Broad Chested Horses - Rugs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Cheeki, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I think Hon would have been a very "big girl" if she were human .. I can't find a rug that fits her nicely :( They are all too tight around the chest!

Anyone got a suggestion for rugs for broad chested horses? She's a 5"9 - 6" .. but can't anything that fits :( Even the fly sheet I bought her the other week looked okay, until I came back the next day to see it too tight :( She's fine if she doens't move lol .. So that's up for sale now (too dirty to take back).

Gah .. so hard :( And I need something quick, as she's being eaten by flies!

2. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

what about one of those rugs with the shoulder bits where is is like a pleat on the shoulder so it gives more?

3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

With broad types, you generally buy the next size or 2 up.

4. QHfan

QHfan Well-known Member

Try Sunset rugs- they are very generous around the neck. When you say they look good until she moves could it be that the rugs are just sliding backwards? Also Nagmart have some sprimtwell rugs that i have found to be very good on chunky hosres (and i have QH's)

5. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Thanks everyone. Yes the rug does slide back a bit, even though it fits quite well. . Where do I get the sunset rugs from?

I will take it to Malcoms (drive past it every other day .. and LOVE their saddles). How much is it roughly .. ?

6. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Oh and Hon isn't massive either .. she's only 14.2hh ish . .but just so broad (thats the connemara coming out I guess) ..

7. Laury

Laury New Member

I was lucky - my sister gave me a rug left from when she had her 17.3h warmblood and it fits my 16hh Clydiex nicely!! A lot to be said for going some sizes up I guess