breeding black....

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by celestialdancer, Jun 8, 2008.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

how would i go about getting a black pony? as in pure black?

preferablly with 3 white socks and a nice blaze and a mare!!!

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Buy it. ;) :p

3. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

yeah, the only way of guaranteeing it is to buy it, not breed it;)

4. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

LOL!! I agree with that!!

Basically even if you find a mare and a stallion that test as homozygous black so have to have a black foal, they might throw a fading black which looks a bit brownish most of the time.

So yep, buy one **)

Cheers

Danni

5. nimetyau

nimetyau Well-known Member

I purchased a true black mare and put her to a true black stallion that had 4 white socks and got a true black colt with 3 white socks and a blaze. Trying this year for a filly!!

[​IMG]

6. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i want him!!!

7. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

You make it look like easy done Nimetyau. :p

8. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

i have one black colt. how funny are black foals... they look so weird. i wasn't sure what colour my colt would turn but he is definitely black. he is by Oakvale Serenade (he has quite a few black kids) and out of a brown mare

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  9. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

wow what a gorgeous foal!!!

10. Remaani

Remaani Guest

He's gorgeous nimetyau! :)*

Here's 1 i bred (well he has stockings & is black as a foal, PMSL!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shame he'll end up all white!!!

11. nimetyau

I did spend a fair amount of time researching and all I can say is I was very lucky. I got everything I ordered with all 4 foals. 1 Palomino, 1 buckskin, and 2 blacks. But then as well as temperment I try to breed for colour. It took me two years to get the colt so I'm hoping the mare will go straight in foal this time round. :)*

12. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

nimetyau your colt is gorgeous:)

I am aiming to breed black with white markings. So far I have a black filly out of a chestnut mare lol - was thinkin I would get bay.

Got a brown mare with white markings in foal to Frits so fingers crossed for the black foal with white markings:p

13. nimetyau

much easier to buy them - unless you have bred a horse I'm not sure that people appreciate the time, effort and sometimes heartache that goes along with it. But I love it. Some foals are so cheap compared to the costs associated with getting them on the ground.

Remaani - I remember that foal. Thought he was gorgeous. Pity he was greying out. I was lucky enough to have a black and white pinto colt that I have given to Topklass to lease born the same year (or not long after) yours. My friend and I were drooling over your boy and we were so rapted when ours was born.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  14. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Oh yes Vic.
    Kody is now 22mths old & already measured at 15.1hh so nice to know he did get some height, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008
  15. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Is Kody Gelded Ky?

Vic is still a colt isnt he? You going to get him gelded?He would make a LOVELY gelding...Would Be good to see them Both out more often

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I never asked Heidi, lol......

He'll be doing dressage in the future so dunno about halter shows, pity as he's a awesome boy.

17. celestialdancer

haha

i would buy one. but i dont think it would ever be as special as breeding a meg :(

i so wanted a little foal out of meg. that would have been perfect, so now i have to recreate one.

can you cross breed fresian?

18. celestialdancer

just loooked up having two pure black parents - without the red gene. and there is still almost 7% chance of getting a chestnut foal. i think it is going to take a lot of time to breed a meg :)

19. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

of course you can cross breed a friesian! how tall do you want this foal to grow up to be?

20. deschuur

deschuur Gold Member

Yes you can cross breed friesians although it is actually against the FPS (Dutch Studbook) rules! However in Australia we do as these foals are the bread and butter of the stud to enable breeders to buy the friesian stock - most have to be imported too as there are very few purebred mares for sale in Australia and filly foals are snapped up quick (usually there is a waiting list for them).

I myself breed Friesian Warmbloods, these are the crossbreed. My crosses are with TB's at the moment. I am trying to aim for a good allrounds performance horse so thought combining the athletic ability of the TB with the grace of a friesian I will get what I want to achieve. So far it looks like I am on the right track as the foal I have on the ground is lovely (I hope I am not tooo biased:eek:).