Breeding Colour

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Stockmans Farm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. This thread had so many twists and turns!*#)
    All I can say that there are horses for courses:D but for tall people like Davrac, measured on a stick at 17.0hh at his eyebrows*#) there is a need for a tall horse that's for sure!

2. Que

Que New Member

Oh sorry I actually have a job :)*

How tall is a Smart Little Lena ???? 13.3hh
    Zippos Mr goodbar ??? 15.2hh
    Certain Potential ??? 15.1hh
    Only in the Moonlight ???? 15.1hh
    No Doubt Im Lazy ???? 15.1hh
    Radical Rodder ???? 15.1hh
    RL Best of Sudden ??? 15.0hh
    Zips Chocolate chip ???? 15.0hh
    Doc Olena ???? 14.3hh
    I could go on & on with examples of some of the top stallions and their heights but Im sure you'll come up with some obscure statistic's to try & win the debate, truth is ability is the deciding factor in performance not colour or being over 16hh ;)

Oh & just to add I "do" have a successful WP horse who is 16.1hh & I can asure you he was by far the biggest 2yo in the major futurities & yes he is very competetive but is the exception not the rule in the height debate.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. mod 7

mod 7 Moderator

This thread is about breeding colour. Lets get back on track!

4. Pseudoname

Pseudoname New Member

wont find many high performance horses takling olympics here, that are under 16 h.h.

and certainly dont see many with color either *#)

5. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I don't care how tall he is, Davracs pally boy is welcome in my paddock any day! :D:D
    He is lovely!

6. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Pseudoname... there have been a lot of under 16hh horses who have competed and done well at the Olympics ;)

Jaguar is around 15.3, Striker is around 14.2hh, Theodore O'Connor was just under 14.2hh and would have been at the last Olympics except that he died :( Seriously if you think there aren't many under 16hh horses at the Olympics you obviously don't follow it very well. Interestingly enough, the majority are in eventing :D

Oh and Peaches and Cream was a palomino mare by Chico D'oro who was around 15hh and represented Australia at the Olympics in Dressage :)*

7. Pseudoname

Pseudoname New Member

:p;) just stirring Mirawe. would it be safe to say that the majority are above 16 h.h

from a wb background i actualy prefer the biger qhs.

i know there are alot of biger stockhorses geting around and X QHs doing very well in performance. jaguar is just one fine example. but for a qh/ash type he is still a 'big' horse

depends what your breeding for really, cutting vs eventing.

8. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

I would agree that most are around the 15hh mark. If SSL is 13.3h than he is not a QH because he does not meet the breed standards. FULLSTOP.

OH and I do have a job too running a successful and highly respected breeding enterprise

Thank you for your comment too mylittlepony.

9. I agree MLP, ThreeBars Of Gold is a fancy looking and moving horse. **)
    He is a fine example of a typey colored stallion with a bonus of height.:)*

10. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I just saw the video of him running around the paddock. He is really a beautiful mover, I think I'm in love! :p

11. Que

Que New Member

Smart Little lena is a QH here's his pedigree :
    Smart Little Lena Quarter Horse

12. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I wonder how much influence environmental factors have on growth and finished heights?

Seems its not just race horses getting faster, but that horses in general are growing taller - this is because science has given us the tools to feed well and methods of horse care (rugging and stabling) that enable horses to mature to their full individual genetic capabilities. Same happens with humans. 50 years ago people were shorter overall and 100 years ago people were consodered tall at 5 foot 6 inches! Ever noticed doorways in old houses or roof heights?

SLL was a freak.......he has produced offspring that are on the short size....he has also produced horses that reach above 15HH. Using him as the height guide of the modern day QH is like using Man O War as the guide to the stride of the TB!

Personally, I try and comment on things that I have had a fair amount of experience with........rather than calling on just a handful of years of minute exposure.

Que, could you remind me again just how many years of experience you have had with the QH? (showing or breeding).....?.......and at what level that might be?

13. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

jeezus christ on a bicycle, are you still going on about this?
    the op had a nice question, there was a nice discussion, mods had to intercept, now it's all back on.
    full fat soya guys give it a break.

14. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

agreed, leave Que alone.

15. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

This was the original post.I suggest members get back to the original post.This is not a quarter horse thread per se,it's about colour not the quarter horse breed.
    Get it back on track or the thread will go.

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I love coloured horses!! The more colour the better.
    I love mature discussion even better!! **)

17. GGS

GGS New Member

I love good quality coloured horses, more good quality the better.**) Just be carefull there might be apology letters being written... again!:D

18. belambi

belambi Active Member

Oops.. world equestrian games.. not olympics. ;)

19. belambi

belambi Active Member

I think that I would also ad performance as a very first priority.. otherwise we are all wasting our time showing stallions!

20. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

The pally colt I posted earlier who is ARP x WB has recently been awarded Supreme Derivative Yearling at the Magic Breed Youngstock Show in Victoria. (in May but I just found out lol). Impressive for just a "mini wamblood" and "bred for colour" ;)