Can you help?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by skiddlez, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just a thought...

Levi's an ex racer, I got him off the track.

He's cost me over $20,000 in three years. Which means he averages about $140 per week to keep and that DOESN'T include agistment.

As I said before, you're always welcome to come and play with my lot. I need a nice light lil rider with a good seat like yours!

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

I would not recommend that you acquire a horse when you are dependent upon Centrelink & some casual work.

You need to be independent financially, incase you become single and you have to be able to pay your own rent, bills, food, & other living costs.

A horse is an expensive luxury!!

3. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

My husband fully agrees with you Caroline LOL

Sorry slightly off the topic - but the cost of my yearling is a cause for many arguements in my house ( i always win though):D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  4. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

*rips hair out* I know all this already!! Ive hurd it over and OVER again...... i know what its like to have an ex racer.... my first horse was an ex racer and he was fine.... cheaper then byron.....

I can still help you out jess when ever i have a day off just getting up there is slightly a wee more difficult..

Look it just seems to me that all you people think that i really cant afford a horse and take care of it just because the so called MONEY is too low.... im just getting really botherd about you saying stuff when you really dont know my life and how it works

Just give me space.... its not that bloomin hard to own a horse and keep it in good condition..... its not like im doing showing quiet yet and need all these so called supplements for showing..... look justgive me space please and ill prove to you that i will do good.

5. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

sarah - no offence but people here are offering genuine advice which is reality and you are jumping down their throats #( #(

bottom line is ANY horse is NOT cheap - one small problem with them can turn into a HUGE expense - just take that all into consideration mate

but it is your decision at the end of the day

6. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

i know people are trying to help but i know all of what can happen to a horse...... ive been down this road many times...... and i really beleive ill be fine... i can still get a new job.... in the future so its not like im jobless and struggling

7. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

Have you heard anymore about the horse you might be getting? Maybe you could go and do some free work for this 'Bruce' guy and get to know the horse a bit before deciding to take him on? You don't want to take on a horse with a zillion problems when your on a budget
    (I'm assuming this Bruce person is a racehorse trainer/breeder?)

Col:}

8. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

yes he owns about 30 or so horses i think he said..... yeah well i havnt hurd anything from him back yet, dont want to hassel him... But all in due time...

9. I know you're frustrated mate, we're just trying to save you the heartache of having to sell your horse later on down the track because something has gone wrong somehow just like you had to sell Byron.

Please don't get totally peeved as everyone posting has good intentions and aren't purposely trying to annoy or upset you.

I've always gone by the philosiphy (sp?) of "If you can afford TWO horses, get one."

And always have a spare $2000 in the bank in case of emergency vet bills ;)

10. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

$2000 LOL i wish my vet bills came in at about $8000 this year not helped by one small child (not small anymore) who cost me $5000 in one week.

11. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

yeah well i cant just give life of horses up... i just cant... i know people are trying to help but its just getting me grumpy. And i do not like being grumpy when it has something to do with horses. Well i dont want to really talk about this no more due to the fact of so many people puting there jargin in that is making everything sound like "no you cant afford a horse"..

If you guys keep cool it down and just support me on my decisions that would be good and not as much peer pressure on me

12. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Perhaps instead of getting grumpy you could prove them all wrong.

I know this is personal but do you have to pay for food, rent, power, phone ect... The less you pay for this the more you hve to sped on horses. Are you planning on agisting paddock/stable or own property as this will greatly impact on the cost of keeping a horse. My paddocked horses only cost me about $90 a week which is alot cheaper than the ones i have at home in work.

Have you checked with the owner to what the horses feet are like a horse not needing shoes costs alot less.

And perhaps looking around for a partime instead of casual job that way you have a secure incme and can budget more readily.

Just some ideas

13. Webby

Webby Well-known Member

Oh another thought which i tell anyone looking for a horse especially parents
    is:

For everyweek you look for horse put aside atleast $150 this is what it would cost you to keep the horse. If you spend 10weeks like this you will have $1500 and could add that onto any purchase price and buy a more educated mount.

