Bore water - drinkable??

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Cornish Pixie, Dec 17, 2008.

1. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

most is ok, but id still ahve it tested, if your bore is close to the surface it can be prone to having problems. i have a friend that lives soley off their bore water, and it tastes great, but then theirs is artesian... because we are pretty much on a coastal plain, the limestone beneath the surface acts as a great filter for any nasties and iron etc...

2. Born to Ride

Born to Ride Well-known Member

We use bore water and we have never had and problems with it and that is the only water that i can now drink. I hate any other water*#)

3. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

MPL Laboratories also test bore water for potability. You get a written report with maximum safe levels so you can compare your water to it. Last time I had mine done it was around $100 or so, probably higher now.

4. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

We live solely off our bore water. Have a filter tap in the kitchen but the water tastes no different to the water from the normal taps. Neighbours had the water tested and the bore water was classed as better than scheme water. Their rainwater was deemed unfit for human consumption due to the birds and mice/rats etc that were running across the roofs and gutters. No-one drinks the rainwater around us.........for gardens etc only.

5. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

Parents had their bore water tested, it was rated as good as if not slightly better than the scheme water. Tastes better to than the scheme.

6. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

Our borewater that we water the paddocks with smells like cooking eggs, blurgh.

7. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

You need to at a minimum get it tested for bacteria, I’d probably advise to do a one off heavy metals test too, chances are not much else will kill you. The thing about bore water is it varies a lot in quality from hole to hole so just because one bore is good definitely does not mean another is even when you are in top quality Yarragadee bore water is untreated and this is one reason why it tastes better than shceme water however it means that if you do get microbes they can flourish and that is tummy bug yuk.
    All that said I have drunk untreated rain water most of my life which is quite possibly full off nasties and I am well and truly still alive…

8. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Is yours yellow too? lol. OH calls it jandakot juice. I call it chardonnay :))

9. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

My friend used to live in Baldivis, just off 68 Road. her bore was suppossed to be drinkable but she ended up with kidney infections. They started drinking bottled after that. not sure if it was the bore water that caused the kidney infection or exhaserbated an already existing condition.

10. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

I also drink my bore water at home (suburbs) and at the horses, im ok but some people may not agree with me there!*#)

11. Cornish Pixie

Cornish Pixie Active Member

LOL at everyone being fine after drinking bore water - waves to Wattle @) - dont think much will effect me these days either **)

Have got a few numbers now to contact for testing so will ring them and see what happens. Have no idea how deep bore is - we are renting this place - but there is a filter on the kitchen tap so hoping everything is ok.

Cheers guys

L x

12. Tim Parson

Tim Parson New Member

For christ sake do not drink bore water. You do not want what it can do to you. It can exist in ultra pure concentrations in deep acquifers and as rain water. Water testing in these cases produce undetectable levels of nitrates and minerals or total
    dissolved salts. People associate this with it a being a quality drinking water.

Under the wrong circumstances, pure water or deep acquifer water can be devastating to people heavily sweating when water is taken to replace fluids. One must be careful when consuming pure water because it will affect ones electrolyte balances. People taking certain medications can have their diruretic levels altered, this also makes you vulnerable ro it.

Dilutional hypotremia is a real and very dangerous situation which results in many bad effects, the most dangerous being swelling of the brain. There is alot of science we don't understand, for example the brain adjusts its osmolarity to the electrolyte content of the water we drink, if you have a job in the city, drink city water, live rurally, drink both, that isn't researched.

The world health organisation discourages bore water consumption with possible cancer issues decades later from this activity. Get the water tested. APAL will do it for $100. If you are going to drink it, I would stay under the supervision of a doctor to ensure you aren't becoming hyponatremic. Because when you are in this state you are one salty snack away from Central pontine myelinolysis, which makes you parylised, brain dead or just dead.

13. Margart Biffle

Margart Biffle New Member

I think it depends. Some of it is, some of it isn't. This depends on the area. The safest bet is to have it tested and then decide for yourself whether you want to try it or not.

14. Tim Parson

Tim Parson New Member

I'm just happy to be drinking tap water from the city. It took me a year of feeling bad to actually discover drinking bore water was the problem. It was how the hell can water cause this, water is water? Some people can tolerate it, neighbour has been on it for 20 years. Working outdoors I sweat all day and drinking from the bore must have created an electrolyte disturbance. Anyway I love tap water from the city, bore water can be used for 0ther purposes.