Calmers....good as gold?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Beauvelour, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Hi everyone.....just enquiring....not starting an argument..... Any way, my TB is only off the track since feb this year. Although 90% of the time he is pretty quiet, and at his first show he was UNBELIEVABLE quiet. The 2nd show he was a bit of a nutter and rearing etc, he came down in the end and worked well. I was thinking of giving giving him some claming stuff before our next show (if we ever make it). Just for him to have a good experience (and me not to have a heart attack)

I think he may have been a little over fed last time too (oops:eek: ) So when i went to the stockfeeders this morning the guy said that "everyone" is using this good as gold? I have heard people using Rescue remedy. (i will be taking a bit of this lol) so i just was wondering what are peoples experiences with calmers.....

2. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

I've used Good as Gold, it may be just me but it does not work, my horse can manage to ignore it totally!
    It could work for some though? Buy the single sachet maybe and have a go!

3. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I never found it to work

4. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

I have used it and it definitely worked for me:) You can also try one of the calmer pastes:)

Sometimes calmers are great to take the edge off of what could be a stressful environment like a first outing.

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

rescue remedy is entirely different to a calmers like Good as Gold, B-Calm, Tranquil paste etc. it's a vibrational essence that treats anxiety & nerves so only a few drops are necessary. it also comes in lozenges or mouth sprays. drinking half a bottle of it defeats the purpose of it as well... it's better to have a few drops every 10mins or so 30mins before your event (someone correct me?). essences come from plants/flowers/elements etc that have different known properties. it's not a majick cure-all. Rescue (and other essences) also have an alcohol base so some ppl think the 'calming' effect (on ppl) is linked to the high alcohol content, lol. I use rescue for myself and my pony to take the edge off when we go out, or do other stressful things like float practice or whatever. some ppl say it may just be a placebo... but idk, it works for me. but then, i believe in that stuff. some don't.

calming supplements however, are VERY different to rescue remedy. they usually contain a mix or blend of: chamomile, tryptophan... chamomile is a natural calmer - test it on urself with a cuppa chamomile tea~! and tryptophan is a naturally occurring amino acidy thing (not too sure on the details) and it appears in a LOT of foods naturally. tryptophan is usually the active ingrediant in a LOT of calming pastes. it is not swabbable - that i know of.

be wary of calming pastes or feeds that have Valerian in them as that is swabbable. plus, valerian was recommended to me as the last possible resort in terms of calmers - often horses can feel so 'cloudy' and drugged that they can panic and their behaviour is worse.

i agree with deschuur in that you want to make the experience as peaceful & pleasant as possible. going out A LOT also helps in this area, to help desensitise the horse. and a few drops of RR to you may also help you chill out a bit & not transfer your nerves to your pony.

i see no harm at all in trying Good as Gold. My feed guy has also recommended it & says it is VERY popular. seems to be moreso than the more traditional calming pastes.

6. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

Good as gold didn't work for me.
    I would reccomend Beta calm
    and unfortunately it's swabbable.
    because tryptophan is its active ingredient.

7. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Beau, the best calmative for OTTBs is further training and education!!#( :mad:

They have only been taught to run flat out with a jockey hanging off their mouth!*#)

Dont resort to band aids. And cut out the grain. Feed lots of hay and non grain based feeds only.:D :))

8. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

Best solution in terms of calming seems to be lots of groundwork and also boredom.
    By which I mean, if something makes him tense and uptight (eg going to shows), take him to lots of low key places (doesn't have to be a show, just load up and take him to another property/grounds if you can) all the time. Make it uneventful, make it boring.
    Think about it, he's used to being taken to the track, where he has to zoom around with other horses flat out. He thinks that's his job.
    By exposing him to lots of different settings in a low key way, you'll teach him that his new job is to relax and nod off when he's taken somewhere until he's actually asked to do something. He can't possibly know this unless you teach him.
    TBs are HARD in this respect (believe me I know) but keep persisting. Calming supplements don't really work unless the horse is deficient in some way, if he's fine at home and in the paddock, then training is the key.
    Have seen many horses that are chilled and relaxed to handle and in the paddock, but would tense up and go badly when ridden/at shows because they'd never been taught not to. And they were on calming supplements, when 90% of the time they were perfectly calm.
    Like standing still, tieing up etc horses aren't born knowing when to relax and when to fire up - you have to teach him.

9. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

For the record Rescue Remedy is different.....it is absolutely religious. The new age crowd have conveniently changed the story and Dr Edward Bach would be horrified.

Buccal alcohol absorption is also not to be discredited!

In saying that I have absolutely no problem people using it and if it is placebo it doesnt really matter as their is nothing more powerful than mind over matter!

10. Beauvelour

OK i have some explaining to do. Yes i just want to take the edge off. My boy does go out ALOT (before his foot probs anyway) for a while there he was going out everyweekend, indoor arena, friends place, show, pc grounds for training day.

