Bott Eggs.... Removal of Millions....

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by biscay, May 4, 2010.

1. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Horse I know is covered in more bot eggs than I think I have ever seen in my life.

Said horse is Palomino so the eggs basically blend in. I have always removed bots with bot knife but have mainly found these in the usual spots of legs on my boys. I worm , especially this time of year with a boticide worming paste. My boys are rugged though so bot eggs are confined to just legs, and have been removed regularily, whereas this horse is not so they have covered her literally head to tail. At one point whilst plaiting the orange beast up for a show, we killed nearly 6 bots in that period of time.

Nearly her whole torso is covered in millions of eggs, as well as her legs top to bottom. They are in her mane from root to tip. What on earth would you do with a horse with that many bots??? I am thinking of suggesting clipping the horse and discarding of all removed hair, which I guess would solve that part of it if they are happy enough to clip, but what about the mane??? And what if they not happy to clip? She has woolley hairy long coat so to cut bits out would look horrendous, besides I think there is way too many to even achieve that. How on earth to you get the eggs off the mane without cutting them out? There is no way this horse can be hogged because well... I dont like it haha ( I wouldnt let them hog her !!) And you couldnt just cut sections out because it is literally every single strand of mane has them on and covered !.

To kill the eggs it was to bath in kerosene or metho??? ( I cant remember which one?).... but honestly could you bath the whole horses body in it because I dont think I would be prepared to do that on my own horse. I am not exaggerating when I say there are millions.

Any advice or solutions you think we could come up with ??? I have never seen anything like this, so would be very interested to see what we could come up with ?

2. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

I had the exact problem last week, they appeared overnight and I tried everything, kero, baby oil, bot knife and there was just too many. I strongly suggest NOT to use my idea (oh I'll just shave his legs) because now my poor pony looks like an emu and really doesn't like me.

[​IMG]

3. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

ROFLOL, I Shouldn't laugh....I really shouldn't but **snort** your poor pony looks so funny, adorable as well!

4. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

He's had everyone in stitches when they see him, it looks much funnier in person. I could start a new clipping business with the 'Reverse Hunter'

5. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

bahahaha you have seriously just made my whole family cry from laughing so hard.

poor little pony he looks umm interesting*#)

6. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Hahahaha that is so funny haha. :)*

I've heard equal parts kero, water and cooking oil I think it is :)

7. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

roflmao poor pony that is evil lmao *#)*#)
    hahahahaha i am wetting myself lol
    I would suggest a full clip also but not sure about the mane :(

8. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

METHOD FOR REMOVING BOT FLY EGGS FROM HORSES - Patent 3799119

There is a recipe on there that breaks down the adhesive between the egg and hair/horse. From what it says, the adhesive is non-polar, so will dissolve in any non-polar solvents (eg, metho, kerosene etc).

I've never tried this - was just a quick idea and bit of research :)

9. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

OMG Ozzie.... I have not laughed so hard in a long time... that is a classic.......

Thanks Clerrt.. am reading up on it right now.....

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

ROFLMFAO, OMG, I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Thank you. I don't know what's funnier his emu legs or the expression on his face. That is seriously the friggin funniest photo I have seen in ages.

I can't help with how to remove them sorry Bisc. I do the preventative thing of spraying Poppys legs to try to prevent them laying in the first place. But since it's a bit late for your poor chookie that isn't helpful. LOL

My god I love that photo, priceless.**)

11. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

OMFG that is the funniest thing I have seen for sooooo long!!!

Good on ya for being brave (?!) enuff to post that!!!!

12. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

*snort* That pic is the dizzy limit.:)* Soooo funny (poor pony)

I can honestly say I have not had one single bot egg on any of my horses since I started feeding my PC based diet some six or seven years ago.

I feed sulphur (among other things) and the old botts dont lay their eggs onto a horse that has enough of this in its system.

I know this does not really help you get rid of the botts already on your horse, but a good old bott knife or one of those grooming blocks (for removing hair) will do the trick.

Best of luck.**)

13. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

sorry bis, I cant say anything helpful here other than

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMFG that is the funniest pic I have ever seen. Im laughing so hard I have tears coming out of my eyes:p

14. HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAH..

im still laughing tricia after seeing that photo on fb :eek: ......
    poor emu pony :D

sorry bisc i have no suggestions.. except dont copy ozzies idea unless u want emu pony :D

15. Cherim

Cherim New Member

We used to use kero on a rag and wipe over the bot eggs. you don't have to tip it over the horse just wipe it over. if it doesn't get them off it certainly kills them.

16. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

yep kero on a rag will kill the eggs so they dont hatch.

17. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Hmm interesting conundrum I would say from what they are using try both the kero and the metho together. What they have with the choro-alkane that they are using (which would no doubt be very effective but possibly hard to get hold of) is it has a really polar end and a non-polar end giving it some good solvent properties, the mineral spirit is non-polar and will solve up any heavy oils.
    Thing is Metho is a polar organic solvent and kero is non-polar.
    perhaps if you could get mineral spirit and some nail polish remover this could also be effective?
    The thing is solvents are not as simple as water or a hydrocarbon base substance you need to get a mix that is 'like' the bot glue which is what they have done in the link.
    The TCE that they have suggested is such an effective solvent but environmentally very bad I doubt it would be available to buy finding something really 'like' it could take some pondering.

Ha ha the pony is so funny.

18. biscay

biscay Well-known Member

Thanks TBPA... I must admit I read the link and to be honest I couldnt think of where I could source some of that stuff, and would be a little scared to do it on my horse. Hmmmm. I am thinking possibly kill eggs with the kero, and then clip might be only solution. Have no idea on what on earth to do with the mane. Will let owners know and well... hehe that sadly is up to them !

Hmmmm actually I might do the kero ( knew about killing the eggs, it was more about how to get them off her...), then try those.. you know those like errrmmm grey horrible feeling blocks you get to get out coats??? ( sorry for life of me have no idea what they called but they almost feel like emery board !)..... that might maybe grab them??? oh well might try it.

Thanks guys....

19. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

try kero and metho or kero and nail polish remover together on the mane I'd be interested to know if it works. In theroy it should be more effective than one solvent on its own. Yucky bots hope we don't get them at ours it only takes one person in the area who doesn't worm effectively.

20. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Biscay - have you tried using a nit comb? Used after the kero to dissolve the glue it just might work.