Brigadoon XC Course

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Indigo King, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some opinions/reviews on the Brigadoon Intro 1/EvA80 cross country course.

Most importantly would it be a good course to upgrade to on a young horse?

Thanks in advance!! **)

2. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

Intro 1 is good at Brigadoon. It is challenging enough to be interesting but not too hard for a young horse. The best part is that you can hire the course and train over the permanent jumps. Intro 1 normally has a drop into water - it is not one that you can really "run out" from but horses do stop there. There is normally a combination at the stockyards which is a picket fence to a little hayrack. There is a coffin combination of upright, small ditch, upright. Also there is a sunken road which is a drop, to a step up. Depending on direction, this may also have a third fence maybe 2-3 strides after the step up. All these are permanent jumps, so you can just arrange to hire the course for an hour and go try them out with no pressure. There is a portable that is made of power poles that is normally used in the Intro 1 course and is currently out there as a warm-up jump that you could practice on as well. The only other portable that has caused issues in the past is a small house-type thing that has purple grapes painted on it. That one is not left out but the last few years it hasn't caused many dramas as it's been the second last or last fence. I reckon you should do it!

3. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

I have ridden at Brigadoon a couple of times but only at Intro 2 and training which we didnt go very far from the start box.

I live in Geraldton so unfortunately cant just head to Perth for some XC training, water, sunken roads, coffins etc are all fine so should be good, just didnt want to upgrade on a very technical course!!

Thanks MI :) Much appreciated.

4. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

If you ever want to know how a course is rated, have a look at the last 2 or 3 year's results on K-Trials.

80% or more should complete the course safely. (not including time faults)

If you get this ranking, it's a nice course, particularly at the lower levels. (Up to Novice, the designer should be working to 70-80%)

The UK has a season guide with every course rated like this, so you can easily plan your schedule for the year- where is nice to upgrade, where's a bit tougher for a bit more of a test. Shame we don't have this here.

Last year's little brig rated very low for safe completions. (intro 1 and 2)

Best of luck! and most of all, have fun!

5. luffy

luffy Active Member

One problem with Ktrials is it doesn't separate XC jumping faults from time faults. I have occasionally gone around with more than 20 time faults (slow horse & me being over cautious, lol) and on the final Ktrials score sheet most people would think 20+ faults is a stop.

6. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Yes exactly, I automatically think if someone has 24.40 penalties on XC that 20 was a stop and 4.40 were time... Makes it hard :mad:

7. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

I would say in 90% of cases though someone with a score like that u would assume its jump plus time. it would be very unlikely that someone would be 61 seconds slow.. and if they are it would not be the majority of the class

8. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

I have one more question about the EvA80 course at Brig.

How tight and technical are the combinations in this XC course, I have ridden the sunken road which is fine, although have not ridden the coffin or the cattle yards/hay loft type jump over the right hand side.

TIA

9. InkibahD

I wouldn't say they are very technical, the stock yard complex (white gate to hay rack) rides really well, the thing u do need to watch is that they don't spook at the white gate (for some reason horses always seem to take off a little deep) which makes the strides inbeween the gate at the hay rack a little long but the hay rack is easy to jump off any stride so doesn't really matter.

the other thing that gets some horses is out the back its a abc.... all prett strait fwd (a is a rail jump, B is a coffin, C is another rail) but if the horse is wary of coffins can ride a little awkward. my advice don't look down into ditch and keep your horses head up and you wont have a problem just be prepared for them to spook at coffin so legs on. they don't get much time to look at the coffin because of the A, so it catches them by surprise. saying that it doesn't usually cause too many problems its just often doesn't look that pretty.

other than that for intro 1 theres nothing that complicated... a few max height portables and the sunken road as mentioned.

Hope that helps.... there may be new stuff added at this event (theres always something new) but its usually just a new portable. good luck :)

10. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Great thanks InkibahD!

Not to worried about coffins, just jump them a little big still :D

Will have to wait and see what happens at Moora to decide on Brig I think :)

11. InkibahD

good idea :) brig entries don't close till tues and they never close early :)

and just out of interest we are running hunter trials at Brigadoon on June 8th. course will be pretty much the same as Brigadoon, so if you do have any trouble and want the chance to have another crack at the course hunters are an option. :) no eliminations in hunter trials so its a great for training. you also get 2 rounds for your entry

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I walked the course at WAYER. I know there was no EvA 80 jumps, but it was cool to see the changes that have been made to the course.
    Nothing too drastic at EvA 80 level. Nothing that looked like my little man would have any problems. The cattle yards jump well (much like the similar jump at Harvey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuh62W5_XE - He was a bit looky as the first part has a small ditch in front... but for the explanation, see below), the water doesn't seem to have changed at all, the sunken road was the same. It should ride the same as it always has... nice and encouraging. :)

I am using it as my little man's first EvA80 this season as he is familiar with most of the questions and he had a disastrous time at Fairbridge (rotational fall over the last jump on xc) which was the last time he evented (other than Moora this weekend) and knocked his confidence a bit. The YouTube clip I posted at Harvey was his first time on an XC course since that fall. Brigadoon will give him a big confidence going into Harvey. :)