Cancerous & non-cancerous lumps

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Faxie, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

My 15yo bay Arab gelding recently had a cancerous lump cut off his chest. It looked sort of like a large wart, ie no hair on it, and oozed pus if squeezed hard enough. Vet didn't like the look of it, so it was removed, and it has all healed very nicely now with no signs of it returning thus far.

But on back his hind leg between the hock and dock he has another large lump about the size of a 20c piece. Vet says it is a fatty lipoma so just leave it be, but when the vet saw it, it was about the size of a 10cent piece. Lump feels hard and doesn't move under the skin. I do trust my vet's judgement but this is really starting to annoy me as it is getting larger and I think it should be cut out as it is unsightly. And it should be cut out sooner rather than later I guess. Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced lumps like these on their horses? And what did you do?

2. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

yep am thinking about getting a 2nd opinion too, thanks HT

3. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I'd get a second opinion but iv also always been told not to remove the cancer as it can come back more aggressive?

4. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Fatty lumps tends to be very soft, sqwishy and move under the skin. Get another opinion for your peace of mine.:)*

5. samm

samm Gold Member

Just for curiosity ,is he grey Faxie?
    Melanocytoma in horses is very different to people.They dont usually cause problems however if it is unsightly you can get them removed depending on the area they are in.If it's hard I'd be more inclined to think its one of these.

6. Janet

Janet Guest

My Grey mare developed a small pea size lump 18 months ago, it has not grown any larger, my vet advised against cutting it out as they tend to pop up again in another location. He told me that 80 to 90 % of greys will have this problem and to keep an eye on it. I took a photo with a scale beside it so I could plot any change...He checks it every 6 months when he comes to do her teeth.
    If in doubt check with another vet.
    :)

7. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Thank guys, no my horse is a bay, but thanks samm, i googled melanocytoma not a lot of info useful to me came up, thats a good idea Janet about the pic with a scale i will do the same. My vet wasn't concerned and i have actually had the same opinion from another vet as well who was present whilst that horses' teeth were being done (forgot to mention that earlier!) cheers :)

8. abararka

abararka Well-known Member

hi sweet,

the only way you'll know 100% if it is malignant or benign is if a small biopsy is taken. once you get the results back you can go from there maybe?

i would still get a second opinion aswell. i know we all put a lot of trust into our vets that they are giving us the best advice, but if you're not happy or you still have doubts (which i would feel too i think) then deffinately get a second opinion my sweet.

i hope it goes well :)

**) **) **)

9. 6665sam

6665sam New Member

Hi
    try doing a search on the net for sarcoids

10. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

My old boy had his third eyelid cut out in early Sept. We're pretty sure we got it all out and vet felt confident it was cancer.

You should always go with what your gut is telling you. You have female intuition for a reason.**)