Calmers....good as gold?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Beauvelour, Sep 2, 2008.

1. smash

smash Well-known Member

*passing beau a BIG GOLD STAR*
    so no more need to go looking at calming crap LOL
    what a smart little cookie you are beau
    look within before you go off looking for bandaides

cheers

2. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

I'm a trainer and we dnt train our horses to run flat out. Everday we work on muscles and toplines and getting them fit. Just the same as eventers and endurance horses. It's in there blood to be hot. I think you should giv them some calmers if you want it makes the environment more relaxing for the horse and rider and shows the horse that it's not a raceday and it's not that exciting to be at a show. I dnt think good as gold works kirsty me and bianca have used them and it didn't work really. Good luck. Oh and i had an ex race horse that has done b grade jumping and 5 years of shows and outings and she's still is hot.

3. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

awww shucks i feel like i have *seen the light* or just started to listen to my horse LOL....Me thinks i need to thinks like smash more often!!!:)) *#)

Hey fluffy.....some trainers dont care.....and do just that but there are some like yourself that actually care!!!!:)*

4. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Hey Fluffy, is that you Teagan??? Remember the NIR machine??:D

5. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

hey ya i thought it was you haha..........What NIR machine (Fluffy hides)

6. Caroline

Hi mate! Sick of barley yet?? lol.......:)*

Great to have you on Stockies! A small world it is hey!:D :))

7. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

#( hell yeah you want a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! half our team has left and dafwa wont put anyone eles on because there losing some contracts apparently..........but at least i have an endless supply of barley for the horses hahaha:))

8. mels

mels New Member

Hey Beau,

Your Harry is fine, stop stressing woman! hes had minimal outings & you can't expect instant miracles. He'll improve with education & experience. Your starting with a good brain & attitude.

Are you taking him to our show on the 20th?

Might catchya there

Luv Mel & Shishka

9. Caroline

Hey Teagan, when are you back up in Northam again??**)

Wud be great to catch up and you can meet our lovely horses!!:D :))

10. Fluffy

Fluffy New Member

Hey ya girl. I'm not sure when I'm back in Northam really busy here in esperance with work(Boss away in america and I'm in charge) Betty had her foal as you can see (Fluffy points to pic on left) and i also have 2 horses in work and my old hack which i take team penning(Fluffy laughs at hacky girls spending all there time puffing up there geges when i rough it).:D :p

11. BadWolf

BadWolf Active Member

my horse can be a bit 'hot' at times
    so i have limited his lucerine
    put him on 'pegasus coolmax'
    and added 'B-Quiet'
    to help cool him down
    hes now on 1/2 a scoop of B-Quiet
    but a few days before a show ill increase it back to 1 scoop a day
    just to help settle him down :)*

12. Caroline

Has this horse actually had a 6 month spell in a paddock with a herd to help him deal with all of his mental issues, and just be a horse and have a holiday??:confused: :confused:

Do not expect much from a TB that has been off the track for only 7 months. Come on! His race programming will affect him for life!!

Do heaps of groundwork and get a good instructor that is used to OTTBs. Give him a holiday first.:D :))

13. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Man i wish i never posted this.

I am going to answer your questions but i dont have to!!!! Yes he has had a spell and yes we have an instructor and yes we do LOTS of ground work - before each ride and sometimes just ground work and no riding!!! And to proove it, it took the trainers 4 HOURS to get him on the float and now BEACAUSE of the groundwork he pretty much self loads all the time!!!!

If i didnt bring him back into work i wouldnt have been able to help him with his other issues so YOU might see it as a bad thing I see it as a good thing because my horse didnt have to be put down because of seedy toe!!! Thankyou for your help but we have sorted the problem and i dont think i will ever post another question

14. lhuband

lhuband Guest

My TB mare is hot and nervous out!
    After lots of persistance and taking her feed back to basics with chaff and equilibrium salt galic and oil and lots of hay.

When going out i give a few drops on the toungue of Rescue remedy i like it and it seems to work well...
    I believe the best thing to do is keep floating somewhere new and lunging or riding or just getting out and about it seems to be the best thing for my mare she is going fab now with the occasional spat whe at comps but nothing compared to when i first got her!

Good luck!

15. LyndaA

LyndaA New Member

I have used a couple of these products and I found Good as Gold one of the easier to use as the other one was a paste and so many hours before food and competing etc. Good as Gold worked well for my horse, a tad too well as by the end of the day she hardly moved!

16. It is important to recognise the source of any problem your horse may have. Beauvelour, while you thought it was feed at first it is great that you worked out the bad manners were comming from foot soreness.

It is up to owners to become educated enough to recognise the source of problems (and it is often the owners) instead of going for quick popular fixes. Well done Beauvelour for looking and thinking outside the box and finding your soloution.

17. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Don't stress Beauvelour, my horse isn't even an OTTB and she gets hot and horrible sometimes too. :(
    In the long term education will be the key but I do feed the B vitamins to try and take the edge off.
    I know others who feed B Quiet or Good-as-Gold or B1 Equilibrium or just about anything with Triptiphan (sp?) in it.)
    Hell, I even fed potassium bromide for a while there
    Wether they work or wether it's mind over matter for the rider/handler ...who knows.
    I try to keep the protein levels down and the work/education levels up.
    Try things out. Give each one a fair trial period and see what works for your boy.