Burping horse...???

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by preston90, Jul 4, 2010.

1. preston90

preston90 New Member

My horse makes a sort of burping nose weither he's being worked, relaxing in the paddock or going spaz, can some one please give me some advise on what this might be???
  2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

O wonder if he is windsucking?
    THat is swollowing a gulp of air. It sounds like burping.
  3. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Where is this noise coming from? His mouth? Horses can't regurgitate, so i'm not sure how they could literally burp.
  4. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

I`m with sugars mum here, some horses don`t even need to grab hold of something to be able to windsuck. We have a windsucker here that makes a burping noise when he windsucks.
  5. preston90

preston90 New Member

well i haven't seen him windsuck but the noise will hapen when he's standing still so abit worried. I understand that horses cant regurgetate so hope its nothing bad.

if it is wind sucking is there a way to stop it before it becomes a big problem with a collar n all....????
  6. Cornflower

Guys, how can a horse windsuck whilst ridden or 'going spaz'?

Maybe consulting a vet would be best. Because unless you find the cause of the issue, or see him windsucking, there's not much point putting on a collar.
  7. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

There's a vet show on on the weekends and they had a horse on that was doing something similar. For the life of me I can't remember what it was though x__x

But yeah, I agree with Cornflower. Ringing your vet would be the best way to go :)
  8. IbanezGirl

IbanezGirl Well-known Member

i'll be watching this thread, as we have a horse at the stables who has developed a strage habbit that soulds like he blowing raspberries inside his mouth. :confused:
  9. crumpetsrntyum

crumpetsrntyum Well-known Member

I dont know much about it, but could it possibly be roaring? Is roaring only when exercising? Or possibly an infection?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  10. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Because some horses don't need to grab onto anything to windsuck, they just suck in air regardless of what they are doing!!
  11. Cornflower

I understand some horses don't need to grab onto anything, but i have never seen or heard of a horse windsucking whilst being ridden or hooning in the paddock.
    Is that even possible? For them to do it whilst moving?
    And what is she meant to do, put a collar on 24/7 even when ridden? Sorry, just doesn't sound right.
  12. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Yes does sound a bit strange, but if it is windsucking the horse must be very talented at it!
  13. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

My TB burps when he swims. He drinks the water & burps (no it's not snorting like they usually do, it's a true blue burp).... always makes me laugh :D

Totally unhelpful with this particular query but had to share cos I find it so funny when he does it :))
  14. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

That's it. That's what that horse had on that vet show. It used to do it when he was being exercised too. It's something to do with the throat?? He needed an operation to fix it.
  15. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Not so sure about hooning, but they most certainly can windsuck while being ridden or lunged in an arena. I don't think there is much that will stop a horse that does it whilst being ridden as you cant collar them 24/7. There have been some interesting suggestions to work through. Good luck
  16. SSAPH

SSAPH Well-known Member

I'm not sure either, but I know my horse burps regularly has done it in a vets ear at an endurance ride ...... his sister burps as well.
  17. kiani

kiani New Member

Is it a burping sound or more like a weird kind of hiccup? If it is the latter, it could be thumps, I am not sure though. It might be best to get a vet to check it out. Good luck
  18. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member