Black Caviar - Australian Story

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by LisaJ, Sep 5, 2011.

1. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Just read in the Herald Sun that that tonight's ABC Australian Story will be about Black Caviar. Apparently she is the first "non-human" to feature. I would post the link but that is beyond my limited technological abilities!!!!

2. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

Thanks for the tip! Shall tape it.

3. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

what time is it on??

4. cisco kristy

cisco kristy Well-known Member

on at 8pm:)*

5. carla

carla Well-known Member

you make me laugh. thats something i would say. "TAPE" it. do people still tape things lol

6. ILoveClydesdales

ILoveClydesdales Well-known Member

7. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

it was good what a champ **):))
    thanks for the thread :)
    cheers shyloh :}

8. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

She's a very special horse, Black Caviar!

I wish her and her connections the best of luck in the Schillaci (What a great horse he was!) and the rest of the spring! I hope they can set the rest of the world on fire over at Royal Ascot! (Just like Miss Andretti, Scenic Blast etc etc)

Although, I must say, her owners left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth :}

9. Jez

Jez Gold Member

I thought it was an excellent piece - good on her connections - what a horse and how awesome for everyone connected with her. Peter has nothin to be moody about now **)

Interesting to see future plans for her..obviously doing her round aus road trip then following in Takeover Targets footsteps off to Ascot? Singapore Kris Flyer??

Whatever..shes one helluva mare :D

10. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Milk that cash cow for all it's worth. You just know if the ASB allowed embryo transfer that would be flushing her every cycle and flogging her eggs to.

Fantastic story, but you can't half see through the owners and their profiteering.

I do hope she is able to retire sound and sane.

11. sherridin

sherridin Well-known Member

Yep. I hope the story ends well. Shame she's not a gelding and could retire out at Living Legends and not have to bust out as many foals as she can after retiring from racing. A womans work is never done :}

12. Wildwood

Wildwood Well-known Member

I think it was a really interesting story, what an amazing horse!
    And what amazing foals she'll have although its no guarantee they'll be winners.... Imagine the owners they'll be rubbing their hands together when it comes time to sell her foals!!!!
    I did also think that the breeder seemed a little off it that he had sold her... Oh well least he still owns the mare she is out of!

13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

She takes my breath away......I could watch her stride all day.

14. Jez

Jez Gold Member

So let me get this straight. They buy a racehorse at a yearling sale, which is like throwing darts at a giant dartboard, she turns out to be good, very good. So, when she becomes ''public property'', another ''peoples'' horse, the owners are greedy bastards for catering to public demand for merchandise? So shes so good you think the owners should send her off to happy hills farm where she can learn dressage so she doesnt hurt herself?

I must have watched a different program..the one where Peter Moody mentions giving her time off to chill. The one where Luke Nolen talks to his Nelly. The one where the connections mention they had to hire a management team to deal with all the emails and requests for photo shoots and appearances......what the hell are they supposed to do with her? no, no, dont let the public have another peoples horse that excites them, god forbid, thats profiting from her. Dirty Nasty People. Exploiting poor horse.

Horses dont run like that unless they LIKE it. Nolan eases her down and lets her canter across the line because shes got nothin to prove. Watch how many times she gets scrubbed...very few. As everyone in the racing game knows..you dont go in to racing to make money, you do it expecting a loss but .... what if?

And generally people in the bloodstock game know foals from big race winning mares dont do anything..its their offspring. Sunline hasnt pumped out too many. You all breed your horses dont you?

15. cisco kristy

cisco kristy Well-known Member

what an awsum horse, can she do 14 from 14??

16. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

Jez, you are a fan of the "industry" I am not, but I am not looking for a debate. So we will agree to disagree :)

17. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I must have watched the same show as Jez. Milk that cash cow? Wow, nasty. And I'm not in the 'industry'.

18. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Hmm I thought everyone in the story was great they have taken great care of her. I thought the owners (they were only a couple out of the many the others must have not wanted to be in the story) seemed accepting of the fact that it is darn good luck to get a fun horse. I thought they'd mention that Peter Moody even invented that water walker to help horses stay sound though it looked way harder to keep clean than in the magazines.
    Really looking forward to seeing her come back to the races :)

19. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

For once we agree Sharaway LOL!

Im sure she is taken care of beautifully.......for now.

I feel for the huge number of foals she is inevitably going to pump out, most of whom wont do well (its statistics...) and will likely end up at the doggers.

I also feel for her when she gets older and 1. Cannot conceive or 2. Her foals dont do well...... then she will probably end up at the doggers

20. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

i completely agree jez **)

from what i saw, she gets better looked after than the others cos shes so special.

so its Ok to make money from decent horses, no one sais anything about them, but once a horse is a champion, the owners are greedy and its all about money???

that dosnt make sense!!

anyways, what an absolute freak and a stunning animal, good luck to her and i hope she stays sound **)