Brood Mare Updates!

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by ArabAtHeart, Jul 15, 2010.

1. sil

sil Gold Member

You can't tease like that and spill!

2. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

hehehe.... I'd like to spill but it's not mine :D

3. StormRidge

StormRidge Active Member

My Grulla pinto Miniature mare foaled a gorgeous little pally pinto filly 2 nights ago and i have a buckskin silver dun Miniature mare due very soon, hopng for something spotty as she is in foal to a spotty stallion.

Also have quite a few donkey jennies to foal in the coming months.

All the best for those with foals due **)

4. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Springfield Park Evitah due end of Jan '11

[​IMG]

in foal to Le Davu

Cheers
    Lee

5. ArabAtHeart

Sorry Lee, but I think you're getting a pinto colt... chestnut and white, mostly white :p

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

you calf you !! :p no she's having a Black & white pinto Filly..so there :p

hey I'm just about to ring your mum... or go back on FB

Cheers
    Lee

7. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Well I have had a run of it lately

I have a mare due any day. Foal predictor kit says 12 to 24 hours, everything else looks ready but she hasnt waxed, but then I have had a mare not wax until about half to an hour prior to actually foaling.

My biggest drama was with my WB mare Tilly who I sent away for ET last year.

Had a vet check my recips last Tuesday to see if they were cycling. Tilly has been under lights since July but got him to check her as well.

Recips are fine but Tilly was no where near cycling, so he gave her a Pg.

Get up the next day and Tilly was standing next to a dead foal....a 50+ kg very large bay colt.... a CarpinoZ colt.

So firstly I was angry that Tilly came back in foal....she has been competed all year and then I I was pissed off that a vet with an ultrasound did not pick up a foal that was only 8 weeks off being due.

Tilly does not like needles and I have been having to jab her with 8 needles a day for 5 days.

I was so damn angry at both sides because I could so very easily lost my mare. As it is I lost a very high value colt but am grateful I still have Tilly and she is in good health.

Pissed off with myself also for not noticing that she might be in foal, however she is a big long roomy mare and nobody noticed even her trainer who saw her every day.

So I am hoping that my mare that is due now has a better time of it than poor Tilly.

8. Mel

Mel New Member

:( ooohhh, so so sorry to hear that news, such a flamin shame!! good luck with your other mare! ((Big Hug!))

9. ArabAtHeart

Oh wow KC that's terrible!!! (((HUGS)))

Can you do anything legally about it? Surely the vet has to offer some sort of compensation, as he should have scanned her before the PG?

10. KC Quarter Horses

He did scan her .....all I can say is he better not send me a bill LOL

If I had lost my mare then yes people would have been sued....but as my mare is ok I will leave it at that

11. ArabAtHeart

Wow.. you'd think he would have seen it. Anyway, hope thingspick up for you.

12. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Kitty was 340 days on Sunday, but is still keeping me in suspense,

I flew back up to work last night, for 8 days, i dont see her holding it in til im back again, she has the foaling alarm on has bagged up a big and getting soft in the back end, and a bit uncomftable, i dont think she's far away,

Hanging out to see her suprise, possible buckskin, by Dollar's gorgeous boy :)

13. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Oh yummo !!! good luck Gerbra **)

Cheers
    Lee

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

KC Quarter Horses thats very sad for your mare ! :( did you not think, if she'd been under lights all that time, and not Cycled..she could have been in foal ?

A friend of mine, had her Mare preg. scanned twice last year by 2 different Vets, both said no foal, so at around 8 months-she started working the mare, but couldnt get a top-line...preg test again and YEP mare was in foal !
    Sadly Equine Vets are only human, and at this time of year- run OFF their feet, we desprately need more Equne Vets in W.A !
    All the best
    Cheers
    Lee

15. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Thanks Lee :)

wish she'd bloody hurry up, i want to meet it :)

16. beau

beau Well-known Member

Gees KC thats heartbreaking, but as you said you could have lost both, so pleased your mare is ok, but sad for you loosing your baby.

17. KC Quarter Horses

The mare was in Perth and I have found in the past that just because you request something does not mean it actually happens.

So what I thought was she probably wasn't really under lights.

Also when someone is checking for repoductive soundness they not only check to see what the ovaries are doing but they should also check to see if the mare has any fluid in her uterous. I specifically asked that all mares were checked for fluid.....so you cannot tell me that if a mare is 8 weeks off foaling that she does not have fluid in her uterous and I am sure if it was in fact checked for a foal would have been seen.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  18. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

So sad to hear KC, least your mare will be ok

19. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Kitty still not popped yet?! she must have her legs crossed...
    I've been reminiscing of when Kitty was born :p - did you know she was a Friday 13th baby?

20. Gerbra

Gerbra Well-known Member

Nope, lol doing my bloody head in, but kind of glad though, cause i flew back up to work last night, so will be over the moon if she keeps them crossed for another 8 days, but i doubt it, Shell was up 7 times night before last with her foal alarm going off, but nope nothing yet, saw it kick the other day, its been pretty active, more than likely a colt lol

Friday the 13th?? Aww poor girl, She is looking so good at the moment, covered in dapples :)