bucking pony - scared child

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by snoopydoo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

My daughters pony has discovered that a buck is a great way to install fear in my daughet and make her stop riding. my daughter is 11 and quite a timid rider, the pony is 11hh and about 10 years old. i've checked saddle etc and it seems it's just naughtiness.
    i've remouthed the pony but my daughter is not quick enough to ORS as she doesn't feel the buck coming. After a buck my daughter dissolves into tears so the pony doesn't get asked to do any more work..
    Obv I need to make some sort of consequence for bucking (for the pony) but what???? I can jump on her but at 11hh I'm a bit reluctant to (I'm 57kg-ish).
    Any thoughts???

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

Do you have access to another small but confident child to ride the pony?

Might only take a tune up from you for the naughty pony to stop the bucking shenanigans.

3. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Put the little ^%$^$ in side-reins on the lunge and then re-introduce your daughter in a child's stock saddle or western saddle until she regains her confidence.

At 57kg's, you'd be ok on him for just a little schoolwork - you're not going endurance riding P :p

4. Anna E

Anna E Guest

What Wattle said **)
    Otherwise.. Grass reins...? They're quite good at stopping them bucking, too.

5. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I agree with Anna E, how about the leather grass reins that go from the poll headpiece of the bridle, down the mane line to the front of the saddle. If it stops him getting his head down he might just give up after afew rides. You would just have to make doubly sure that the girth on the saddle is done up nice and tight :)

6. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Ponies are evil!!!! My daughter had a similar issue with a pony - broke her limited confidence. I reckon you are light enough to get on and do a bit of remedial work - maybe pony will think twice about bucking if you riding her is going to be the end result of her naughty behaviour!

7. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

*disclaimer: following is for humour value only*

Seems to me you could solve this with gaffa tape and a crop....11 year olds are light enough for tape to hold on right....?

8. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

I think get on and sort this pony out, your not to heavy for it for light arena work.

The smaller they are the more attitude I think. I know lots of ponies that are little evil things but some that are just angels.

9. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

No reason why you cant hop on and work his buns off, the little turd pony. Honestly, if he has enough energy to get toey with you, then dont give a rats ass about whether or not your too heavy!

Ulternatively, you could lunge his pants off immediately after the bucking, or, how about saddling him up and give him a good lunge...good enough to cause and increase is breathing rate, and hopefully a little sweat, then hand over to daughter, then snatch him back if he makes the decision to play up, then when settled again, hand back over to daughter, but snatch back as soon as signs of trouble start.

Make sure YOU look out for the signs of trouble, not expecting your daughter to, and as soon as you see a tail swish etc, instruct her to ORS him, take her off, clip lunge line on and work his buns....then back to daughter etc.

This is what I would do, and what I have done in the past...it works!

10. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

dont see any point in lunging as this is not when pony is bucking..if I was you I would be getting on and "retuning" pony. They are very clever little critters and if they find that something works they will do it until it does not pay for them to. Carry a good whip and give pony a good crack when it bucks and push forward...best of luck:)*

11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Elanda, I had to use this method (lunging) with a little pony I had, as I was too big to hop on him, and it worked. It worked because him being norty equalled hard work! Mind you, I was pretty quick at reacting to his nortyness, and he had his feet moving on that circle quicker than he could say 'jack robinson'!

12. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

I am surprised that no-one has suggested making sure that said pony isn't sore in some way.
    So as usual if it was a big horse bucking and being norty, check teeth, saddle fit, saddle cloth pinching etc.
    If everything has been crossed off then re-tune his lil butt off!

13. Yup , you get on (I'm close to 80kg And had no qualms about riding my 7yr olds 11hh pony ) .
    Yup carry a good stick .
    *Don't* think Punishment or revenge , you just want to establish good habits not bad ones . Go Forward is not negotiable , when you ask for it make sure the little bugger gives . At a walk first and progress from there .
    *Don't* pay any attention to style or form , just go and for this reason I personally would not use the ORS .

If your child's confidence has really taken a hit (and it sounds like it has ) You may need to ride this one first for at least an hour and then if you have to , put the kid on a long lead for a while .

Remember , there are only 2 things that are important here , how safe and reliable the pony is in a couple of months time and how confident and competant your child becomes

14. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

My daughter is 7 (will be in October), her pony 13. She got Cricket for her 2nd birthday. He bucks, my daughter does get scared sometimes, but every time he's thrown her she dusted herself off and got straight back on (after I ran over in a panic to check she's ok!). She learnt pretty quick what a buck feels like when it's coming. She has a monkey strap and grip in her legs like you would not believe. Champ on the bucking bull at recent Ag Show :)* She also knows the difference between the "Right I've had enough" bucks, the "Oh don't touch me there" bucks and the "I'm full of beans and want to hoon" bucks.

Get her back on lead line of you need to.

I think one of the reasons Cricket gives up bucking so quick is because my daughter lets the reins go with his head so she isn't fighting him. She still has hold of them but he is free to move his head. Once there is nothing to fight he stops. The monkey strap gets a good work out!

I have also shown my daughter how to free lunge him in the round yard. He seems to repsect her a bit more now. Don't want to hand her the lunge line in case she gets tangled.

You are definately not too heavy for him.

Umm... trying to think if I have missed anything!

Work on your daughters confidence. What worked with mine was saying "He's just done that to get out of work, now you get back on him and let him know who decides when it's time to finish or he'll keep doing it". It helps though that mine is rather bossy by nature anyway!

Best of luck to you, I know what it's like and how heart breaking it can be to see your child lose confidence.

15. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

If the child has heavy hands and hangs off the pony's mouth, bucking is a common outcome. Suppose its the pony's way of telling you he does not appreciate the hands and plus the pony often gets sore in the back.

Get some professional lessons to work through this, cos if your daughter gets hurt, she will never ride again. No confidence left. The ORS is excellent with buckers, but few kids can sense or have the timing to apply it correctly.

16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

It's Snoopydoo ';' She would have ruled those out already :D

17. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

:D I am sure she has, still doesn't hurt to say it, for others who read these forums and are learning as well.

18. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

At 57kg I'd definitely be getting on him!

I use to ride a lot of little naughty ponies when I was a kid and the best thing an instructor ever explained to me at that stage was for the ponies to throw in ripper bucks, they had to get their head down first, so don't let them :)* Maybe explain something similar to your daughter? Hope it all goes well :)

19. When the little bushwackers were learning ,they spent most of the time on the lead , I was truckdriving full time then and enjoyed the exercise ! If I was short of time I'd ride the pushbike with them , still holding the lead .
    As they got more competent I got further away but still held the line , just in case . With this you can start getting them to ride "no hands" , "eyes closed" etc . The only limitation is your imagination !!
    Once their 10yr old cousin came for a ride , was a bit nervous about riding a horse he didn't know . You guessed it , leadline for the first 15mins or so .

Any horseriding parent could tell how childrens confidence ebbs and flows but having it shattered completely can undo years of work . A couple of easy victories can spoil an otherwise good pony . Don't risk it .

20. CJR

CJR Well-known Member

For what it's worth- I wouldn't lunge him. I had a very naughty pony when I was 8 who ended up a VERY fit naughty pony due to the 'lunge' method.
    Good luck!