talullah

Working at different Veterinary hospitals we have recommended feeding it as a preventative. If your horse/animal isn't predisposed to arthritis, then fair enough, but if it is, this can help to slow down the onset of the disease or even stop the process altogether.

11. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Well if you have any proof of that, or any evidence at all apart from anecdotal/stories, then I'd love to see it.
    There's lots of evidence that various anti-inflammatories are a good treatment for arthritis, but none at all that they prevent it.
    Probably the best prevention for arthritis is not breeding horses with godawful conformation, but I digress....

12. Sweet Euphoria

I think its fair to say that most horses will have a degree of arthritis whether it is prominantly shown, or no signs at all. Celery seeds help to slow down the onset of arthritis, and assist to prevent the break down of the joints.

13. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

*headdesk*

14. Sweet Euphoria

Lovely way of expressing your feelings there....

thats your opinion tb4me, you are entitled to it, but i do not agree with you at all.

15. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

I'd say that much is obvious.
    What annoys me is that if this were a commercial drug, making unfounded and unproven claims like this - 'Celery seeds help to slow down the onset of arthritis, and assist to prevent the break down of the joints' would get you a fine worth thousands of dollars.
    You don't know that. Nobody knows that. Have you ever done any studies on it, or even seen any?
    Course not, you just feed it to your horse and then claim it works, and that anyone who points out that it's unproven clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

16. Sweet Euphoria

If you say so....

yet you dont have the studies to prove that it doesnt work.

17. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

OK then, so we should using anything as long as it hasn't been proven that it DOESN'T work??
    It's thought that arthritis mainly involves the degeneration of the cartilage between the joints, as the cells which produce the cartilage tend to die and become less viable as the joint ages. So, ideally an anti-arthritis drug would stop this from happening - less cell death = healthier cartilage = reduced arthritis.
    Cartrophen promotes the synthesis of compounds vital to cartilage health, thats why it's commonly used in arthritis prevention/treatment.
    Cytokines (proinflammatory and antiinflammatory) also affect cartilage cell metabolism, so it's possible that the inflammation process is involved before you get to the stage of chronic pain.
    BUT, no one knows if that's true, or when in the disease process this might happen.
    To claim that supplements like celery seeds are a preventative, with no proof (because there is none), as if it is a known fact, is misleading and wrong.
    That's my point.

18. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

Just Curious...

Being an anti-inflammatory, do the seeds themselves have anything in them that is swabbable? I should say, contain any naturally occuring substances that are deemed as performance enhancing? Or isn't enough known about them to know this?

19. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

Celery Seeds have some anti-inflammatory effects. They also have antiseptic, diuretic and carminative properties as well as contain flavonoids (antioxidants) and coumarins (thin the blood). Therefore they are very useful to feed in the cases of arthritis. As a preventative, although they may not prevent arthritis, they are most likely to still be helping the horse as they have so many other wonderful effects which help to move things around the body and increase the circulation, not to mention the fact that they also contain many vitamins and minerals. I highly recommend them and I take them myself and have noticed a difference!!

20. Nic

Nic New Member

I would be interested in feeding this to my 15yo eventer. Any suggestions where to purchase?