Bran v pollard

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by giddy up girl, Nov 10, 2008.

1. giddy up girl

giddy up girl Active Member

Can anyone out there simply explain the difference between these 2 feeds. I have a pony that is prone to laminitis and used to feed her rice bran just to hide all her food additives...but now it is only avaliable in pellets so it kind of defeats the purpose ( and it is now so expensive.)

Would either of these be ok to feed in moderation of course? I know that hygain ice has a pollard base so was thinking this may be the best option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

Hi Giddy up girl, I feel sorry for you having a Laminitic pony. You are wise to be extra careful regarding what you feed.

Regarding the difference between Bran and Pollard, and for that matter Mill mix, I'll tell you how it was explained to me years ago by a stockfeed merchant. The three are by-products of wheat, when they mill it for flour, so if you think of the wheat grain, the first outer shell taken off is call Bran, and does'nt have much 'guts' to it, so to speak, more of a filler, or as a little extra fibre. Then the next bit taken off the wheat grain is called Mill mix and has a little more 'guts' or substance to it. Then the next bit would be the Pollard, and this ofcourse has more feed or fattening potentual to it.

Whats left is then milled as flour. (I'm sure there is a bit more to it than that, but basically thats how I understand it....I'm sure I'll be corrected if this info is wrong:confused:)

In more recent years Rice Bran has come on the market, and I would assume this is the outer shell of the rice.

I personally have never fed Pollard as I was told that you need to be careful to only feed it for a month or two as it can cause fatty deposits around the organs....again, might be just a rumour!:confused:

I use Mill mix in winter or when the horses need a bit more topping up, condition wise, and I use Bran if their condition is more on the larger size. I did look at the Rice Bran once, but decided it was a little costly for me.

Good luck with the balancing act of keeping your ponys weight in check.**)

3. oakover

oakover Well-known Member

Don't feed pollard to laminitis ponies. It is definitely a fattener and should be fed in moderation and only fed wet.
    Stick to bran as a filler, soak any hay that you feed, as this takes out the sugars and don't feed the liquid that the hay was soaked in.

4. giddy up girl

Thanks guys .... good info and i really appreciated it. Monitoring a laminitic pony is a chore but I have here under control at the moment and we love her to death. Will go back to moderating bran and I do soak her hay already so all sounds good. Thanks again

5. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

You shouldn't feed pollard to a horse at all. It's used for fattening chooks and puts fatty deposits around all the major organs and can lead to immense strain on these organs, especially the heart.

6. samm

samm Gold Member

Try Speedibeet Giddyup Girl.
    It's approved by the laminitis foundation.
    I have the problem with the ponies and watch them like a hawk.None of them have ever foundered and I dont want them to but as soon as they start to get a little pudgy in the neck in the Jenny Craig yard they go.I also slimmed a few off prior to stud season knowing they were going to go to the stallion and I'd rather them on a rising plane of nutrition when pregnant then trying to take it off them when they are in foal and then risk conditions such as hyperlipemia.
    Increase in magnesium seems to help laminitic prone horses also.
    Good luck :)

7. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hey,

I wouldn't feed 'rice bran' to a lamanitic pony as it is very high in fat. Normal bran in small amounts should be ok.

8. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Bran and pollard are both cereal by-products, full of starch and NOT suitable for lamis!!#(

The fat in ricebran is not an issue but ricebran still contains reasonable levels of starch. But it is low GI due to the oil content.

Starches, fructans and sugars are the big NO NO for lamis!! No grass, cereal grains or grain by-products EVER!#(

Soak you hay for half an hour to remove a third of the sugar content.

Copra is about the lowest NSC (low starch/sugar) feed on the market, and is very suitable. **)

Hygain Ice still contains grains so you cant guarantee it!

Speedi-Beet is also suitable.

Lucerne, lupins, black sunnies, oil, FFS are OK. Low GI feeding is required.:)*

Manage the horse like he is a diabetic!!:D:))

9. giddy up girl

Thanks CAROLINE do all the hay soaking and everything else just thought eating chaff was getting boring. Had trouble with speedi beet, she was wonderful at the start but notice after a couple of weeks was showing very slight signs of sore feet. Ice was similiar....never thought about copra thou.
    Thanks your advice is always greatly appreciated.**)