CAPEWEED arrgggg how is everyone managing or trying to manage it?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Ranga, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Ranga

Ranga New Member

I'm in North east Victoria which us currently being strangled by capeweed..
    If I mow it now I know it won't kill it but by doing so will it help any grass that's growing grow better as essentially not being suffocated by capeweed if its mown down a bit ?
    I think hope it will fall over and die off soon but that may leave big bare patches where the grass struggled to get light or live..given what's ahead no feed likely I think I want to give any grass growing the best chance I can now if I think my paddocks won't be dustbowls in two months..or bare lands anyhow no rain is not helping either.

To late to sow and or spray prob. ..hate capeweed.

That and
    high marshmallow actually all marshmellow..yet to find a constructive use for it too..

...seriously where did that forest of high mellow emerge from thats curently residing in one corner of my usually clear paddock. .it doesn't even cut with the whipper snip.. i'm going to have to chainsaw it at this stage..prob not but def need a metal blade to cut it down to size as its stalks are far from soft. .more like mini trees...its like a hedge of just emerged. And Thick one at that!
    Great place for snake to hide in too.. round up is very tempting..
    Help?????
    Advice?

2. PlumpRump

PlumpRump New Member

Oh man, I am in the same boat! Capeweed this year was worse than ever, not just at my place. I remember reading a while back that it'll pop up worse when the soil is lacking, but I wouldn't rely on my memory to give you advice on it. I just dumped out a bit of dolamite on the biggest patch, we'll see how that goes. I'll let ya know next year '-) Its not all over but has come up in one healthy patch. I wouldnt mind it to hold the soil over summer for me. Re-sow next year and see how it goes.

I had been pulling out the marshmallow when it was young, it has been pretty successful but a few have slipped through. The other feed is so high now too that I am not keen to be on my knees weeding at this time of year for the few little ones that popped up late. There is a small patch near the compost pile that has got to hip height. My plan is to smother it with a bit of carpet, rubber or shadecloth as it is going to be a snake haven regardless (right near the chicken coop as well!). Hopefully its dead body will hold and build up the soil some more - this place is a recovering dustbowl too so I will take all the help I can get to hold the dust down.

My mates down the road spray it with round up in the horse paddocks and theirs is worse than mine, and worse than last year. I once lived on a place where the owner ended up bringing a tractor in to mow it all down. It just came back again. The soil was dreadful there and gave all of the horses hoof issues, plus left a lot for them to trip over. Im glad I have my own place now and can manage it as I wish. I suspect the marshmallow has come up here as I did not sow enough of the good stuff and left room for it. Now that the other feed is established the young marshmallow struggles to take hold. It is starting to yellow and dry off in the sun, and once it is dead and dry it is easier to move, though not pretty and defo a good place for creepy crawlies.

The marshmallow (cheeseweed) is edible for us, but doesn't have much of a taste. I am looking for other uses too. Could you borrow a goat?

3. Ranga

Ranga New Member

Funny you say that I looked into the goat thing and apparently they' not quite as good as all make out. yes they do eat weeds however if theres grass they'll go that first.. I don't want anything bar my horses eating with little grass there is... so scrap the goat....GRR on capeweed suffocating the attempt at grass growing under it. I notice it's come back full tilt in areas that were already bare last yr ..soo must like crappy soil... and the high mellow...just freaks me out. Wasnt there at all last year but this year it would be a least hip height and and thick forest of it... thinking brush cutter with a blade and kamba .. tempting to douse fuel and light a match. Except it won't burn..to green.
    I too am not a lover of snakes and between the high thick mellow and also high thick capeweed..it's got me a bit jumpy walking in the paddock cos I have no hope of seeing what's on the ground with those two snake hiding weeds around.ewww I hate them ..
    bit naughty but I sometimes get one of the horses and make them walk with me..they can usually sense if there's one lurking .... Mr Snakey doesn't seem to keen on taking on horses either. Def like that

