Bowen - what the heck is it?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by HorseSlave, Nov 3, 2007.

1. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I've been hearing and reading alot about BOWEN therapy recently. Can someone tell me in simple terms what the heck it is?

I have a horse with an uneven stride and saddling up issues that I'm trying to figure/sort out - wandering if this "bowen" stuff may help.

Would also be interested in some contact names of people who do it, preferably someone who would come to Toodyay.

2. tariquepark

tariquepark Well-known Member

Gaia will be able to explain it to you i cant no help there sorry but i can say it works wonders on your horse and you will see a difference:)

3. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Hi Horseslave, I will give an explanation a shot and Gaia will be able to add. Basically bowen therapy involves a specific movement (called a bowen move) performed in a set strategic manner covering accupunture, trigger points, lymphatic and muscle/tendon/ligament locations. It can be benefical for a lot of things but personally I find it great for taking the tension out of muscles therefore it can help with pain and discomfort which can aid recovery from injury but it is also great for the non-injured horse as it can help with muscle development and overall performance.
    Hope that helps!:))

4. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

RR always explains it so well then I capitalize on her good explanation and add lol.:)*
    All of what RR said, I'll only add that it works on the fascia of the body so assists in the rehydration and removal of toxins of muscles, tendon, ligiments etc. what makes it so effective is tha fact that it is so simple. PM me if you want someones number that goes to Toodyay

5. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

It sounds great....Gaia, I will pm you when I move back to Perth next March, as I definitely want to get my mare done!! :)

6. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

No probs:)

7. HorseSlave

Thanks for the explanation... tho must admit I'm clear as mud on it :eek:

I'll PM you Gaia, Thanks :)

8. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

In simple terms, they basically on certain parts of you "roll" your muscle sorta and it helps flush the fluid in your body around your system to rid of the toxins...well thats what it is for people anyway lol.

9. HorseSlave

LOL! Now that sounds pretty technical supersezabell - I'm dying to see what it's like now :)

10. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

hahah yeh my awesome technical language... a way to sorta demonstrate on yourself (isnt a proper point or anything but to get an idea) is like on your forearm put your fingertips on the outside part of your arm press down and then just roll/pull your fingers towards the inside...that basic motion haha!