Brindles

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Halligan, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Halligan

Halligan Well-known Member

So I was just wondering, does anyone know of any brindle coloured horses in Aus?

I think it's about time we did if we don't already!

2. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Supposed to be some on the east coast but no one seems to know just what causes it - the strongest theory is that it is a mutation of roan. It used to be considered one of the dun colours (brindle dun) but genetic research has now largely disproved this. Certainly some duns do have very predominant barbs and vertical stripes running off their dorsal stripe but I don't believe this is true brindling at all. Some horses with predominant dappling also seem to exhibit a bit of brindling too but again, whether this is true brindling or not is questionable.

Then there are the very rare individuals who carry DNA from two different horses and this has resulted in some very interesting coat patterns too (can't think of the name for this phenomenon but it does occur in humans too - something to do with two fertilised eggs merging into one shortly after conception I believe).

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Is it a Chimera you are thinking of?

I read an article ages ago about a brindle QH and I seem to recall they used this term.

Wonderful/striking colours.

4. Halligan

Very interesting Tintara!

Do you know what the chances are of pasing the brindling onto offsrping are? I suppose it'd be a bit like how the paints, pally's duns etc work huh, depending on being homozygous etc :p (I think that's what you call it?)

5. Kate O

Kate O New Member

Yep - most brindles are chimeras, but there are some that aren't. As far as I know, there have been no Brindles that have had brindle progeny - it would be so extremely rare if this would ever happen. No one really knows how it works...

6. Halligan

Bugger :( I want one :p

It'd be awesome to see one out showjumping or eventing! Don't think it'd go so well in the hack ring :eek:

7. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Catch a Bird went thru the Laurie Connell clearing sales and I actually bid on him (hopeing like mad!!) but he went to Harrington Stud with the Cleveland Bay, Levenmouth Immpecable.

I don't think he was a true brindle and I don't believe he passed his colour on.

His ultimate demise at the hands of this person brought me to tears.

Of course, with my ancient and failing memory I could also be rather wrong, so feel free to correct me!

9. lollyem

lollyem Well-known Member

10. Spring

Spring Active Member

wow, I have never heard of the colour term 'brindle' before! Years ago I bought a 4 year old thoroughbred gelding sight unseen only for him to turn up with the weirdest colouring which I now realise was bridle. We called him Tiger for obvious reasons and he was a Sir Tristam I think by memory. His brindle wasn't quite as white as this picture but more a light yellow over a brown body. Wish I had a photo now....:mad:

11. Kate O

Kate O New Member

Weirdly enough, Catch A Bird actually sired 4 roan foals, that were not out of roan dams. He wasn't actually brindle himself, but IMO a very weird mixture of rabicano, sabino, and bird catcher spots.

12. Halligan

He was a beautiful boy, shame he got put down after breaking a leg :(

13. Tintara

Yep, that's the word - kept thinking Chamelon which is a rainbow coloured lizard ........

14. Tintara

Catch A Bird I believe is thought to have been a mutation of roan because he did produce true roan progeny from non-roan mares. That was why he ended up in Vic with 'ahem ....' - she was breeding roan standardbreds.

He was eventually bought from 'that person' by someone in SA?? who, by all accounts, gave him a wonderful home for his last few years. I recall seeing a photo of him out being evented or something and a bit of a blurb on how well he was doing after being 'rescued'.

DUNBAR'S GOLD - this AQHA chestnut brindle stallion has already sired a foal with brindle markings.

15. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Sorry, have nothing interesting to say. Just typing something so i can subscribe to this thread ;)
    What an awesome story. Have just googled Catch a Bird, how can such an treasured horse become part of a so called "breeding program" where starvation was part of this persons logic???

16. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I thought Dunbars Gold was a chimera as well, but maybe he isn't - strange. I wonder what colour the dam was of the foal?

17. Tintara
    I couldn't find him in AQHA registry.:confused:
    lena

18. Kate O

Kate O New Member

Try AmQHA.

19. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

He'd be registered in the AmQHA studbook.

20. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

Kate O, do you know much about these bird catcher spots? I have a black thoroughbred mare that has them and for a long time I didn't know what they were until I did some googling. She is the only foal from the same mating that did not go grey. The funny part is she seems to be getting more of these spots coming out.