4. Ranga

Ranga New Member

Funny you say that I looked into the goat thing and apparently they' not quite as good as all make out. yes they do eat weeds however if theres grass they'll go that first.. I don't want anything bar my horses eating with little grass there is... so scrap the goat....GRR on capeweed suffocating the attempt at grass growing under it. I notice it's come back full tilt in areas that were already bare last yr ..soo must like crappy soil... and the high mellow...just freaks me out. Wasnt there at all last year but this year it would be a least hip height and and thick forest of it... thinking brush cutter with a blade and kamba .. tempting to douse fuel and light a match. Except it won't burn..to green.
    I too am not a lover of snakes and between the high thick mellow and also high thick capeweed..it's got me a bit jumpy walking in the paddock cos I have no hope of seeing what's on the ground with those two snake hiding weeds around.ewww I hate them ..
    bit naughty but I sometimes get one of the horses and make them walk with me..they can usually sense if there's one lurking .... Mr Snakey doesn't seem to keen on taking on horses either. Def like that

PlumpRump likes this.
  5. PlumpRump

PlumpRump New Member

Mine is a much smaller area, more manageable without drastic measures for sure. I dragged some old heavy shade cloth over the hip height marshmallow today and stuck a couple heavy pots on top. It'll take a while to flatten but thats my no spray attempt! I put a bit of carpet over the part I walk through to get to the chook pen, flat enough for nothing to hide under and gives me a clear view through.

The capeweed where I put the dolamite out looks less than healthy now :) but only time will tell if the soil has soaked it up and prevent it from re growing next year.

It'll probably be easier to destroy once it dies out a bit. I wonder if any feed would grow under its shade cover while it is still alive? Marshmallow seems to only have one large tap root and tends to grow in fertile soil. That would be purely experimental, I might try it one day. Goodluck :)

Ranga likes this.
  6. Ranga

Ranga New Member

7. Ranga

Ranga New Member

I'd love to be able to put a cover over mine..to much to thick and too high..the strange thing is I didn't have a mellow last yr not in that area and def not as high and thick like a mini forest...and it sort of just rapidly popped up... I think my only real option is chop then poison.. if there wasnt so much i'd hand pull but i'd be there to next year!
    The snake factor and it providing great coverage and shade for them scares the hell oUT of me...tempted to drive my ride on mini slasher thing right over the top of it however that wouldn't do the deck /cutting bits any good as its stalks are quite round and fat not the softest either. Be like driving through a small forest of saplings. ..cant see that ending well except I wouldnt be as scared that a snake might come out at me as to if I were on foot cutting.... I highly doubt there would be any standing still like your supposed too.... .I don't have the nerves for that more like throw the cutting implement and run like hell..i'm willing to see if I can outrun a snake over standing waiting to get bitten cos funnily enough I can move amazingly quickly when I'm scared..worry about that massive oncoming heart attack due to major unfitness later...
    Re feed growing under the capeweed .don't believe so.. i'm pretty sure capeweed actually suffocates any thing trying to grow under or around it. Would def block sun.. so not only does this lovely weed take up space then keels over and dies provided a big nothing in benefit to paddock or animal ..it then leaves a calling card of bare matches where it once stood proud and took everything elses life that was trying to grow. What a lovely thing to have in our paddocks.
    And I don't know that any animal eats it or what benefit it's existence provides. Just p*sses everyone off as far as I can see...
    Pity sheep don't like it, i'm going to be babysitting 2 juvenile bottle fed dauper sheep from next week so that should be interesting in terms of what they eat..my horses will prob get a fright seeing some miniatures cantering along the fenceline was cause for great fear..I don't think they knew what these little furry things coming toward them actually were...or that they were horses..little ones. ..cos there was a sudden hit of the skids, heads bolt up right, even snorting when they spotted the oncoming midgets .. there was no going over for a sniff either as we walked past..more like a giant shy to the other side of the road whilst still snorting and even a little prance. ..I was slightly embarrassed bout the huge over reaction all three of them when exhibiting...I must admit they did kinda looked like sheep but not... didn't help they were in with sheep all about the same height and all with thick winter coats ..def created confusion..hopefully they're ok with actual shepp..as long as there's no attempted treat stealing by the sheep they should be ok as they have them next door and all stand together at night like a little mixed up family . Bit cute. Don't think it's normal but my horses are not normal anyway. .prob too quiet as they're always thrown into things or places that horses don't usually go I figure they will go where I want them to . They have to fit it in with my life . Eg a head torch at night will guarantee you a hello cos they used to get fed late when I got home from work . Lights do not bother them . Nor do cars eother I nearly hit on once cos I thought he"d move and he didnT just stood there looking like I should move. Which I actually did do :/ fun fun keeps you occupied I guess