Breaking in a difficult horse

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by SMW, Jan 1, 2013.

1. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Good point GTD, this is actually what a well broke horse should be prepared for :) The process of breaking should reduce the fight or flight and replace with respect, trust and thinking :) Unfortunately this can all be undone if a horse gets returned to someone who cannot maintain and continue the training and handling.

I would not call the breaker soft...I just would not rate them as any kind of horse breaker :) What happened to you are all examples of a horse that has not been prepared for being ridden or to do its job and is in no way "broke".

You can never predict if a horse will buck/kick out/crow hop etc when first introduced to the saddle, some will, some wont.....it doesnt matter how much you prepare them as it is just an individual horse thing.....the only thing that is important is that this is the one and ONLY time they will ever be forgiven for bucking with a saddle ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Yep totally agree RR**). Would love to catch up with you for a good chat one day. I like how you you break it all down to small pieces with horses then put it all back together into the bigger picture:)).

3. SMW

SMW Guest

Thanks heaps everyone for your opinions as help me decide what to do next. Will have to find a professional western trainer/breaker who would be willing to take him on

4. Better Gun

Better Gun New Member

One of the best horses I started bucked better than some of the top saddle bronc horses the first two times he was saddled. How ever he has never bucked with a rider on him and never would. Horses buck for many different reasons when saddled for example fear, discomfort, arrogance or playfulness. It takes a fair bit of experience to learn to read why a horse is bucking when saddled. That first saddling or two can tell you a lot about the horse.

As a few have said and I agree, I have no problem if a horse bucks the first time or two its saddled. Its how you deal with it that matters :) Theres no excuse for bucking (while ridden) once a horse is started tho. A horse should be taught to deal with tricky, scary or unusual situations and while certain re-actions are acceptable, bucking isnt **)

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

not one person has suggested that the said horse might have its poll or neck out ';'... a very good reason why horses pull-back- is they cant stand the pressure behind their ears as well as the headache they have already :(

I'd be getting a Chiro or Massage person out then off to the Breakers **)

Lou Francis down Harvey way is awesome!

all the best

cheers
    Lee

6. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Yes - good point CityGirl.

I personally didn't suggest it, as I do not feel identifying pain possibilities on horse without a physical assessment by a professional helps.

In fact - it can do alot of harm by overshadowing possibility of correct training.

Even if pain is preset, and then rectified - a process of re-training will still have to occur. Hopefully with the correct facilities, and the correct equipment to prevent a further damage.

Especially on a seemingly lightly handled, untrained horse.

I would assume that this would be a part of the initial assessment any quality, professional breaker would do when being asked to work on any horse, and particularly with one that comes with a less than desirable performance history. (eg. not behaving in the way desired)

This horse has already come under the radar of "problem solving" when it comes to tie up training - so a professional should look at all possibilities.

The question also regarded the breaking in process - not asking simply "what is wrong with my horse?".

Many things could be wrong, to many to list in the thread - and that is why a professional has been suggested - by many.

This horse could also have, sight issues, trigmenial neuralgia, a balance problem caused by damage to the inner ear, stifle lock, degenerative spondylosis, chronic or acute nerve sensitivity and many many other possibilities - but we have to start somewhere ';'

The horse is going to need other training, as clarified - so it's probably best it gets to the stage where it can be handled on the ground at least, and then make its way to a professional trainer as is being undertaken as the OP has decided.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

NLEC very thought provoking post ^^

I do know of a few very good Experienced Horse Trainers/Breakers & Stud Managers- who don't teach tie-up at all..... they just teach come to pressure to a youngster then work from there. **)

SMW @) Can I ask what Breed is the horse in question?

Cheers
    Lee

8. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

Yeah - I know of a lot that don't either CityGirl :) many many many :p Your response got my brain ticking along as well......I never know if its a bad thing when people say that :eek:

At some point in a horses life however, it will be expected to be tied up, and stay where it is in safety. I myself, prefer to know that the training has been put in place to guarantee it. If the horse is expected to do something - it needs to be set up for success.

I would hope however that any trainer would do a health assessment of a horse at all times whilst working on them to guarantee that they are fit for what they are asking.

Likewise - if a person is sending a horse to a trainer to have problems solved, It would be a good idea to make sure that the trainer actually works specifically on what they are wanting achieved :) SMW mentioned that this is an area that they class as a problem - so it's something they want the horse to be able to do.

Training a horse to tie up starts from the concept of pressure and release which is taught through leadership and timing as you said.

Teaching a horse to tie up, and stay put safely, comes from a horse that is confident in its ability to respond to pressure and release, via the halter and can now rely on that skill without the leadership present to guide it, but that's just the system I use.

Many many ways to "skin a cat" :D To me a horse isn't correctly prepped/broken/handled if it doesn't tie up calmly, safely, and stay put.

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Millions of horses are brain fried by well meaning owners who think they are doing the right thing by persisting.
    I can't understand the theory behind persisting at all costs, even when its shown over and over that things are not working.

When will people understand that training horses is a REAL skill. And that its a skill made up of many different levels, levels that some people will rise to and other people will never see. No different to playing golf or cooking. Most will never be a Tiger Woods or Cordon chef, but lots will swing a club and whip up an omelet.

For the benefit of your horse, you must admit that he is beyond your training capabilities......not that he is beyond learning, only that you are not Tiger Woods. Give him to a reputable trainer who will return you a horse that has the potential to be an honest reliable mount.

10. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

I believe that is what SMW plans to do :)*

11. SMW

SMW Guest

SMW @) Can I ask what Breed is the horse in question?

He is a very solid built quarter horse

12. Your best bet would be Gary Marshall in Mundijong. Pm for the phone number if you wish.

13. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

wow I would never have thought a QH would have that attitude :unsure:

good luck
    Cheers
    Lee