So instead of saying i have a max of $2000 it bringis it to $3500 which can buy you a safe horse with a decent education if you look carefully enough.

THe cheapest part of owning a horse is buying it!

14. Here's an idea, seeing as you're getting your license - why not put in for one of the SC apprenticeships? That way you're guarenteed horsing 3 times a week and you can do clinics and workshops and come on rescues and things.

15. sil

sil Gold Member

If you're going to go ahead with let, let me offer the following things to look at to help minimise any risk to yourself:

a) Many TBs are unsound though they may not display lameness. Thoroughly check the horse out, lunge it on a small circle on hard ground at all paces to see if anything looks bunky. Get a vet check to test for soundness and a blood test - no matter how nice the guy is fact is there are people out there who will drug their horses or ramp them up on bute to hide problems.

b) Make sure you see the horse ridden by someone there at walk trot and canter and on circles BOTH ways. See it ridden on a contact and on a loose rein. View it being ridden on the road/tracks.

c) Ride the horse yourself if happy with that and see if he is manageable to you.

d) See the horse being tied up, hosed, put on a float. Lots of TBs have never been on a float, trust me this is a pain in the ass!

If all is well then consider if you like him and go from there. There are thousands of TBs you can spent time, love and money on, best to do it with one that is sound, of good temperament and rideable from the start.

Ask questions:

Has the horse ever kicked, pulled back, bolted, bucked, struck out, napped or reared?
    Has the horse had any injuries or illnesses in the past?
    Does the horse come with his passport? Has he raced? When?
    Why is the horse no longer suitable for racing?
    How old is he? When was he broken in? Who broke him in?
    Has the horse been ridden out on trails and/or the road?
    What is the horse's trimming/shoeing/teeth/worming/vaccination history?

Inspect the horse's teeth, his papers, his brands to confirm the age. Make sure the markings match. Check him all over for splints, capped hocks, uneven hips, uneven neck thickness (viewed from above), odd lumps and bumps. Make sure he picks his feet up readily, and that his feet are matched pairs. His eyes should be bright and clear. He should be interested in you and lead nicely and willingly trot next to you. Legs should be straight and nicely put on.

Request a trial, if possible on your own property. Put the horse to the test, check him out thoroughly. Ride him in the arena, out on the trail, walk, trot, canter, try a jump pole. Walk him around unfamiliar environs. Tie him up. Lunge him. After 2 weeks if all is well buy him, otherwise don't bother wasting your time.. a good horse will do all the above comfortably.

Good luck :)

16. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

I understood the question! lol. No it's not Bruce Watkins, he's down in capel. If you could anything off him you know you could trust it, my O/H used to do breaking and track work for him and constantly raves about how good he is, and as a rule, Tristan hates everyone! :p

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  17. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

So why did you sell Byron?? (i'm not starting anything, but simply can't remember - and i am really good at hijacking post lol)

And maybe you could buy him back??

18. SpArTiAn

SpArTiAn Well-known Member

Not being snappy ... But some TB's usually cost alot more to feed than STB's, even when they are not being worked they need to be fed at a minimum 2 times a day unless its a really good doer.

Maybe you could try saving a bit up "just in case" ??? Horses are unpredictable and if the horse hurt itself who would pay for a large vet bill?

19. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

Ok the reson why i sold byron was due to the fact i wanted to compete in jumping and also i didnt have a job. Byron didnt have the conformation for jumping and also he wasnt a horse that had the heart for it (you dont want to force a horse). Well i dont think i could buy him back as i dont know there number no more and all i know is that they are in busselton.

And Sil, when the guy rings me up i would love someone to come with me to make sure the horse is sound because im not the best in reconizing the little things that may become huge problems. If anyone is willing to come with me when and if i get this horse it would be great to get someone elses opinion and stuff.

Well i havnt hurd anything yet..... i wont bug cause that may cause him to think that i might be too keen... or what do you think.... i asked him about this horse like racing name and stuff but he never get back to me.... unless someone wants to find out for me... LOL

20. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

oh and Ozzies_Girl my boyfriend really loves tristan's horse... its funny cause he calls pinto's, cow horses... HEHE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.