Bushfire Toodyay

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by oldtenth, Dec 29, 2009.

1. oldtenth

oldtenth Well-known Member

Notice smoke from my office window in town over the Hills area and there is a fire up at Toodyay

FESA

Tuesday 29 December 2009 – 2:00 PM
    A bushfire WATCH AND ACT message has been issued for people in Toodyay between Folewood Road and River Road and people within 200 metres of the Lloyds Hill area.

This means that if you are in this area there is a possible threat to live and homes. You need to put your bushfire survival plan into action. If you have decided to leave for a safer place, leave now if the way is clear and take your bushfire survival kit with you. Relocating at the last minute is deadly.

BUSHFIRE BEHAVIOUR:

The bushfire is moving in a north westerly direction towards the Lloyds Hill area. It is out of control and unpredictable.

FESA was alerted to the fire at 12.59pm.

WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:

Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service and Bush Fire Service firefighters are on the scene.

AGENCY RESPONSIBLE:

The Shire of Toodyay is managing the fire.

KEEP UP TO DATE:

Call 1300 657 209, visit FESA - Fire and Emergency Services Authority of Western Australia or listen to news bulletins

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

That must be the one I saw... although if it is in Toodyay it must be huge :eek: I did check on FESA about 5 minutes ago but didn't see anything, wonder how I missed it.

3. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

I just got a phone call, its a big one, evacuating now. Has gotten close to town on the sid eof the shire office. They reckon houses are going to be lost.

I have horses on the Toodyay - Goomalling Rd, that I cant get to because all roads are closed.
    Fingers Crossed everyone - be safe!!!!!!!!

4. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

I have a friend in Toodyay I hope everyone is safe and it's under control quickly.
    I really feel for the fire fighter's on a day like today there job is hard enough but with the heat we have I pray they are safe

5. samm

samm Gold Member

Some pretty inaccessible country up through there.:(
    Stay safe everyone and good luck.

6. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Ah crap :( I hate bushfire season.
    Hoping for the best for everyone affected.

7. tammy07

tammy07 Well-known Member

i saw it on my way home 10 mins ago it looks massive looked alot closer than toodyay hope everyone is safe if any one needs help my number is 0427983457 i have accom for horses and people if needs be

8. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

If anyone needs help let me know... I am 30 minutes from Toodyay. In fact, horses can be brought here if needed. ETA: and people/other animals. Parents are away so their house is free.

My phone number is 0438 274 278.

9. sil

sil Gold Member

If anyone needs accom my place is open as per accom thread NOR
    I can transport if anyone needs (no float just tow car)

10. samm

samm Gold Member

Dandaragan Shire is also under threat and an evacuation order been issued.

11. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

I haven't heard anything on the abc radio for a bit, but roads are closed.
    I would have taken you up on the offer Tammy, I'm stressing out now. One of the horses is a bugger to catch, the other a horrific scrambler. From what I heard it's either Perth side or julimar side. Which means allot of homes. So much fuel through there, very worrying

12. samm

samm Gold Member

Siren looking at the road closures its Perth side where the new subdivision is on the left through to where the racetrack is.
    I used to live up that way and know the area quite well.

13. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

omg. . . . now i'm fretting for u guys now!!!!!!!!!!!! hope it wasn't an arsenous that did this!!!!!!!!!! be careful guys!!!!!!!!!

14. beau

beau Well-known Member

Stay safe everyone, we are a bit to far to be of immediate assistance but if anyone needs anything please let us know.

15. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

For the people out there with the horses if you cannot evacute your horses try and put them in a big paddock thats hopefully has not much fire fuel . If you do put them out there make sure they are wearing nothing synthetic (including halters)as that can cause nasty burns.

A fleet footed horse may be able to out run the fire but if they are forced to run through flames they have a good chance of them coming out the other side pretty much unharmed .

Research suggests if you have time hose down the horse as than can provide 30 seconds protection

Stay safe everyone hopefully no one or thing is killed as houses are replacable lives are not

16. simbin

simbin Gold Member

its on the old racecourse rd and heading in a north westerly direction.

We have just been asked by the police to use the Northam Rec Centre as a safe haven for residents.

Seven houses have been saved but the strong winds are hampering fireys.

17. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I have room on my property for horses if anyone needs it. I'm 20 minutes from Northam.

My number here at work is 96225153 although the lines are getting busy so just keep trying.

18. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

oh ok Samm, I was listening to my ex's radio over the phone, so I didnt quite hear it. Just heard that it was very close to the shire office side of town.
    I lived in Julimar, and I remember a few conversations of how bad it would be if the area went up. I think I can see some black clouds heading over from the n/e, hopefully there is some water in them.
    Does anyone know of any stockies in the area that may need help? I can imagine they wouldnt have power or time to check in here for all you wonderful people that have offered help.

Ive got room here for horses, and can make room for people. If anyone gets shoved out the back through Goomalling way. But am 100km away. 0421854301

I dont like our chances of heading into town to try and help people evacuate....

19. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

ABC radio has updates every 15mins... had it on for the last two hours or so... since Morangup trucks went down our road... guessing to help at Toodyay :(

20. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I have family over there :( they have been evacuated, but I dont have much info yet...just hope everyone will be ok, and the horses too :( so scary