Buying an OTTB - Can you spot the major physical issues??

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Caroline, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

2. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

We've had horses arrive with almost every one of those complaints, with correct care as treatment they still can race. And it's important to remember what stops a horse racing doesn't mean it will stop it from having a successful eventing career etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it all comes down to who trained the horse. Yes some need to be shot. Most treat their horses like royalty, unlike the everyday owner money is rarely an issue. Racehorses see vets regularly, get chiro regularly, see the farrier more often and the earliest sign of a 'problem' is fixed asap. There's no 'oh I can't afford that'.

Unfortunately there's good and bad in every industry and these problems aren't only found in race horses. Plenty of showies 'abuse' their horses too you just don't hear about it as much as the spotlight isn't on them.

Also despite what the article says most trainers try to vary the horses training, not just work on the same track. It's better for their mind and it doesn't matter what their body is doing if their head isn't in the right place :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014