Black Buckskin! YAY!!

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Golden Biscuit, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

We have been doing alot of research on Flights proper colour as he is very strange lol, i can now confirm that he is officially Black Buckskin! On his Rego papers it says smokey black-which we just thought was black- but it is actually another name for Black Buckskin!! He has double dilute parents and can now be shown in colour classes with Bickie soooo YAY!!!!

2. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol, silly, i could of told you that!
    Mind you, to be 100% sure, you'll proberly still have to be Colour Tested for the Creme Gene as he might still only be a "black".
    (isnt his dam pali pinto & the sire silver taffy?? So not double dilutes.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008
  3. Golden Biscuit

I thought that too, but he has a very defined dorsal stripe and he has both parents have the dilute gene so no need for colour testing acording to UPWBDA :p

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  4. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Smokey-Black is actually the correct term for the colour :)

If he is a miniature I would not trust rego papers to have the correct colours down, my pally was reg as a buckskin originally and many many many mini's are registered incorrectly!

*ETA* - Both parents are double dilute?

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Ok, his sire, Sterling Paper Money is Silver Taffy, so NOT a double dilute.
    His dam, Ellenbrook What A Stunner is pali pinto (i think), so again, NOT double dilute.

Are they the right parents on the rego card?

6. Golden Biscuit

Sorry both parents are single dilute- and he is registered that colour and according to UPWBDA if both parents have he dilute gene he doesnt need to be colour tested to be a black buckskin, or smokey black :D

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Hmm i thought you'd still need to Colour Test?
    As he could still be a "plain ole black".
    Look here, he's advertised as blue/black. :D
    For Sale

8. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

This isnt so much directed at you BEB - but are they oblivious to the fact that without testing, if the horse "looks" black it could well just be black? having single dilute parents does NOT mean you definitely have a dilute.

Is there another reason they are willing to accept without testing?

9. Golden Biscuit

He has all the qualities- appears black/brown with a golden irredecence, has a prodominant dorsal stripe and has the white hair in his ears and was recorded on his papers as a 2 yr old.

10. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

thanks, was just checking, I thought there must be more to it than just the parents **)

11. Golden Biscuit

Yeh weve been researching- but just wanted to say how excited we were!! :D

12. mineees

mineees Gold Member

we have two black buckskins(we think)..one is reg as a Buckskin was classified by the buckskin and dun ass,the other needs to be DNA'd.the difference in them is huge..our gelding maybe just a black.:( ..good luck with yours.will post two piks of ours...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

Umm Buckskins DONT have a dorsal stripe?
    Duns have dorsal stripes?

thats right isnt it?

14. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

some bays have dorsal stripes...one of mine does - but its a specific "type" of dorsal that is a dun trait... not sure if I'd be relying on that as an indication of buckskin tho.

15. skiddlez

skiddlez Gold Member

If im correct both buckskin and dun's and dorsal stripes but i could be wrong....

16. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

BEB, I'm excited for you. He sounds very spunky.**)

17. Golden Biscuit

Thankyou Marianne :D im uploading a few pics of him now- just waiting on Photobucket :p

18. Golden Biscuit

Heres a few of him yesterday after him and bickie had a big burl around so hes pretty dusty but you can see the golden irridecence that is the main giveaway of the colour :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

A link to the requirements from UPWBDA: Buckskin

and a quote from the link:)*
    "Please note that all horses / ponies being presented for registration as black buckskins will be required to undergo DNA testing for the creme factor unless they have a double dilute parent, have produced double dilute progeny or single dilute progeny to proven non-dilute partners."

hope this helps:)*

20. Golden Biscuit

Thanks goodie- have read that and talked to some people in the office there and they said he posseses all the traits and because it is on his rego's he can be shown as that until the age of 4 when he gets reassesed but should be fine- if we wanted to register him with the UPWBDA he would need to be tested but hes reg'd with NMR so it stands. :D