Black or Roan??

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by CazzaRanne, May 19, 2011.

1. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

I am having trouble working out what colour my little brumby colt is. Some people have said he is black and I have had others say he is roan. He has white flecking on both his flanks (more noticable on the right one) and about half a dozen little white spots on the inside of his left elbow.

I was originally just going to register him as a black but after people telling me he is a roan I have become a bit confused as to what to register him as.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

He's not a roan CazzaRanne. I would just say he is black with some flecking ;)

3. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

Agreed MLP. Roan should have the grey flecking all the way through, but not on the head. I reckon your guy is black. *#)
    He's got a V cheeky face!!! :)*

4. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Roans have solid head and legs and white ticking all over the body.

5. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

Yeah I thought that was the case with roans but have never registered a horse before so was just a bit unsure about the colouring side of it.

Thanks for the help guys. @)

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

If he has a brown nose, doesn't that make him a brown and not a black?

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

"If" he is roan it maybe hidden under foal coat, he does have some ticking and this may/may not be roaning. He would also need sire to be roan, otherwise their is no chance....and he is brown;) Could even be grey...depending on sire :confused:

8. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

The brown on his nose I think is what is left of his foal coat because he was born brown/bay with blue legs. His sire was a blue roan paint/pinto.

9. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

Atlas' father as a 2yr old
    [​IMG]

Atlas' father as a 3.5yr old
    [​IMG]

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Thanks for adding the pics of his Dad! I'd say brown going grey, but you should probably get him colour tested **) Definitely not black though ;)

11. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

Not roan, but he may also be rabbicano. Is the top of his tail lighter as well?

12. CazzaRanne

CazzaRanne New Member

Not 100% sure I think it could be but I will get some more pictures of him today for because they are getting they're hooves done so will get some then.

13. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

lol black/brown with "ticking"

this is my Pinto girl and no shes not greying out **)
    Sire is chestnut Tabiano, Dam was a solid liver chestnut { her Sire was black }

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Lee

oh and ps..she registered as Chestnut Tabiano aswell.

Last edited: May 21, 2011