Can you help?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by skiddlez, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raider

Raider Well-known Member

Maybe give him a call, alot of people dont really like texting, which might be why he hasnt gotten back to you. I dont think making one phone call if going to bug him to much.

Very good idea to take someone with you when you go to look at this horse.

I think it would be a good idea to take Merrylegs up on her offer, its takes alot to retrain a t/b esp to jump safely. It is alot different to retrain and t/b to a s/b.

2. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

Tristans horsey is sold now :( They are coming to pick him up on boxing day

3. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

Awwww, how much did he sell for? David is like... aww i want him, he is a pretty boy. LOL......

Raider: Yeah well i do want to call but im just you know abit worried... LOL its just me im not a phone calling person.... But i guess i can call him maybe... i dont know....

4. Ozzies_Girl

We got our full asking price, $3000 from the first person to come see him :)*

I'd give the guy a call if i were you.

5. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Good luck with the new horse :)*

I wish I could work out how to keep my horse really really cheaply.....at the moment I am getting by with free agistment and free rent LOL......*there are some REALLY great people in the world:) *

I hope it all works out for you:)*

6. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

WEll i called bruce but he wasnt answering so i left a essage for him to get back to me... well princeton, i get free board aka rent and food but sometimes i pitch in on things or pay my on dinner aka fast food. lol. But im pretty lucky on where im at the moment.. the agistment will be costing me 35 per week which is fairly good so....

7. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Thats good mate, Its nice when people help each other out. All the best**)

8. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Hopefully he will get back to you!! Maybe at night he is prob working the horses during the day..?

Seriously if you are able to have another horse maybe look at something other than a TB. My old agist for my TB was $45 per week and i would spend $40 per week easy on hard feed a week (plus a hay roll ) . But now i have a welshie OMG they run off the smell of an oily rag!!

Don't think i would go back to a TB (for feed bills lol)

9. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Naw come on Teddie, he's probably the most "good-doing" TB I've ever come across lol right now he only gets as much as a part welsh pony in NO work and he is a porker.

But yeah a straight off the track TB will need the extra feed if you want it straight in work especially as there's no grazing left anywhere. I mean just because you're not showing the horse doesn't mean that you can skimp on his feed. I earn $700 a week and am constantly forking out more and more money for my horse. You need a fitted saddle (unless you want to screw his back up young), rugs etc. Then there are his feet, worming, unexpected vet bills. Prepare yourself financially before you commit yourself. When I first finished school I was earning next to nothing so I just went without horses until I got a well paid job and a car. If i had the offer that Merrylegs isiving you I would've jumped at it and been happy with that.

Good luck, no-ones trying to talk you out of anything, they're just offering some useful advice that you need.

10. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

Very true heheheheheh

11. Ozzies_Girl

God i wish i could find a TB that was a good doer. My last boy had to be fed four times a day, even Jack who has been off the track for over 10 years is on three feeds a day.

12. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

ah but Ted was never a race horse. He just didn't have the fast speed and he doesn't have the fast metabolism. LOL

13. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

hehe that's true, and it's not like he excercises himself in the paddock either lol...

poor little fatty pumba :p

14. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

Well my TB would get one large reed a night which was a large alcoa bucket and thats about 10 litres i think..... maybe less not intirely sure but that kepted him going and he was the fittest looking horse on the agist.... and this was pretty much the same with byron so..... i dont know... but im copeing fine at the moment so

15. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Wow my TB's all get a large 20lt bucket of feed twice a day plus hay, mind you mine aren't fit looking LMAO!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  16. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

yeah well as i said im not intirely sure how much the bucket holds but yeah.. its large!

17. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Wow ... my tb's get through a bale of hay a day on a good day, plus two hard feeds a day!! My standy gets through half a bale a day and two hard feeds, biiiig ones, and he is only a gally!! I don't like them 'fit looking' though, I like them round :) but maybe that's just me.

18. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

hehe mine is round and he gets about 2 bikkies of hay a day, and one smaller white bucket of hard feed at night, I think they are 7 litres, I could be wrong. But his paddock still has pretty good grazing right now. He is currently in light work, but even in work 5 days a week he was still round. He is going on a diet soon though, just going to wait until the grass dies down abit and see how he goes. Oh and he gets no sweet treats only carrots and black sunnies for his coat. The pony he's in with gets the same and she's in no work and not tubby at all. I feel lucky :) My last TB was a shocker.

19. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

My horses get 'so called supplements' for a reason not because I compete. The need the minerals and vitamins for better health, and good health is what gives a horse a fantastic coat and an eagerness for work.

I have three TB's two of them get two feeds a day plus adlib hay and the other gets one feed a day plus adlib hay and that is because he is a good doer. I don't spend money on non essential items and it would easily cost me upwards of $100 per horse per week to feed them, to be more economic I buy the grains and mix up the feed myself. I have 8 horses so I try to keep costs down without cutting corners.

We are all just offering advice, Merrylegs offering a good opportunity, not jumping down your throat. Fact is it is expensive keeping a horse in good health and there are always hidden extras when it comes to horses - last year on one horse I spent $4000 on vet bills, and that is 10 times more than I paid for her.

Good luck:)

20. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Absolutely Deschuur - I use supplements too, consider them an absolute essential part of their diets :) vit and mins, electrolytes, joint helper, hoof pep ... I'm sure there are more lol!! :D

And yep fantastic healthy horses with great coats **) basic feed is very simple though, mostly roughage, and lots of it :) and absolutely the vet bills are the killer!! Not to mention the farrier, dentist, chiro, saddle fitter, tack, rugs, agistment ... shall I stop now? Lol. Reading that over made me feel a little ill lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.