Can all horses do liberty?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by theherd22, May 2, 2013.

1. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

Ok this may seem a bit daft but I am wondering if there is a type (temperament wise) of horse that is just not suited to liberty training.

See here's the story... I used to do lots of 'natural' stuff with my young horse as he responded really well however I have never really tried with my older well educated horse. Now I have been having some confidence issues so thought I would give it a try but have only been having relative success because quite frankly he is too lazy. His view seems to be " pshhht your not scary and why should I have to run around while you get to stand in the middle" and before you say 'you need to get his full attention' believe me I have it he is just a very self possessed horse and we usually have a relationship where he takes on something of a role of baby sitter of me- if he could be rolling his eyes he would and he is certainly giving off the air of "alright if it means that much to you but I'm not trotting" . He is not fighting, rebelling or doing anything untoward he is simply not doing anything. (Think about that face ponies who are in charge of small children always seem to have)

2. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

All horses age and breed can do liberty but some just respond to cues with more enthusiasm than others (have more life in their feet). I've seen everything from Clydesdale down doing liberty. But whatever the breed or age it's great for building connection. Just ensure all your ground work on the lead is solid. There's no better way of finding the weak spots than doing it at liberty.

3. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

4. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

I do liberty- my horse is a natural at it.

But he's not done liberty (well has but more of play thing but not cued) his a 14yo Anglo Arab. Two friends I agist with also do it, one with a 2 yo clyde cross welsh and another with a warmblood.

As said, ground work on lead must be SOLID! And there might be things your missing as some stuff I didn't need to do with tom, that might needed have happened with the warm blood. He had different issues to work though, so did the clyde.

They are all different and come with different things to be worked through, and some of those things take longer than other things.

Having lessons with someone who knows liberty training and natural horsemanship is so valuable, and has taught me so much.

Where are you located?

5. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

It does help to have a trainer as with every discipline. However it is less about horses being more or less suited to it and more to do with sensitivity. I do it with a TB who is super sensitive so picks things up very quickly. My other horse was very much like the one you describe and my guess is he would have been quite different to work with and I would have had to be more forceful. It is just a matter of finding what works with each individual

6. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

Cool thanks guys. We are still on the lead rope and not very far along so I will definitely look into a trainer/ instructor. Does anyone have any recommendations. The other horses I have worked with in the past have been quite sensitive (generally) and it has been quite a learning curve working with a steady sort of horse

7. RVP Horses

Where are you located . No point recommending someone in Geraldton if you live in Albany:lol:

8. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

Oh yeah sorry mandurah/ pinjarra but I can travel for the right person

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

All horses are natural at doing liberty work. The problem is MOST humans aint natural to it! :D

Self education to understand horse language and how they think is a huge asset. :))

10. RVP Horses

Do you have a round yard where you are and a smallish paddock or arena? It's easier if the trainer comes to you then they can show you the best way to connect with your horse with the facilities you have. No point going to a trainer that has a small yard then going home and trying to practice in a large paddock.

11. cupcake

We are having a clinic at the end of this month in Baldivis with Lou from Holy Torledo Horsemanship. Its going to be a great day. Lou trained with pat parelli, double dan boys and many other talented horseman/women and now trains and teachers herself. What I personally like about lou- she has many tools in her belt- and can quickly adapt to what the horse is throwing at you- as what might work with one horse, might not with another.

Its fully booked but there is fence sitting avalible- your welcome to PM me if you would like to come and watch and pick up some pointers. We will have a demo (my horse being one of the demo horses) showing different stages of liberty and what techniques we use.

You might pick a few things up that might be what your missing to get that "moment" where it all comes together?

kylie.

12. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Make sure you haven't 'dulled' him off with it. Like the others said have him going well on the lead first. Make sure you use really soft cues to get a good response. He sounds over handled to me and maybe you have made it 'boring' now. Sometimes throwing them out for a few months sparks them up again. I use Liberty as a treat. Something special we do maybe once every so often. I find the Arabs love the liberty and will tolerate it more and stay sparky because they are naturally exhibitionists and have a low threshold for fight/flight where as my quarter horse 'dulls' off really quickly.

I would leave him alone for a bit, give him a break and then bring him back in and have some lessons. Liberty is great fun but can take a lot of energy from a horse. When they play naturally with each other in the paddock some horses will play for hours...my arabs are a bit like that and then other times it will be a minute or two of play and then they wander off again.

13. cupcake

Thought I'd add...... And the human!

Great exercise haha

14. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

But if this fat butt can do it, so can you lol... My pony waits for me sometimes... swear rolls his eyes at his slow round human lol

Pep liberty 13 July - YouTube

15. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

that is freaking awesome TePaiOra :)

16. Horseagilitywa

LOL good for my fat backside...

His biggest problem is pulling flags out of the holders lol

here is my friend with her clydie x draught...
    Coby Liberty July 13 OLHA - YouTube

17. Horseagilitywa

18. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

WOW TePaiOra ... Just wow:)*

19. Horseagilitywa

If my fat backside can do it anyone can :)

20. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

ok that amazed me, I went to the SEC many, many years ago and they had "liberty" display. Now all that seemed to be was people letting there horse loose, having it charge around some, then catching it. Has it progressed from that or is it two different things?
    Please don't take offense if there still is the "charge around some" type comps , just asking.