Bushfire Toodyay

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by oldtenth, Dec 29, 2009.

1. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Its amazing how some people can have lost sooooo much but still that community spirit kicks in! Toodyay people are so lovely and have really rallied around their town to help out. It is very heartening to see and know that if i lived somewhere that was stricken by fire/flood etc i would hope that the people would all be the same **)

2. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Going up their this morning with Shiralee to deliver some stuff.

3. minimo

minimo Active Member

Ash is doin well, had surgery yesterday, he has 3 x full thickness burns (1 is to the bone), 1 x 2nd degree burn and a small fracture.. He will need to be aneasthetised daily for wound dressings and bandage changes for the next 5 days atleast.
    The vets are only charging for materials used but this is still going to be expensive so any donations would seriously be appreciated....
    Donations can be made at Kenwick Veterinary clinic for Ash.....

Huge thanks to everyone that went to Toodyay for all your help....

4. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

Hi Kiah,

yes that is the last row of stalls that have been burnt, (and whoohoo silly i know but my stall is still standing LOL) the trailer you have in your picture is just a old trailer that has always sat there as far as i know, i would love to head out and have a look myself, but from what i have read the racecourse is being used for feed distribution??? so dont wish to get under anyones feet.

i cant believe what is still standing i thought for sure the racecourse being so close to the bush and all the long grass, would of gone...

5. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

That's excellent news about the racecourse. I know our Club would be devaststed to lose 30+ yrs worth of gear and memories.

6. Anna E

Anna E Guest

There were to my knowledge three vets up there on the Thursday - myself and another Ag Dept vet were able to advise and assess but our normal job is such that we do not have a dispensing licence, and therefore we weren't able to carry drugs to treat. The local Toodyay vet was very hard to get hold of.. Our boss kept trying him but he wasn't answering his phone. I don't know how people went on other days.
    There was a third vet there who shall remain nameless - a private practitioner - he seemed to basically want to be there to shoot animals, and when it was suggested to him that since he had medical supplies on board he might be best served to "float" and come in to treat animals when required he seemed very unimpressed with that idea and went home...!

7. wheatbeltanimalrescue

wheatbeltanimalrescue Well-known Member

Hmmmmmm pretty sure i know who you are talking about! Nannoo's o/h was out and about there too - She did carry medication and was more than happy to treat animals rather than just put them down, Thanks Maike **)

8. Arab Lover

Arab Lover Well-known Member

are they needing anymore stuff donated clothes toys etc

9. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Toodyay is overflowing with clothes and toys and stuff :) The recovery people are now asking for cash donations if you'd like to make a contribution.