Bot fly egg removal

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Faxie, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Hi All, anyone got a great quick way to remove pesky bot fly eggs from horses legs other than the bot knife? prefer not to use kerosene... cheers
  2. equus

equus Well-known Member

Disposable razors but be careful not to remove the hair as well.
  3. Crusader

Crusader Well-known Member

Annoying little things aren't they! I am yet to get my worming routine right to eliminate them all together...
    I use the disposable thinning razors that you can get from most horse shops - when they are sharp you only have to drag it lightly to get the bots otherwise you will shave the hair off too.
  4. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

ah good idea thanks guys! those bot knives aren't that good really

does anyone know if tea tree oil would kill the eggs? when i scrape them off i do try and do in a sand area where the horses won't grazing and possibly pick them up so I would preferably like to know i have killed them as well
  5. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

oooh ive always used a bot knife but thankfuly i dont have any problems with bots no more.... um someone says on a thing to use WD-40 and a lice comb.... and then put tea tree oil on afterwards so the flys cant stick there eggs onto the hairs.

Also someone says that warm water and a sponge can work....

Another says : save your razors and just use kerosine and paraphine oil and do that twice a day for 3 days and then get a fine comb and comb it through and that should clear it up for your horse.

So theres a couple of options you can try and see which works.... hope that helps.
  6. Crusader

Crusader Well-known Member

I wonder if your normal fly repellant/insecticidal sprays (like Flygone or Replex) would kill the eggs aswell?

When I had bot eggs bad earlier in summer I was spraying the horses legs each day with one of these to try and stop the bot flys laying the eggs in the first place and also added garlic to their feeds as an extra measure this was also to try and stop the roo ticks aswell.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  7. EPS

EPS Active Member

bots have no sense of smell I'm told by the vets, so lotions and potions won't work :(

When they're out I cover my horsies up and use fly boots :) which = no nasty bot eggs to scrape off there lower legs, makes life so much easier :)
  8. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

ummm there is a type of block?? as in like a loufa (SP?)

it sort of works, but is a bit hard on the horses tendons if you press hard
  9. suga1624

suga1624 Well-known Member

we use a 'bot knife' on them when they get eggs. its not sharp and its curved and .. hard to explain haha!!