Canter Aids

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by JessiTrist, Jul 2, 2003.

1. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

hey guys, i know alot of people use different canter aids on different horses, if you were travelling clockwise (I think thats called the right rein??!?!) where do you place your legs, body weight etc...
    Also, how do you move from halt to canter, walk to canter and trot to canter, do you have different aids for each?

~To ride a horse is to borrow freedom...~

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

When I ask for a canter from the trot I look at the direction I want to go and just from that he feels what way, then I put my inside leg firmly behind the girl, sit and put my outside leg a lil further back to stop his backside swinging out with then he goes. From halt to canter and trot to canter, I ask just the same but I put the aids on and I hold them, it takes him one second to figure out that I'm not asking for a trot and he pops straight into the canter...

~§Arnie§~

3. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

The normal aids for the canter are slight flexion of the horse to the inside (so you can see it's eye/nostril,) look to where you want to ride and put the inside leg on the girth and the outside leg behind the girth and remember inside rein for flexion and direction and outside rein for speed control. Normally a horse has be quite well trained to do the halt to canter transistion or at least to be able to do it correctly and balanced. Most horses find it easier to strike off into a canter after being ridden out of a corner.

Ali

4. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

thats all correct but it does depend on the horse. Some well trained dressage horses will swing their butt to the inside if you slide your outside leg backwards and on these horses, the true indicator is the inside seatbone. An opening rein on young horses can also help a grea deal.

5. JessiTrist

sounds good, with tristan its just the inside leg on the girth and the outside leg about 2 inches back and a small squeeze, ive never tried from a walk to a canter or from a halt to a canter, but ive been reading about it...

Jessica *

6. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

The canter aids are the same from trot to canter as from walk to canter. However the walk should be collected and really quite energetic, and requires a lot of skill and ballance and lots and lots of practice to get a smooth transition..

If the hind end swings in when you move the outside leg back, the horse is trying to avoid putting weight onto his inside hind leg and there fore not travelling correctly, and will strugle when the canter work gets harder

-bec-

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

i used to do halt to canter tranisitons on rocket, he used to do them really well (got a bit cranky with it tho!!) i just stood him square and did like a half halt (even though we werent moving) then applied the canter aid and he did it...i think he may have known it already though because he didnt resist or anything! i started doing flying changes with him too which he didnt like very much he used to pigroot onto the other leg - atleast he did it!!! lol

the aid i used to ask for canter never changed though, i didnt ask for it differently i just made sure he was listening when i asked for it.

8. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

my mare can do the halt to canter transition really well, but with someone else on her. LOL. i am so - so at asking for it.
    i used to practice this with her on the lunge when she was younger.

9. JessiTrist

sounds good ogm, thanks everyone!

Jessica *