Blue fly veils, do they blind horses?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by kel_rana, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kel_rana

kel_rana New Member

I was just reading the horse problems website that I got from a link in another thread and noticed that the author states emphatically that blue fly veils blind horses. I use exactly the veil that he has pictured on my mare and have never noticed any problems, the mare will actually come to me when I walk out in the paddock to have it put on and never seems to have any problems moving about with it, even at pace. I have never heard of any issues from any one else before but certainly don't want to be endangering my horse through my own lack of knowledge. Has anyone else heard of this or seen proof?

Cheers,

Kel

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  2. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Ive had blue, green, black and multicoloured fly vales (infact hes got a tartan one on at the moment) and I find he can move about, see where hes going, find his feed etc just the same as in a black one.

Put it over your own face maybe and see if you can see any better or any less with blue on or a black one on?

3. nae

nae New Member

LOL I stick them on my head and have a look around in store, must look like a bit of a weirdo!!! btw i could see out of a black better **) Ive heard blue is the hardest colour to see out off but making them blind is a new one to me:confused:

4. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

For me it makes logical sense that the darker fly veils are easier to see out of that lighter ones.
    My boy has a black one and that's probably the only colour I'd buy him.

I can take a good guess at where you read the "blue fly veils make a horse blind" but I find that a bit of a generalisation. What colour blue? If it's a dark navy blue then it would be about the same as black, but a pale blue then yes, maybe.

The reason that the lighter ones are harder to see though is mostly because of glare and light reflection.

I'm yet to see a horse behave as if it can't see while it's wearing a pale coloured fly veil so I find that blanket statement hard to believe myself.

But could they see better through a dark one? Yes, I believe they could.

5. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I read that article about blue flyveils - where the sight is hindered by that colour (not blinded), and chose to not buy blue ones after that. I now only have black flyveils.

I don't like the funky colours or checks or the ones with eyes painted on them - I think that is all just a marketing ploy. I would love to find some that are black with fluoro edging tho - so I can find them in the paddocks #(

6. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i know of a pony who collapsed when his flyveil was put on for the first time - he thought he'd died!

7. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Pfft..I wont ever put a black flyveil on my boy again....he gets extremely spooky...walks into trees..the whole lot! He would put up a HUGE fight when I would go to put it on';'

Put a purple one on and he lowers his head for me to place it over his ears...happy as Larry:)

My mare wears a blue veil and has never had a problem....put a black one on last week,,,,came home and it ws on the ground mashed into the riversand LOL

8. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

i recall seeing the/an article about the multicoloured ones.... wasnt that they couldnt see thru them as well, but they actually caused some eye problem that led to blindness... i only scrolled over article and then kinda wondered bout the coloured ones i have on mine, but then looked at almost everyone else i know having coloured ones on so didnt really go back and stress at it...

9. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

Well I put both the black and the common electric blue colour over my face and stood out in the direct sunlight - and the blue one made me feel pretty ill!! But I'm not a horse and have no idea about the blindness stuff :D

10. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Not blind but they make objects harder to see, i wouldn't jump with one on but the horse can still see, just not as well as they could without a flyveil

11. kel_rana

kel_rana New Member

Thanks heaps for the response. I had a think about it and have put the veil on her today, it's more to keep her from getting sunburnt then anything else. I think I'll keep using it til it needs replacing, though it's well made so I imagine it'll last a while, but I've ordered a black one for my young fella and will order a black one for her when she needs a new one.

I'm not too good at buying new things if I don't think I need too.

12. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Sounds like complete and utter balls to me! I get whatever colour flyveil is available in boofhead sizing at the time, whether it be black, blue, checkered, spotty, whatever. Currently two black and one blue, and no-one is having any problems. I don't like the trend of leaving them on at night however, I would be concerned about vision at night with a fly mask on.

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Shopping locally, the only ones I've found in draught size for my WB are black anyway....so that makes things simple :)

I'll try and dig up a pic of a horse that is currently rehabbing with me Hen, so you can see why, in our area, flyveils can be useful at night - to combat the mozzies :(

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

I have to admit.. the horses here have a rainbow of coloured fly veils on,- black, blue, dark purple light purple etc.. and the only ones that the horses get off on a regular basses are the black ones ';'

Cheers
    Lee

15. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

I don't know about the horses but I use those human fly veils for riding sometimes and the one that is green I have big problems when the sun catches it, can't see a thing. I forget that I have the black ones on they are fine.

I have used different ones on my horses but tend to stick to the darker ones, also have tried them over my face to see if they are ok to see through in different circumstances ie sun, shade and they have been fine, even in the dark.

16. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I'm the same Marlee - terrible glare through the green one (human fly masks lol)!
    My mare wears only black fly masks - I won't put any other colour on her because a.) I can see her face through a black one so I like it from a management point of view and b.) I think having all those colours and patterns in front of my face all day would give me a headache!

She has hers on 24/7 throughout the warmer months as the flies are just shocking out here and she is incredibly sensitive. Leave it off and her eyes are hanging out of her head within 20 minutes, poor girl #(
    She even has the extended nose flap (she has no white though lol) to keep the flies off her nose and mouth/chin otherwise they bite her there too, little buggers.

17. Mine are in dark colours, the bright electric blue ones are the ones they ALWAYS get off. Monty has two, one dark purple FBD flyveil and one dark blue lycra flyveil. Satin has navy blue.

I don't own a single black flyveil though and find it interesting that others find them to be the most removed?

18. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Mine have never *touch wood* removed a fly mask as yet, they are all good boys at keeping them on, black ones included.

19. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

It's never my little angel removing her fly masks - it's her paddock mates! *#)

Having said that, they are very, very, incredibly rarely off - usually just slips so one eye is "exposed", the flies worry it and she goes and sulks in her shed/shelter until Mummy comes out to fix her "pirate look"!

This happens probably once every 10 weeks? Fly mask has never been removed completely, good luck to any horse who tries I reckon, she relies on hers too much! :eek:

20. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Must be luck then - mine remove each other's sodding rugs so it's not from lack of trying!! Probably got enough to keep them occupied ripping cottons to shreds, so the fly masks are safe :/ fly masks are cheaper lol.