Body Protectors....

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Silhouette, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Silhouette

Silhouette Well-known Member

Hi Guys

Have recently busted the zip on my body protector, I have a tipperary youth vest, which i love, though since breaking mine, have been using a friends tipperary one which is a newer one than mine, and find its sits far too low(long) on my back, Im quite short through the middle, so when i sit in the saddle the back of the vest bunches up and its very uncomfy,

so not sure what to get now as they have changed their design, and as im up in Carnarvon we dont have any horsey shops, :( so would love to get one asap(im a track rider and need one for everyday use) but if i have to borrow till after xmas when i can get to perth i guess I'll have too

But Anyone wanna share what theyve got, and what they like dislike??

Thanks!

2. Pocket Rocket

Pocket Rocket Well-known Member

Yep im also saving up for a new body protector.
    The one i have now is a very old style on but i love it! ( would show pics but cant remember anymore!) Every time i ride a new horse or i jump it is on (Y)

But the news ones i hate as they have chunky buckles on either front or sides and i hate them :p

So i think i will be ordering mine from England as i cant find any in Perth that dont have chunky buckles :D

And i personally hate the flimsy ones :p they have like a light weight mesh over the top (you will see these ones most) heard to many people having back problems after riding in them and apparently you are not allowed to compete in any event in England with them because they dont pass safety check or something but thats what i heard, and its another reason i dont like them :)

3. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Mine is more like a bullet proof vest. It is a bit long in the back though so cant flat work in it, but for jumping its great. Its my saftey blanket.

Its not dublin or the tipanry one. I cant remember the brand but I got it from horseland in maddington. It has no buckles on it to.

I can tell you, i have fallen off twice in it and landed on my back ... I didnt feel a thing.

4. Nicola

Nicola Active Member

I recently ordered a body protector from the UK (feel free to PM me for the web address). It's a Harry Hall Zeus body protector and it looks very good. I paid the australian equivalent of about $130 for it, I'm not sure what the cost of postage to Australia would be as I got it delivered to my dad's house in England, but I know they do ship overseas. They give measurements for sizing to make sure it fits over the shoulders, waist, front and back and many of the back short, med and long back sizes. They also have a lot of specials on. You have to be quick though, as the most popular sizings don't last long. There were plenty of very cheap XS and XXLs though!

5. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

With the length of the back, 99% of them come in different lenths as well as sizes.. so Medium length size small etc etc..

6. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I have a Flex Air body protector from Southern Stars. It comes in heaps of different sizes and is very comfy for a BETA 3 level approved vest. I have ridden in it on the flat and out in the bush and have no dramas with it at all (fits where it should and doesn't hit the saddle).

7. Silhouette

Thanks everyone,

Needanswers, your vest sounds great will look into it

Havent found quite what im looking for yet, but Guess I'll have to go horse gear shopping over xmas, could get dangerous!

8. nae

nae New Member

Anybody tried a Viper vest?

9. Silhouette

a few of the jockeys weve had here wear them, theyre very light and the boys loved them

10. CaseyButtons

CaseyButtons New Member

Hi Nicola! How did you go with the Harry Hall Zeus Body Protector? Do you like it?

11. Nicola

Nicola Active Member

Yes I got it. I haven't ridden in many body protectors but I'm very happy with this one. It's fairly thick but doesn't get in the way and it's very light. I think it would provide great protection if I was to fall off. The sizing guide is good and I'm happy with the fit. It doesn't restrict my movement at all and doesn't contact the back of the saddle.

I'm in Baldivis, if you're thinking of ordering one from England feel free to come over one evening and have a look at mine :)