C25K Running Programme

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by myyky, Sep 7, 2011.

1. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

For those who don't know, or don't remember, there was a thread about six months ago about exersise, and a programme called Couch To 5K. Basically it is a programme which gets couch potatoes able to jog/run 5km straight in 8 weeks.

I'm starting this again. I'm not even fit enough for the first week though! So I'm adding my own first week to it. :)* Finding the weather perfect for jogging, and it's great for getting away from dad and clearing my head/venting.

Does anyone want to join me in spirit? :) I don't think I'll keep it up much past the 4 week mark if I don't have anyone pushing me on. Not exactly the most motivated of people..

Have a read anyway :) There's a link which has the programme converted to Aussie km rather than miles just down the page a little.
    www.c25k.com

2. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Good luck Myyky :)

I'll be egging you on (in spirit :p ) I wish I had the motivation to even start!!

You'll be running marathons in no time! ;)

3. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

C'mon Fez! I won't everrrrrr talk to you again :p

Maybe you should do a.. 'ride Fezzie to 5k'? :p Up your riding time and get you both fit!

4. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I'm in :)

I've just started jogging and so far I think I can do about 500m without walking lol. Pretty pathetic, but I'm fat so I'll take what I can get!

Don't add your own week - you're young so you can definitely jog for 60 seconds :p
    When do you want to start? Monday? I go walking/jogging on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays so there's my 3 sessions per week. I will need someone to keep me motivated though lol :eek:

5. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Awesome Cadabby! I am young.. But I'm asthmatic and REALLY unfit, so gonna take the first week slow haha. I've pretty much done my first week already though, so I can start with you.

I do Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And often a quick brisk walk in between that, I like getting out of the house :p

I'm having trouble figuring out how long 100m is though. What is the distance between power poles, do you know? Or does it change depending on zoning and such?

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I love my C25K on my iphone :). It also uses GPS to map how far your going.

I also downloaded an app that clocks how far and fast I go when I'm not doing C25K :).

I'm in! I started it but stopped. I'm up for trying it again! :D

7. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I think I'm going to download the C25K app on my iPod and see if it will work on that, since I don't have an iPhone.

If you don't know the distances, maybe just use the times they give you? - e.g. 200m = 90 seconds.
    I'm terrible with estimating distances lol :eek:
    I go walking with another teacher from school so I might see if she wants to do it too.

8. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Awesome Arnie, join the gang! :)

90 seconds seems like a really looooong time to do 200m though? Maybe I'm jogging too fast. Maybe that's why I get tired so quickly, I'm jogging too quickly.

I don't have an iAnything, so gotta judge it by eye. I think dad does have a stopwatch though.. My ancient phone might have one too. :)

9. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Good program- I started it a little while ago and it got me going and then I kinda took over on my own accord and am running 5-7km most days now :)

10. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Awesome Izzy! That's what I hope to be able to do by the end of the year. I'm finding I'm enjoying excersise a lot more than I was last time I started C25K. I think I have a bittt more motivation now.

11. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

You may just be the motivator I've been looking for Mykky. ;)
    I'm in :)

& of course Fezzie will do it too - she's just to shy to say so :D

12. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

a colleague of my partner's just went from couch to MARATHON and completed the city to surf in like 4 something hours.

now he's conquered that, he's back to couch.

it can be done!

13. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Fezzie better! Otherwise I'll never talk to her again :p
    Awesome Flogga :D Join the crew!

You in Blitzen?

My dog is going to love me :) She's been for a walk every day for the last 4 days, now anytime I look at her and say any short word she bolts to the gate. Gotta love kelpie x's as walking partners :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  14. Fezzie

Fezzie Guest

Lol! I sense a conspiracy afoot! :p

Ok, I'll give it a crack **)

But someone will have to explain to me what I'm supposed to be doing and if I drop dead of a heart attack you better come to my funeral! (AND bring flowers - not cheap ones either - lol! :D )

15. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-known Member

I've kind started my own version.....but maybe I should try this again, I started before but after day one I was so shin sore it took me a week to be able to even run for the phone!! I've been walking about 2 km every day but it's pretty hilly & in last few days I've taken to running ( shamble type jog anyhow) up the short inclines & going twice a day ( can you tell I'm bored & need a job!!!)

I'll download it again & see if I can't mortify myself & run up the road in public!

16. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

So Mykky - if I read it right they are suggesting 3 times a week. Are we doing 3 5 or 7 & starting when? Tomorrow?

17. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

I've been doing this and last night did my longest run so far- 3.5 kms in 20 minutes. That's alot for me and I never thought I'd be able to run that amount when I started. It feels great and I'm actually enjoying it.
    The thing that helped me the most was going through my Ipod and picking songs that were the right length of time for each run/walk part. I did download a C25K thing that had music pre-programmed but it was crap music and didn't help at all. Since I've got the music I like, I feel like I could run forever.
    Tomorrow I'm aiming for 4km run in 25 minutes. I'm only estimating the distance because it's cross country across the paddocks!

18. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Yeah Flogga, they suggest 3 times a week. I'm going to do those definetly.. but whilst I'm still feeling good, maybe add in another on a Tuesday or Saturday. (I ride Thursdays and Sundays)

I'm doing Monday, Wednesday, Friday as my definites. Up to you which days you choose! :)

19. I_love_equines

I_love_equines Well-known Member

Ooh I'll join! Might be a bit hard given my busy schedule for the next few weeks with sooooo many uni assignments due but they always make me want to get out of the house, so I'll give it a go! :D I'm doing to 'Pink Lady' triathlon in November to support Breast Cancer research, so it would be good if the support crew didn't have to rescue me :p

20. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

Im in :) Need to seriously get fit, i am SO unfit haha! Will start tomorrow :)