Cat pee on concrete HELP!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Sallighted, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

We are living in a shed and have been for the last 9 months. My indoor cat is really good she always goes in her litter tray however last week she peed on the floor near the toilet. Now I have cleaned it up but cant get the smell to go away as it is a wet area the concrete is semi-damp all the time (especially since it is winter) and I am assuming it is pourous so some of the urine would have soaked into the concrete that I cant remove#(

Anyone have any tips for me so my poor little shed doesn't stink';'

2. Cav

Cav Gold Member

OMG cat pee is so disgusting!! maybe vinegar might work???

3. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

Cav's right, vinegar will neutralise cat pee smell - I use it all the time to wipe around my cat's litter tray. Vinegar smell disappears quickly.

4. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

Get a special urine neutraliser its about the only thing that will probably work.

5. Sallighted

Okay guys, going to try the vinegar.... here we go (can't make it any worse can it:p) how long do you recon I should leave the vinegar on there????

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Vinegar.

lol 10 letters.

7. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Id soak it all up straight away and throw whatever you use to soak it up in the bin! Id let it dry and keep doing it until the smell goes. Apparently Apple Cidar Vingear is best for cat pee.';'

8. mineees

mineees Gold Member

vinegar with some salt in it.shake it up and spray it on the area. will smell like fish and chips for awhile but better than cat pee...:))

9. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Yuuuuuck lol!!!! yep vinegar. And chuck the cat out lol.

And get a chicken instead :p They don't pee at all hehehehe.

10. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I would sprinkle baking soda on the area, then spray or 'tinkle':D the vinegar onto the baking soda. It will fizz, then when it has stopped fizzing wipe up. It may make that spot of concrete really really clean...much cleaner than the rest of the bathroom though, so you might end up doing the whole bathroom to get it looking the same again.;)

Dont chuck the rags that you use in the inside bin, coz you will think you can still smell cat pee, but it might just be on the rags in the bin.';'

If you had painted or sealed the concrete in the bathroom before moving in, it would have stopped the pee soaking in....perhaps next time aye?

11. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Hey a bit off topic.....whats it like living in a shed? Been looking at the most beautiful property in Tassie with a home shed on it but just wondering what its like??

12. Sallighted

Thanks guys for the responses... I might try the baking soda with vinegar tomorrow if the straight vinegar hasn't worked. I have placed the scottowels in the fire so they aren't stinking out my bin :)

About the shed, we are living in it for about 18 months due to us subdividing a block then building after it is subdivided. The shed was already existing when we moved here although riddled with white ants, mice and all sorts of critters. We gutted the inside until we were just back to the concrete, tin walls/roof and the shower and toilet. It was originally used to live in during the early 90's but no-one had done any work to it since.

We had to move in quickly last september so it is basically hot in summer and cold in winter. We do have some creature comforts though, we put carpet in throughout using bound off cuts, my dishwasher was installed by my plumber brother in law:} and we now have walls around the 'bathroom'. We have no insulation so it got to 53 degrees inside in summer and it gets pretty cold in winter although we do have a slow combustion fire inside.

I don't mind it and would live in here pretty permenantly if I needed to, although I don't get hung up on material items too much. My other half though cant stand the bugs or the large fluctuations in temp. Its a good incentive for him though to build me my rammed earth house.... bring it on*#)

13. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I have been a shed dweller before, and I would do it again if need be, but with insulation and aircon.:D

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Kewl thanks for all that info sallighted and deb2....more food for thought. I just am in love with Tassie atm....the property is 11 acres with a stream that has platypus's and a shed home, totally green, awesome views and room for ponies!!! and 1 hour from city centre. for $160,000!!!!

im probably dreaming but hey no harm in looking!!! got to have dreams!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  15. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

the best stuff is Urine Off for cats and kittens. It breaks the urine down at an enzyme level so not only can you not smell it but neither can they and it rids of the stain too.

It also has a pheremone blocker added too. Really good stuff! Have used the dog and puppy one and worked better than vinegar, pet goe or industrial strength. Really lifted the stain and also stopped him from going back to the spot **)

16. multa

multa New Member

does your cat ever go to toilet to pee ?;) as you have said at the time of going toilet the cat pees. however you wanna get rid of it ,so you should take help from http://15homeremedies.com/1159/cat-spraying-no-more/ that will tell you how to avoid it and there are a lot of tips written so you can get rid of it easily .thanks and hope you never get the pee again