Bowen Therapist, farrier, and anyone for a ride? QLD

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Sparrow, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Hi. Figured I'd put QLD in the title, since most I can see, everyone's from WA/Perth and over there. Is it a WA site? I never thought of that. But didn't see anything that said otherwise. Anyway.

I've got a new horse, and figured I'd get her looked over by a Bowen therapist, as she seems a bit off sometimes. And a few things she's doing, I've read that they might need looking at.
    As well as a saddle fit. Though, I don't have a saddle that fits her right now.

And also a farrier, as the last good one we used retired. And I haven't been able to find another one. And I'm not going to use one without recommendation, as apparently there's a few not so good ones out here. Though, they'd be everywhere.

I'm 10 minutes out of Gympie. The Palms. I currently can't float my horse anywhere. And if someone was interested in a ride, the roads are pretty quiet down here, and I'm told there's some nice tracks up in the forestry, which is about a 30 minute give or take, ride from my place. Not that far, and there's mobile phone reception out here. Not sure about in the forestry though.

Annd, I'm also new to the forums! So. Hi, again.
    Thanks for at least looking! xD

2. ellechim69

ellechim69 Guest

Hey Sparrow we are mostly based in WA but there are more and more popping up all over Aus so welcome and I hope somone comes on soon with the information you need.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the hope Elle!
    Yea, I started to figure that. But it seems like a nice friendly place, unlike some are. So I'll stick here awhile. xD
    Looks like I need to move to WA! Then there'll be an abundance of people to ride with. Unlike most of the people I used to know. I ride every day. And it gets really boring riding alone, on the roads.

4. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

welcome sparrow@)there are a few of us qlders on here..myshadowfax and bek marie are up your way..im SEQLD so a bit far from you for a ride,and ive only got a 12month old colt:p,no need to move to WA..believe me..i spent 30 yrs there..way more horsey activities over here..as for a farrier..try wayne..he goes up your way and comes highly recommened..0438 152 276..im currently using a UK farrier that has 20 yrs exp in trimming clydesdales,not many farriers will do a clydie unfortunatly..anyway welcome to stockies hope you enjoy it**)

5. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Thanks Feather Feet!! Should I tell him you recommended him?

Yea. There's probably a lot going on. As soon as I get a float. xD I'm looking at going back to Pony Club, and trying out Endurance. - Does anyone know if Treeless saddles are allowed in PC? I read on a forum somewhere they weren't..

6. feather feet

no worries sparrow..yeh you can tell him i recommended him..he knows me as featherfeet on a qld forum..he is marco on there too..he is very patient and gentle..as for the treeless saddle..depends on the PC? you would have to ask yours..all have different rules..i cant see a problem with it? i dont have a float either..looking at getting one very soon though..i need quite a large one..LOL

7. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Hello fellow Qlder!! I am at Pomona in the hinterland, I actually looked at a horse for sale in the Palms about 6 months ago :)

Can't help with your queries sorry, I have a Bowen guy and a good farrier but they only work locally. Will be getting out to do CTR's soon (hopefully) when Sammy gets back from the trainer!

8. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Hi Shadow! That's okay. At least I know I'm not the only Queenslander, with you and Feather around.
    CTR. Controlled Trail Riding? That's the first thing I thought of. I think I must have heard it somewhere. What is it used for? - I have a bad memory.
    And good luck with Sammy!

Feather- Thanks! I'll get mum to give him a call soon. (Apparently I'm the only teenager who has 'telephobia.' I don't get how some people can't live without a phone.)
    Just gotta work a bit more on my mares ground manners. Have fun float hunting! xD

Another question. With Saddle fitters. Do they fit the saddle you have to the horse? Do they bring out a few and find out what type fits? Or how does it work? Please and thank you! :D

9. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

LOL Sparrow!!!

CTR stands for Competitive Trail Riding although some of the riders do need controlling :D

When I've had a fitter out they have always fitted my saddle, which is a Wintec easy change.

10. feather feet

sparrow,any good saddle shop will come out to you with a heap of saddles to fit to your horse..i got shires saddlery out to fit a halfbreed to my clydie..lucky she bought 7 saddles with her..all but 1 ended up fitting..and i got a 10% discount if i bought one from her,which i did..ok now for pics of your new horse..:p

11. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Shadow- Oops!! Haha. Well yea, some -do- need controlling!
    That's kinda like Endurance riding, is it?
    I don't find any of my saddles comfy anymore. I've spent 3 years riding different horses bareback before I just got this pony, and a few months before I sold my old QH. That's who I got my treeless for. Massive difference. But they cost so much. ><

Feather- Oh fun. I have a treeless. It was awesome on my old horse. But it doesn't fit this one, it slips down her back more than a breastplate can help, I think. Because when I use a breastplate, it's causing too much pressure on her shoulders when going up a hill, and making her stride short. So I've just been riding her bareback, which is going great. And I'm not one of those floppy bareback riders, so I'm not hurting her back. I learned to ride bareback on my verrrry bouncy 8hh Shetland, at 6. xD

I wonder how good the saddle shop is out in Gympie. I shall have to look into it once I get the money to. I just had to pay a $800 vet bill. Animals.

Annd. I can't put up photos yet, as we only have slow internet here. But I think maybe tomorrow I'll have access to real internet.

Thanks guys! I'm not very knowledgeable in a fair few aspects of horses. I'm the kinda person who needs to learn hands on, as it comes up. Otherwise I don't remember it. xD

12. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

Afternoon.
    Here's a few pictures!
    Before a ride-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me- Is she standing straight?
    Brother- Yup.
    Me- Sure? Her legs are straight?
    Brother- Yes!
    Me- Okay.
    Me now- ...Well. They're straight up and down.

[​IMG]

This one's better.
    [​IMG]

Annnd after a ride. It wasn't a long ride, and we only walked, but man it was hot this morning.
    [​IMG]

And just for fun!

[​IMG]

And one on the day I brought her home

[​IMG]

I'm still tryna figure out how much food she's meant to get. Either she's too fat, or her ribs are just showing. 'Cose I never used to have to feed horses, as we had over 100 acres.

13. sally

sally New Member

, post: 1177872, member: 5353"]Hello fellow Qlder!! I am at Pomona in the hinterland, I actually looked at a horse for sale in the Palms about 6 months ago :)

Can't help with your queries sorry, I have a Bowen guy and a good farrier but they only work locally. Will be getting out to do CTR's soon (hopefully) when Sammy gets back from the trainer![/QUOTE]
    Hi
    I am in bollier

14. sally

sally New Member

, post: 1177872, member: 5353"]Hello fellow Qlder!! I am at Pomona in the hinterland, I actually looked at a horse for sale in the Palms about 6 months ago :)

Can't help with your queries sorry, I have a Bowen guy and a good farrier but they only work locally. Will be getting out to do CTR's soon (hopefully) when Sammy gets back from the trainer![/QUOTE]
    Hi
    I am in bollier

15. sally

sally New Member

Hi
    I am in bollier[/QUOTE]
    Hi myshadowfax.was wondering if your Bowen man would come to Yarrabin road Bollier. I have 15 hand QH mare that i would like looked at. Do you have a phone number i could call him on.many thanks sally.