Breeding Colour

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Stockmans Farm, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Stockmans Farm

Stockmans Farm Active Member

Hey stockies!

Got an interesting one for you all :)

I have owned coloured horses all my life, 4 of the 6 horses I own now are coloured which includes my 2 stallions.

Yet I hear people say " you shouldn't breed for colour "

I completely agree temperament and conformation should be first priority when selecting or breeding a horse, but if your looking at a paint, pinto or dilute stallion aren't you interested in them because of their colour/breed?

Please feel free to comment as I would live to hear people's opinions on this topic !! :)))

2. samm

samm Gold Member

I think of it as more a case of not sacrificing better qualities in a horse for the sake of a prettier coloured horse.After all theres always the chance the foal will not be coloured ,it might not have spots ,etc.
    At least if it's a well conformed ,nicely natured horse and it ends up plain then it still has a chance of being sold and useful.Yet if the horse is of inferior quality and still is plain then what hope has it got.
    I think sacrificing is the operative word here.:}

3. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Well said samm **)

I have Pinto's, I breed Part Arabians { and Pures ;) } for riding and Halter showing... colour is just an added boness in my books, its nice to get a pinto foal of good quality, but its just as nice to get a stunning solid coloured foal.**)
    So far, all the progeny are Champions at Halter & are now just coming to an age to start competing under saddle, fingers crossed they continue to do well for their owners. :))

Cheers
    Lee

4. mineees

mineees Gold Member

we are the same,we love our duns,but the non dun babies are just so damn cute too. We bought our stock,looking at the coloured ones and buying what we thought had good breeding,good conformation and lovely temperments.If we didnt like them obviously we didnt buy them.But they had to have all of what we wanted.:)

5. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I don't breed coloured horses, it's just a coincidence that my 2 current breeding horses are both coloured!

Agree with Samm, quality shouldn't be sacrificed for colour! I would pick a lovely plain coloured horse over an average coloured on **)

6. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

ditto to the above.... i love my coloured horses but conformation and temperament come first and colour is just a bonus

i am activey looking for certain coloured horse but have yet to find one with conformation i like, so will keep looking till i find one that ticks all the boxes :D

7. Stockmans Farm

Well you will have to come and visit cactus he loves visitors, generally means food and cuddles :)

8. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

wellllllllllllll, im gonna throw a spanner in the works and give you the oppurtunity to knock me down and give me flogging :p

i am breeding one now that is PURELY for colour.

i wanted a pali so bought a nice mare, researched and found one of the best stallions around regarding his temperament, results in the show ring etc etc, but to be honest, even if its born with 7 legs, 1 eye, 3 ears and no tail, it will still be ket with me forever purely because of its colour**)

whats that line off seabiscuit, "if its not good for anything,its still good to look at" :D

HOWEVER, i would never breed my racehorses for colour, purely on pedigree and % winners to runners**)

go on, shoot me....

9. nklpark

Hi SF i met you at Orange grove..... my daughter has the smoochy pally filly and you liked her silver/black shirt ...thought it would go well with Cactus ;)

im looking for golden girl but you can give Cactus a big hug and a carrot for me ... he looked like a sweety

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

HCF, did you breed to the first stallion who would give you the desired colour? If you looked and also made sure conformation/temperament/etc are also ok then you are not breeding "just" for colour.

I have chosen a stallion based on colour. But I have "rejected" stallions of the same colour too because they don't fit the criteria that I wanted :) I am looking at stallions for Diva atm and top of my list are two dilute - they are actually top of my list despite their colour as I don't really want a double dilute foal, but if the stallions cross as well as I think they should it really wouldn't matter :D

11. nklpark

Sounds like you did put a bit of thought in it then ...but i hate seeing ugly yellow horses bred just for colour

12. Stockmans Farm

Nklpark yes I remember your girl she is stunning and was so well behaved!!

I hope you find an exceptional stallion for her.

It's been scary how many top quality stallions have died the last few years!

One of my friends has a foal by u want a piece of me who is a stunning palomino quarter horse and another foal by classic sensation another stunning palomino quarter horse.

13. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

I agree that colour horses such as pinto's, pali's etc the colour factor plays an important role no different than miniatures where the height is also an important factor but it is all part of the studs breeding program to try to breed their desired colour WITH good conformation and temperment... they must tick ALL the boxes, you cant sacrifice C and T for colour but at the same time a stud is on the wrong track if it has a paddock full of bays when trying to breed pali's, so colour becomes important!!
    What does annoy me somewhat is when a breed is NOT a colour breed but a type breed and people breed for colour instead of type!!

14. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Anyone look at the % chances of getting colour from a mating?

I personally think that 'temperament' of a stallion means jack for a guaranteed 'cuddly' foal. Just as 'temperament' in the mare also means very little. The kindest most tractable stallion can produce pig-headed offspring with a tendancy to be less than cuddly, and visa versa. Mares exactly the same.

Anyone who chooses a stallion because they got reactions on their 'cuddle-meter' might as well have put names in a hat and drew one out.

This goes for racing breeding choices too. The stallion that someone views is only the visable product of his life - not his genes.

If breeders use historical pedigree matching and mix that with available current data, then throw in a good pinch of aligning the physical attributes, then they just might get a foal worth the trouble of breeding.

Choosing a stallion based solely on colour, ease of availability and perceived 'temperament' is not worth getting off the lounge in my book.

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

From what I have read on here, noone breeds for colour ROFLMAO.

Some of the horses going around would suggest otherwise? lol

16. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Heifer, Diva was bred for colour ;) Course I had a 50% chance she would be a chestnut :D

17. nklpark

mmm got to agree with you on this one some people just have colour goggles

i went to breed show and was just spectating and couldn't believe the crappy legs on the horse that won....great colour and a pretty horse from the withers up...but not what of would have chosen with those legs and it was a stallion *#)

18. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Definitely agree on the 'colour goggles' comment (another form of colour blind?)!
    I took my pally pinto mini colt and my plain bay arab pony to a show years ago (both weanlings), both entered in 'open pony' and I was gobsmacked when my mini colt won, he is nice, but not nicer than my AP! I found out later that the judge owned pintos ;)

19. sil

sil Gold Member

Poor quality is more a result of incompetent breeding than the colour being produced.
    We've all seen the chestnut, bay etc shockers.
    It's just when the horse is of a less common colour you notice more.

20. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Colour is a quality that even the dumbest BYB can identify and "breed for", good conformation less so, and good paces (ie not just flashy but of quality to make the horse's ridden career easier) even less than that. That in itself results in more very lovely coloured horses with the other physical attributes lacking.

Ask yourself, if it were brown would it be boring? If teh answer is yes, well you are breeding for colour. If the answer is no (and you actually have a clue what you are looking at) then you just have a nice horse :)