Blaster Worm Virus...

Discussion in 'Product & Service Promotions' started by Murray, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

I thought some users might be interested in finding out more on what to do regarding the latest Blaster Worm Virus. Click here to find out which security patch you will need for your operating system.

Also, I would highly recommend that ALL computer users run anti virus software such as Nortons or Mcphee and install a personal firewall which is available by downloading from the Net.

<font face="Brush Script MT"><span style="font-size:18pt;">Murray</span></font>

2. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Hi Murray,

this little worm has me a little confused. Basically i wanna know that i will be okay and protected.

We have the lastest antivirus software and i keep doing regular updates (aswell as it does it's own) with Norton Anitvirus....

Am I protected from this virus as i am a little confused as the radio keeps saying to go to Microsoft and get the patch, do i need to do this or am i okay with the antivirus software?

Cheers,
    Ness

3. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

thanx 4 that

i didnt really know what to do about a patch...... i just thought i wouldnt turn my computer on till all htis has blown over, then id be safe

-bec-

4. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hello Zahira,

In my opinion the anti virus software cannot stop the worm from being transferred to your computer as the bad boys are using tcpip protocol to transfer the executable file via selected ports. In other words they are coming in through the roof and not the back door even. As I am not too sure how far the security patch goes these are my recommendations:

1. Install the patch.

2. Make sure your anti virus definition files are up to date and include "MSBlaster" as once it is detected on your machine it can be fixed.

3. Install a personal firewall which will tell you with a screen popup when somebody is trying to connect via your open Internet connection. With mine I just click on "Deny" and they are gone!!

4. The golden rule for anyone is...BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!! So people like yourself or anybody with important info on their machines should have a nightly or weekly backup strategy in place.

<font face="Brush Script MT"><span style="font-size:18pt;">Regards...Murray</span></font>

5. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Guys, just thought I would let you know, I had a call from my computer man on tuesday telling me to download this patch from microsoft. After downloading, and before installing the patch, I got a message saying that I needed at least service pack 2 to install the latest patch. After getting advice my from IT man, I downloaded and installed service pack 4 from microsoft downloads, and I started it about 10am, the whole process did not finish doing its thing until after 3pm. So all I am saying is do not run a service pack update if you are really busy and need your computer, because every time I tried to do something the download errored out, and I needed to dial out on my modem to another line (not internet) and was unable to do anything until it had all finished!! So just be aware of when you run it!!

Caz

6. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Thanks Guys.....

and yep Murray, nightly/arvo backups done religiously!

Ness

7. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Just read that this worm doesn't effect Windows 95 & 98, if this is correct, then I am okay.

Spose that would be why they wouldn't have a patch for Windows 95 & 98.

Ness