Bored or separation Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Asenath18, May 28, 2012.

1. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

Hey all!
    I just got a new Mini pony gelding, and he's got a bad habit of breaking out of his pen when his food runs out. He has grazing, but just doesnt seem to like being enclosed. He usually breaks out when my big horse walks away, but it's not always that way. My question is, would he be possibly be breaking out because he's bored and has nothing to do? Should I provide him with some pony safe toys to keep him entertained?

Thanks.

2. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Hey Asenath, my experience with little ponies is that they break out of yards just because the bloody well can!! A couple of my kids' ponies just about drove me mental *#). with this. No more little houdinies here I am very pleased to say ;)

Sorry, not helpful at all!

3. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

How did you stop them escaping? I don't so much mind because he doesnt go far, but he gets the feed storage containers open and gorges himself, even if I put them up, Which is annoying AND dangerous for him! I don't want him getting colic from gorging on copra dry(which is what he gets into). ANy ideas at all?

4. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Well, I can tell you that electric tape (2 strands!) did not work #(

We left them to graze the paddock during the day (retrieving when required) and then at night stored them in a full-on metal round yard ! while we built pony height post and rail paddocks.

Pains in the butt!!!

5. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

Hmm... Bugger. He was in Chicken mesh, taller then him, but wasnt secured properly, and he just pushed under it if he could find a hole. He's now in an old choock pen, with chook mesh and some parts dog mesh fencing, lined with corregated iron, but he has now learned how to take the iron down and go under the mesh. Too smart for his own good! Going to try 3-4 strands electric fencing, in front of Chicken mesh, properly tensioned and put up and hope that keeps him in, because I can't afford post and rail. I have him on my fathers property, so can't do too much.

6. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Oh my goodness Asenath, I'm getting quite a mental picture *#)*#)

They are such little buggers of things. :p

If you are game to use it, i bet ringlock would keep him in, but yes, it would have to be really properly strained.

Hopefully some more pony or mini owners will come on and be more useful than me ;)

7. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

I'm cautious using ANY wire, as he is a pawer and will paw at a fence to get attention, but he is also very good with his legs and if he gets 'caught' he freezes and waits for help. He doesn't usually panic. Very cheeky but Very level headed and sensible pony.

I am cautious getting electric, because he IS hairy and he IS rugged 24/7 for itch, so I'm not entirely sure the electric would zap him enough to make him stop. At the moment, he is staying in fine, because we've put the iron in such a way that he can't get his head behind it to pull it down. :)

8. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Electric fence him in. Try and get a cattle strength fence. Nothing worse than disrespectful horses whether they are knee high or not! A few zaps and he will get the picture. Once you have set it up, wet down all his feet and watch the zapping begin. He should learn from that!

9. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

Electric fencing is on the list for next weeks job :) Have to wait until I get paid next. My next question is; Is the white tape better then the electric rope? or Does it not really matter. Will be running 3-4 live strands over 1/2 - 1 acre hopefully....

10. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Tape ';' the wider the better ';'
    Just guessing here Asenath. :eek:

11. crave

crave Well-known Member

BTW chicken wire is for chickens not horses and especially not naughty little ponies. I agree with wire standoffs run off mains power. Give him a really good wake up and I bet he wont do it again :)

12. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I would get the electric fence set up ASAP, otherwise you are going to end up with a massive vet bill with the chicken netting and corrogated iron etc....not suitable horse or pony fencing at all!!!

If you use the electric tape, dont pull it too tight as you will cause all the little wires inside the tape to break and then they will burn through the tape and zap less effectively.

If you want it tensioned, use normal wire with insulators, which I find better and less maintanence.

When you first put him behind the electric, take the rugs off for a short while, and damp him down, as suggested. He should get a zap that way, and he will remember it.

Dont forget to earth the unit, and if you attach to a earth wire that goes around the fence, when he leans and touches a hot and the earth, he will get a zap alright!**)

This escape issue, plus the itch issue might be why he was sold to you???? Pony's can be like little goats....very clever at working out insufficient fence set ups.

Good luck.

13. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

He was sold to me because his owners kids lost interest and he was just sitting in a paddock, with a couple of big horses, getting very fat. He'd never escaped before, but they have very different fencing to me. They have post with the large square mesh? I don't know what it's called, as well as straight wire running though. I knew about the itch when I bought him. He's a great little guy, and once we sort the fence issue out, He will be even better! Thanks everyone. :)

14. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Active Member

We have electric rope on full strength which gives a hell of a zap! (personal experience tells me that) but my Galloway still climbs through it when he has rugs on and feels the need to go exploring. We'v come home to rubbish bins upended with rubbish everywhere and joeys just wandering around the house, cheeky bugger. So I'd assume the tape may be better? But I'v never used tape before.

15. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Big brick wall and add a moat and several fence lines - if you figure out how to keep him in let me know !!!!!!!!!

16. Asenath18

Asenath18 New Member

Brew. He's stayed in for 3 days straight now. No escapes! :D I'm rather please. Will still be getting electric fencing, because the way he's being kept in at the moment isnt the safest option...

17. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Electric fence set to max zap and a collar of electric tap around the neck so that if the pony tries to go under over or between the strands he is more likley to cop a zap.