I have revised his feed thanks to Smash! We do lots and lots of groundwork....before every ride and whenever we go somewhere new. The day he went spaco at the show, he eventually came good - working well standing on a loose rein etc etc, what you have to understand my last horse reared up and went over backwards.... so when he rears i make it worse hence the RR for ME. (but i have heard people use it on there ponies too)

I understand he just needs time and education, thats why i just want a little something to take the edge off - not to drug him completly. I am going to take him off his barley a few days before though he isnt on much anymore because he hasnt been worked. One of the main things im aware of is too much feed not enough work.... Thanks for your help, just a bit more info from my side.

11. madcow

madcow Guest

Beauvelour I completely understand where you are coming from as have had many OTTB's (I've vowed never to get anther one!ROFLMO) I've also had HEAPS of foot problems LOL

Sounds like you are doing all the right things as well. I took my 14yr old TB geld out EVERY weekend for 2 years solid plus lessons and normal shows over the years etc and it made no difference. OK he initally came down from the first few shows after coming OTT after about 6 months but past that he's still a nutter LOL

And as you've also done I cut his feed right back before a show. The week before a show he lives off chaff, bran and hay (I won't even give him carrots as there's a small amount of sugar in them LOL). Sometimes working them at home before you leave can help. I also make sure I work him hard everyday in the week leading up to a show.

Personally I havn't found that Good as Gold does anything along with the other products like it. I have taken Rescue Remmedy myself and found it did nothing as well. Blitzen my Aunty is a Naturopath (sp) and recommends using it as you described for best results.

Caroline- there's no need for the thumbs down and angry faces when someone is asking a simple question.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2008
  12. Stormy

Stormy Well-known Member

i tried good as gold on two horses, one was to try and keep him calm as he gets a bit worked up at times and the other was first event back on the horse since breaking a collar bone. the horse that it was my first event back on had him falling to sleep in the yard etc, didn't do much for his dressage test as he decided to keep becoming disunited. the other horse it sent him of his rocker - he was trying to buck me of in the warm up and what usually helped calm him down was not working. but different things work on different horses

13. amandasmith

amandasmith Well-known Member

As far as I was aware Tryptophan is NOT swabbable - can someone clarify??? If it was then Good as Gold would be swabbable also???

I will admit I have tried Good as Gold and didn't find it really made any difference.

14. madcow

madcow Guest

Trypophane naturally occurs in the horses body. There is an alert dose as far as swabbing is concerned...thus they will pick up high levels as sus LOL

I'm pretty sure Good as Gold contains tryptophane and B1 as most of them do.

15. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

i totally agree with that! :)* my horse isn't OTTB anymore....like 10 years ago maybe, i went to busso ode and it was the first time i was coming up to an event terrified with a reason, my horse was going spakko at home during the week and the ode on the weekend, i had him on liberty and he's neva had a prob b4 and the spring grass hyped him up, so i took him off most his pellets, all his minerals coz they already make him feel good, and worked him for an hour and a half in sand and jumping drums to wear him out and gave him the day off b4 the show, i gave him good as gold that night and he was perfect for dressage, unlike me who forgot the test, and he was totally relaxed, then i thought, nah he won't need it for xc (i bought 2 packets) and he went skitzo!!!! i could bearly get him near the start box and then we got eliminated coz he didn't wanna jump the 4th jump coz he was evaiding from the start!!!

anyways, it works on some horses and sometimes it's needed, that was the first time i eva used anything on any of my horses! coz he's only young and needs more experience, def cut out high grain feed and take him there on low energy levels, he'll figure out that it's not too special and he'll calm down in his own time and that'll be a big plus later on in his life coz he'll know how to calm himself down. i know u want a good ride but sometimes u need to use these experiences as a training opportunity. but if u decide to use something, first cut out his high grain or that might ovaride the calmer, i used good as gold once and as far as i could tell it worked for me:)*

good luck...sorry it long winded

16. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

Has he only had the one outing where he has had a nutter moment?

If this is the case then I would suggest not trying any calmer type product, and take him out more, they all have bad days! It could have just been an accumulation of a number of things that caused him to have an off day.

If it is happening more frequently, then before you start on the calmers, look at if there is any common denominators when he has his spaks, eg are you overly tense, is everything fitting correctly, feed to work ratio etc.

My TB is off the track as well, and the best thing I have found for him is to find a quiet corner and walk circles, or to lunge him until he settles.

17. Beauvelour

His tack fit. On other days he has been out he has had "moments"

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

beauvelour
    where is my gold star for not sying a thing ????
    look how good i have been
    he he he

19. Satorii Lodge

Satorii Lodge Well-known Member

tryptophan is swabable ...we use behave which seems to work on the boys but did nothing for my mare ...have u tried lunging at the show before u get on ...and i mean properly not just hooning in a circle

20. Beauvelour

I have been waiting for your reply Smash!!!! Let me guess if you havent said anything yet....your going to tell me off?*#)

Ihavent lunged him because that could dangerous!!!! lots and LOTS of groundwork tho.

OMG I JUST WORKED IT OUT.....HE WAS SORE!!! This was his last outing before the foot thing and about a week after this show i got him looked at and he had a sore sholdour, sore back etc etc..... Thanks smash.... i thought "now what would smash say???"