Bush Basher??

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Eileen, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Eileen

Eileen New Member

when we take my mare out to the bush area she gets realy nervous and finds it hard to walk straight....she trips every two paces!! is there any way i can get her to stay calm and not hurt herself??

-Eileen-

2. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

Do you ride with anyone else??
    Try riding with someone who has a well behaved horse and she might settle a bit.
    This sounds all so strange (dont laugh) but I used to sing to my horse when out in the bush he loved it lucky no one could hear me (how embarrasing) but it worked!!! I cant belive I just told ya that
    My horse loved music we used to have the work ute parked in the paddock while fixing fences with the radio on and he would stand at the door and listen to the music.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Its not silly to sing to your horse. I sing to Arnie all the time at shows and all, I don't care what people think just aslong as my horse is calm and not hurting anyone. Keep calm but remember what your horse does is instinct...

~§Arnie§~

4. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sings to my horse then.
    I told my boyfriend that I sing to my horse and he laughed at me so hard.
    (anyway what would he know he has never owned a horse so he would never know how close you do become with your equine friend)
    maybe he is just jealous??? (who cares)

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Hehe I love singing to him and if I increase my beat so does my horses mood. Its fun... Or carry a pocket radio and listen to classical music on your ride out?...

~§Arnie§~

6. Kateena

Kateena Active Member

My old mare used to have a lot of problems if left to her own devises. I had to get off and lead her a few times, just to build up her confidence... I agree, singing to your horses can be beneficial, except my horse!! She hates me singing!!!

7. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I remember when I was younger at pony club, one of the older riders used to sing to her horse, when waiting for the flag to go down in games.
    1. was to calm her horse
    2. it was such a distraction that all the other riders would look at her and not the flag so she always had the advantage of first off the line

-bec-

8. chavi

chavi Well-known Member

A few times I have been out with Ali I have been singing to one of her mares...very silly songs like the teddy bears picnic and 'bop shoe bop' type of songs. It seems to work though, I think it has something to do with the fact that when you are singing, you are breathing, and when you a tense a lot of people tend to forget to breath...and the horse feels this...

And at least the horses don't notice that I'm pretty badly off key!

Danielle