Boots

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Koolie, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Koolie

Koolie Active Member

I see a lot of people putting boots on their horses when they are riding in the arena. Is this something that should be done or just something done by choice? same with jumping boots

what kind of boots do you use and why?

2. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

When my horse trots he puts one foot infront of the other, instead of out in front. So I use boots to protect his legs from knocking himself

3. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

Yes I always use boots even when I am only going for a hack in the bush. I use bell boots on all 4 feet also (the rubber tubes). I never know when he might jump on himself and hurt himself again....

I use Zilco XC boots. He brushes his back legs so they are already quite worn even though this pair are only a few months old.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

I've only ever used them (sling boots with the plastic panel in the middle on all four legs) on horses that are coming back into work and have lost a lit of muscle over the back end - not having that strength can make them knock a bit as they trot and canter.

And you can tell with the ones with the plastic when they are knocking because the plactic crunches so you have a good idea of whats going on.

5. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

I had to used bell boot and sling boots for my boy until he developed some more muscles and became more balanced. He has just had an op and lost a bit of muscle tone so I'm back to using brushing boots again. I don't use boot on my mare though, her legs never brush together or over reach, but may do if we start doing a lot of jumping or something.

6. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

i use boots or bandages just to prevent any accidental knocks and ALWAYS when lunging and jumping

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

I have now bought some of those snazzy flatwork wraps ( because im to lazy to bandage all the time) for arena work because we are starting on lateral work and shes already a wee bit cowhocked so just to avoid little knocks here and there

she wears bell boots all the time because she sometimes over reaches and has pulled 2 shoes off now. so better safe than sorry

i have some open front jumping boots for the miniscule amount of jumping I do just again in case of knocks over jumps

paddock and trail rides etc she has bare legs

8. Pocket Rocket

Pocket Rocket Well-known Member

I only ride in boots when jumping, normally in lessons, pc and def competions but if im at home then i dont always put them on.

I either have him in open front SJ boots ( personally hate them for xc)

or in my xc boots, sometimes do SJ in them too =P

9. needanswers

I had this dilemma - my solution was to bin the open fronts and go a decent set of XC boots for everything. Light weight, breathable and quick dry!!

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I used to use boots all the time down home. Bought a set up here for Kenoath but then thought it rather pathetic putting them on a horse I'd just run into the yards at a gallop across the flood plains with 30 other horses WITHOUT boots :rolleyes:

If he goes into a yard down home then I'll put boots on him as he will have more energy to expel from being cooped up and could do a bit of damage to himself but when he's got 5000 acres to roam well, not a lot of point really.

11. needanswers

HAHAHAH GR my boy tends to ONLY do stupid things when I am around. In the paddock he doesn't get a mark....

12. realalvin

realalvin New Member

i use boots just to prevent any accidental knocks . As for boots, the only boots I own are harrison howard currently. i think it's durable